1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Who's the best GM

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Osmekaman, Mar 7, 2009.

1. Osmekaman

Osmekaman BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +31
    Almost every thread over the last 12-18 months has carried either veiled or outright criticism of AJ Smith.
    NFL exec of the year a couple of seasons ago to ridicule by many of his own fans.
    i am as frustrated with the Bolts regular season regression during the "Norv era", however the AJ hate fest is becoming tiresome.

So, 2 things - who in Charger history has been a better GM - Beathard, Butler, Ort..... (can't even say it) - please tell me?
    Secondly, who out there is guaranteed to do a better job for us?

Cheers

• Like Like x 2
  2. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    AJ Smith. The haters need to remember the past before the beg for it again.

• Like Like x 1
  3. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    Most of the haters weren't born in the "past". They climbed on the bandwagon via LT's jock.

• Like Like x 2
  4. ChargerJeff

ChargerJeff Boltaholic

Ratings:
    +352
    Bingo - how many of the haters were even watching games when they went 1-15

• Like Like x 1
  5. Nomad

Nomad Very Senior Member

Ratings:
    +155
    AJ without a doubt. We have not had a better one since 1961 for sure.

• Like Like x 1
  6. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    This really is a great question. And not for this pissing-contest I'm-a-better-fan-than-you reason... but because I'm curious how our fan base has evolved and grown over the last 10 years.

7. timepiece33

timepiece33 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +25
    He's probably the best GM the Chargers have had since the late 70s and early 80s.

Right now, he has the team on the verge of very good things ... but there is something keeping us from taking the next step.

• Like Like x 1
  8. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    Very True. Many of the AJ Haters haven't seen this team with Beatherd or even the knuckleheads before him. I'm not saying AJ is "god" but he's done a pretty solid job overall. People bring up his shortcomings all the time but look at the good he's done. Rivers, Merriman, Cro, McNeil, Turner, Coop, Dielman, etc, etc. We probably wouldn't even be where we are without him. And he's not done yet.

9. Osmekaman

Osmekaman BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +31
    Obviously the above period and the sixties are the two eras that compete with the present for the level of talent in the team.
    What these two eras didn't have to contend with were the salary cap and free agency.
    guys like Fouts, Alworth etc basically belonged to the Bolts and it is these two things that makes the modern GM's job so much more difficult than previous eras.

10. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,930
    I lived when I had TWO good years as a Charger fan and the rest....well.....thank God I was also a Yankee fan so I can experience some sense of winning. I think we've gotten really spoiled.

11. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    I've been a Bolt fan since the late 60's and I ain't about to change now.

12. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +689
    Gilman would be #1 in my book, but he was HC as well in the 60s and it was a different world, but he acquired exceptional players.

Bethard was good until the salary cap turned his head sideways.

In the modern era of the league, AJ.

13. pure-sol

pure-sol Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +255
    This is stupid. God forbid any younger people become fans of the Chargers via "LT's jock" as you so eloquently put it. I'm sure you climbed aboard the bandwagon via Fouts' jock. If not him, it was most likely some other superstar that got you to like the bolts.

14. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +984
    Great post! A.J. can only do so much, then the coaches and the team have to perform. Some people hate A.J. because he's supposedly an egotist. Some hate him because they hate Norv. It's just retarded. A.J. has presided over as good an era as Charger fans have had. Yes, we haven't won it all, but people who lay all that on A.J. just haven't been paying attention.

15. sickswonnyne

sickswonnyne Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +79
    I started watching football in the third grade when we went to the superbowl. Noone in my famil watched it so that was my way into the football world. But I haven't stopped since. I remember that 1-15 season, I watched every game thinking we were bound to win. But the only game I remember from that season was the one we won. Versus KC with an old-*** Warren Moon (their backup) as the starter. And I was happy as hell.

As for GMs, who's the best one in the league now? AJ Smith is definately in the discussion. So is the Colts GM, i.m.o.

16. TheBeast

TheBeast BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +127
    I think it's a little bias to say young fans jumped on the bandwagon because since i little I woul remember watching Charger games with my dad.

Idealy the first game I remember was our AFC championship win against the Stilers to advance to the superbowl :)

Anyways back to the point, AJ has had a big part in the Chargers turn around into a power in the nfl again....no doubt he has a knack for drafting, he's a great GM.

I don't if he's the best because even the Pats are one of the teams I despise the most, Kraft has done an excellent jobe with that franchise. they seem to be competetive even when they have nothing I mean...

No Brady
    No Thomas
    No Harrison
    No Maroney

That's most of your offense and D right there nad they still manage to go 11-5 but...I'm happy with Aj.

17. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

I remember the past very well... I JUST DON'T LIVE IN IT!!!
    Neither do any of the players!

How about this...
    PUTTING THE TEAM TOGETHER WHEN YOUR LOSING IS THE EASY PART!!! CAUSE YOU HAVE NOTHING TO LOSE!!!
    NOW... Where his real justification begins. So far... not good! :icon_evil:

18. Showmeyourbolt

Showmeyourbolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +192
    one 14-2 season and a bunch of average years doesn't make you the best gm in the history of the team.

19. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    OK. Give us the name then.

20. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    Agreed.

Sid Gilman #1
    A.J. Smith #1a

21. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Yankees!?!? Yankees? Ant, that just makes me wanna puke on your shoes. :lol:

:yes: :yes: :icon_toast:

22. Osmekaman

Osmekaman BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +31

Respect your opinion, but we are currently a playoff contender every season.
    We also have a talent level that makes us a superbowl contender every season (as yet unfulfilled by coaching and player miscues/injuries, etc etc).
    We have only had three previous "eras" like this in our history - early 60's, late 70's, early 90's.

One day we may look back on these "average years" with envy.

23. Charger Dave

Charger Dave Dead account

Ratings:
    +1,028
    :tup::tup::tup: