1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Who's the best in the AFC?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by MasterOfPuppets, Oct 16, 2006.

1. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +607
    from ESPN : 5 Burning questions

4 out of 5 ain't bad :tup:

2. bigcarson50

bigcarson50 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +54
    After reading Hoge's thoughts... wow

Let's keep it up and hope that Marty never reverts to run run run (unless of course other D's start fearing Rivers and play full with 5 DB's full time :lol:

3. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,880
    they have the best young quarterback (Rivers)

wow:icon_eek:

4. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,880
    and it wasn't salisbury who thought we weren't the best

5. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,508
    Theezeman is a joke. Not because he didn't pick the Bolts, but because his logic is so flawed.

The only thing that's changed with the Colts is that they are not as good as last year, when they also couldn't get it done. The Colts can't run and can't stop the run. The only way they win games is on the strength of Manning's arm. They are not a championship team.

6. SDC-IL

SDC-IL BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +9
    The Colts are actually in the middle of the pack rushing. That said, you are right about not being able to stop the run.

Also, Denver has not impressed me this year. Offensively, they have issues. Cincinnati and Baltimore have issues.

Though, IF there is one team in the AFC that worries me right now, it's New England. They know when to show when the spotlights are aglow.

7. ntman68

ntman68 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +139
    I shiver thinking of what Manning could do against our secondary, though...

8. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,508
    Teams are not keying on the Colts run game at all. They are focused on Manning. If the Colts cannot be better than the middle of the pack in rushing, then they can't run.

The Colts are averaging only 3.8 yards per carry and are one of only three teams with 0 runs of 20+ yards.

9. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,508
    What did he do against our secondary last year, with better weapons around him?

10. Thread_Killer

Thread_Killer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +680
    Does anybody else think that LT is overrated?

11. montanabolthead

montanabolthead BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +30
    Theismann should look closer at Indy. The Titans almost whacked them and every team that has played them, has run for big yards. It looks like there is some wishful thinking that the Dolts are the next SB winners. Not!

12. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,508
    LT sucks.

Attached Files:

13. Thread_Killer

Ratings:
    +680
    I ain't stirring the pot this time, bro. I don't think LT is the best back in football. :no:

14. ntman68

Ratings:
    +139
    I hear you, but I believe our victory over the Colts last year was a perfect storm (no pun intended). I won't diminish the accomplishment, but I think that if we played that game 5 times, we lose 4 of them.

15. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,508
    Well after seeing him in person, I think you're crazy if you think he's not.

16. Thread_Killer

Ratings:
    +680
    That's cool, I respect your opinion. We can just agree to disagree.

17. MasterOfPuppets

Ratings:
    +607
    best back in football <> perfect, or the best of all time

with that in mind, who would you say is the best back in football?

I agree that LT does nt look as dominant as we did a few years back, but there is no other RB I would like to have over LT

18. AnteaterCharger

Ratings:
    +2,880
    i shiver when I think of our front seven against their offensive line
    I shiver with goosebumps of delight :lol:

19. exodus

exodus Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +133
    No kidding. And he's saying they're not soft??? And responding well to playing without Edge?!?

The Chargers are really playing at a higher level right now. They need to keep this thing rolling.:tup:

20. Thread_Killer

Ratings:
    +680
    I'd have to think about it. LT had AMAZING fantasy league numbers yesterday, but he still only had a 3.4 ypc average. And the people who attended the game could see that LT wasn't touched on three of his TD's.

I'm just saying that his performance yesterday was overhyped, and he might be a tad overrated by the media right now.

21. MasterOfPuppets

Ratings:
    +607
    Maybe, yesterday was not an impresive day for LT (althought that TD where he jumped over the standing line men was great)

Maybe we're spoiled and if LT doesn't run for 150 and 2 TD we think he's losing it.

Maybe the fact that there are other weapons that can be used just as effectively take the spot light away from LT.

Again, there is no other RB I would like to have over LT, so to me, that makes him the best in football

22. Thread_Killer

Ratings:
    +680
    Well said. I like having LT in Lightning Bolts as well. :tup:

23. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,508
    I don't know how you can say that, when we went into their house and dominated them.

24. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,508
    Yes, but when you see LT with the ball, when you see him in space, when you see him stiff arm Sammy davis to the turf with ease, when you see him stop and start and make three cuts in the time it takes most backs to make one, you realize that he's in a whole different league. Whether he was touched or not on those plays, LT was amazing yesterday. Even without the touchdowns. I don't care about his YPC. Stats don't tell the whole story. LT was amazing. It was one of his best performances, at least of the many I've seen live.

And let's not forget his pass receiving. LT averaged 9 yards per reception. 140 yards from scrimmage and 4 TDs is not exactly an off day.

Last week, while his numbers weren't eye-popping, LT was great in blitz pickup. He stoned Polamalu on several blitzes, giving Rivers plenty of time to pick apart the Steelers.

25. ntman68

Ratings:
    +139
    Yes, but that game was bracketed by three losses, two of which should have been won without much dispute. My only point is, the Chargers track record is one of inconsistency, that's all.

26. PhillyChargerFan

PhillyChargerFan New Member

Ratings:
    +288

Yeah but we didn't have Oben for those games...

27. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,508
    Are we talking about last year's team or this year's? This year's team has not been very inconsistent.

#1 in the AFC in Offense

#1 in the AFC in Defense

Averaging
    30 points per game

10 points allowed

Where's the inconsistency?

28. ntman68

Ratings:
    +139
    Well, I was talking about last years team... the one that beat the Colts. The 2006 squad is playing very steady right now, and I couldn't be happier. The point of my original post was that, given the performace of our secondary against the 49ers, I would imagine Peyton and crew would have done more damage.

29. exodus

exodus Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +133
    Peyton is still having nightmares about Shawne.:yes:

30. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,508
    You seem to be one of those people that, if given any chance to worry, you will. Our secondary allowed some plays against the Niners, but we also shut them out in the 2nd half. In the 2nd half this year, we've allowed 16 points in 5 games. 3 points per game in the 2nd half. That's incredible.

I was not happy about some of the plays we gave up in the first half, either. But we corrected those things and played well in the 2nd half.

You aren't going to shut out every opponent.