1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Who's your favorte broadcaster

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Dec 10, 2009.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    Rating the talking heads

All season long, I’ve been blogging about football. As a former (some say failed) sportswriter, I feel only partially qualified to do so. But that sure didn’t prevent me from voicing my opinion about the Chargers, LT, Norv, AJ, Tila Tequila, the defensive line -- you name it.

Predictably, I was wrong many times. My analysis was often pedestrian and my predictions were pretty lame.

So, for a refreshing change of pace, I’m going to write about something I actually know a little about —Television.

With the Chargers on a seven-game winning streak, I’ve been watching a lot of TV lately. Gotta see the games, of course. But I also can’t miss a single highlight, injury report, or postgame interview.

ESPN, Fox Sports, NFL network, ESPN 2 … When the Chargers are winning, I watch it all.

So here is my random, yet somewhat expert analysis of the talking heads that cover the NFL.

• John Gruden: Even though he’s a former Raiders head coach, I kinda like the guy. But C’mon. The big gig on Monday Night Football? Fire the casting director! Gruden is trying to fill some pretty big shoes. But you know what they say… small feet, small talent. He’s pretty much just a cheerleader, telling us how “awesome” everything and everyone is.

• Chris Collinsworth: He’s smart, insightful and not afraid to voice an opinion. High marks, for sure.

• Mike Ditka: Very entertaining. He’s almost got a Charles Barkley thing going.

• Keyshawn Johnson: Much improved, but still has a long way to go. Needs to stop trying to impress us with his USC education.

• Tom Jackson: Mr. Integrity. I believe everything he says. Except when he says “good point, Keyshawn.”

• Chris Berman: Our generation’s Howard Cosell. Funny. Smart. The best.

• Suzy Kolber: Anyone who can survive a blotto Joe Namath and run stride for stride with Tom Brady is certainly a talent. Plus, I love the home video of her playing pee wee football as a little girl.

• Matt Millen: Every time he opens his mouth, all I hear is 0-16.

• Howie Long: What’s with those horrible Chevy commercials? Long seems like he’s auditioning to be the new Wilford Brimley.

• Lindsay Soto: Ok, I love her. She’s cute and bright and not intimidated by the athletes.

• Warren Sapp: Much funnier in person than he is on camera. That needs to change.

• Dan Fouts: Great to see Fouts on the field as part of the Chargers All-Time Team. When he’s calling a Chargers game, however, it’s as if he never played in San Diego. Yo, Dan, you can be a bit of a homer.

• Josh Elliott: Could end up as a network news anchor. He’s that good.

• Hannah Storm: Still kinda hot!

• Trent Dilfer: Personable and insightful. Seems a little uncomfortable in front of the camera.

• Rachel Nichols: What a trooper. ESPN sends her to a different city every 30 minutes and she always does a terrific job.

• Adam Shefter: Great reporter and is getting much more comfortable handling stuff “off prompter. “ He’ll be doing this for the next 30 years.

• Merrill Hoge: Tells it like it is. If he can loosen up a bit, he’ll be one of the best.

• John Clayton: The one guy working that makes me think I could go in front of the camera.

-- MIKE FLEISS

2. PB Bolt

PB Bolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +138
    "• Matt Millen: Every time he opens his mouth, all I hear is 0-16"

I have trouble taking him seriously too.

• Like Like x 1
  3. LV Bolt Fan

LV Bolt Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432
    Ted Leitner. :tup:

4. Chargers-Superhero

Chargers-Superhero Just win the Damn SB !!!

Ratings:
    +117
    Fouts is the best hands down.

Joe Buck is lifeless in the booth, he sucks.
    Collinsworth talks WAY too much, he sucks.
    Dierdorf is a tool as well.
    Gruden is too anxious to compliment everyone.

I like Ron Jaworski, and Dan Fouts. Everyone else sucks balls.

For tv studio people, I like Chris Berman, Hannah Storm (still hot), and SportsNation's Michelle Beadle.

5. IFiredCHart

IFiredCHart Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +96
    Johnny, AWESOME article, I will give my personal take on each.

