1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Whos to blame for all of our injuries?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by NORV4LIFE, Dec 26, 2010.

1. NORV4LIFE

NORV4LIFE NO MORE NORV!!!!!

Ratings:
    +58
    This year we've had an excessive amount of injuries. WHos to blame?

NORV?

AJ?

Training Staff?

Other?
    >
    ?
    ?
    ?
    ?
    ?
    ?
    ?
    ?
    ?

2. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    Shat happens.

3. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,551
    F*uck injuries.

You don't lose to a 3-11 team with Philip f*ucking Rivers throwing the ball, and the #1 defense in the league.

Norv is to blame.

4. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    The Packers have had more injuries than we have, and they are still likely to be a # 2 or 3 seed. Injuries are an excuse

5. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    Losers whine about injuries and use them as an excuse for losing.

Winners fight through them and find a way to keep winning.

Which one are you N4L?

6. Brundlefly

Brundlefly Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +370
    I have a guess... Norv?

7. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    We had more injuries last year and still pulled it out. We had tons of injuries in 2007 and fought our way through the playoffs even losing our best horses.

I don't want to hear about injuries

8. NORV4LIFE

NORV4LIFE NO MORE NORV!!!!!

Ratings:
    +58
    I didn't say we missed playoffs cuz of injuries, just that we had an excessive amount.

9. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,394
    It's all the above and (I know there's some that will eat me alive for this, but I'll say it...) a little bit of Marty too.

Norv doesn't develop talent that aren't QB's or WR's (and really the WR's are more Charlie Joyner far more so than Norval), and he doesn't hired positional coaches or assistants worth a lick that are capable of developing and polishing guys in terms of technique. From a purely technical standpoint, our trench players are terrible (poor handwork, mediocre footwork, mediocre development of pass-rushing moves, or sticking with a play till the whistle is blown)... Dielman and Hardwick were the lone saving graces for the OL and even they fell off this year - for whatever reason. Thus, Norv and his staff bear blame for us not having the kind of depth necessary to succeed in today's NFL when and where injuries and how readily you can respond to them are a huge part of the game.

AJ bear a significant portion of the blame because he is drafting like he still has Marty's staff here or like he doesn't recognize how hapless the majority of Norv's staff is. When we had great positional coaches and could develop talent then AJ was in his element with selecting the guys who had tremendous motor, athletic ability, and high ceilings over perhaps shoddier and less-polished technique because we had the guys capable of honing said technique. Now... not so much. AJ's fault in this department has largely been a failure to adapt... and as we saw this season, overvaluing youth - which is what really came to bite us in the rear end on special teams.

The training staff and I would argue strength and conditioning programs need massive improvement around these parts. Obviously the training staff can't magically make a player's body heal quicker than it is physically able to, but with the fact that we continue to see the same types of injuries pop up just with different players from year to year recently, there is something in the training regimen that is off-kilt from what it should be. It may be something as simple as not planning ahead properly and proactively (not sitting players down and setting goals at the close of one season to be striven to be achieved in the next); somehow I highly suspect complacency has become a big contributor to the issue with this particular sect of staff.

And yes... I do believe that Marty shares a small portion of this blame - though it is the smallest part because if Norv was at all competent in hiring proper assistants this should have only been an issue for one maybe two seasons before being rectified. Rob Chudzinksy were were going to lose no matter what after the '06 season... he was offered a promotion (LB coach in SD to DC in Cleveland), but Marty allowed top-notch positional coaches like Hudson Houck and Wayne Nunnely to interview and hire on laterally (same position) with other teams (in Nunnely's case a division rival) because Marty felt that he could just plug in another guy up the food chain... and that flat out didn't work.

10. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    And I am saying it is a totally pointless subject. Injuries are not the reason this team is where it is, Norv and AJ are the reason

11. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,581
    Packers cannot be a 2 or 3 seed. They need to win out just to make the wild card. Bears already won the division and will have a first round bye. Falcons can lock up home field advantage with a win this week.