• John Gruden: A lot of people wonder why his loyal followers call him the "next John Madden". Don't laugh, I have heard this from both my water-cooler co-workers and sportscasters, alike, and although I disagree, I can see why people like him. He is not witty, nor exceptionally-intelligent, but he obviously loves the game and shows a genuine interest in every play. He may be a cheerleader, but he is one of the best people to fill that role that money can buy--he doesn't try to be a person he isn't, and uses his strengths to their fullest.

• Chris Collinsworth: His voice wears a little on me, but I do agree that his comments are always well-conceived...but filling Madden's shoes is difficult. Madden had some of that interest that I was taking about with Gruden, and I do not quite get that vibe from Chris. But I still like him. :tup:

• Mike Ditka: Always picks winners, great personality in front of a camera, and has the type of Bob Knight feel that is ironically endearing.

• Keyshawn Johnson: I have always liked Key, and it appears that he is finally operating as if he isn't "bound" by the need to appear a certain way on camera. A keeper, without a doubt, and a true player representative in the booth.

• Tom Jackson: Meh, he lost me ever since he claimed that the Pats "hated their coach" after releasing Milloy. I do not think he is representative of player sentiment, and he is a former donk to boot.

• Chris Berman: I think he overdoes it sometimes, but his ability to play on words and draw analogies is genius.

• Suzy Kolber: It was the interview with The Hoodie after a recent primetime gaffe by the Patriots that convinced me that she still has it.

• Matt Millen: I take anything he says about plays on the field seriously. When he crosses over into player potential, development, or franchises, I block him out. But he is still quite candid for a miserable failure of a GM.

• Howie Long: Chevy-bee-tus? :lol:

• Warren Sapp: Take a page from the book of Keyshawn--be who you are as a person, not what everyone expects you to be.

• Dan Fouts: Hey, at least he isn't Aikman and buries his former team whenever they take the field on his call. :icon_tease:

• Josh Elliott: Definitely polished, but I always thought football wasn't his line of work.

• Hannah Storm: "Still kinda hot!" :tup:

• Trent Dilfer: I actually do not always agree with him, but he voices his opinion without restraint and not before being able to back up his stance. I agree that he sometimes appears uncomfortable, but his is a relative newcomer to the game, and remember, many consider him to be "the QB who didn't cost his team the Super Bowl".

• Rachel Nichols: My favorite female fotball anchor, by far, and it is not even close.

• Adam Shefter: Always gives very current, relevant information, and has been really promoting himself over TV and radio, which is excellent for football fans.

6. Johnny Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,703
    1 Hank Bauer because I'm a homer... :lol: and so is he...

2 Chris Berman

3 Dan Fouts
    :abq2:

7. sdbound

sdbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +942
    What? No Theesman?

Fouts, hands down. Bauer is pretty good, Lewin doesn't know what day it is.

8. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    Fouts
    Jaworski
    Michaels

9. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,807
    Aikman and Fouts are my two former player/current commentators - both are objective and logical, know what it means to be a winner and leader on the football field and do a good job of teaching the audience.

Berman is fun, and I love that he loves our Bolts but... he's a total ******* off camera and that makes me sad :(

Dilfer and Hodge as analysts are pretty good. I love that Dilfer isn't afraid to call people out. He was never a "golden boy" and never given credit for being a super bowl winning QB so he doesnt pull punches and gives love to the below-radar players. Hodge is a no-nonsense guy, no slobbering over glamour teams, very good at breaking down a play/player.

Rich Eisen and Michelle Beadle are a little silly, know their **** (ok so sometimes I wanna punch Eisen for being dumb - but only once in awhile) and both are excellent at handling other analysts/guests with big personalities. I'd honestly take Beadle over any other anchor at NFLN, male or female.

Cris Collinsworth, Phil Simms, Dan Dierdorf, Theisman can all KMA - Collinsworth has gotten better about being a bias knob slobbering douche since he stepped into Madden's role but he still has his moments. Dierdorf is hands down the worst commentator ever. I'd rather listen to Matt Millen give a seminar on building a championship franchise :p

10. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    I figured Chris Berman would be everybody's favorite because he's ALWAYS praising the Chargers. I liked him for that reason when I was living in Baltimore.

Though he is good. I love his quotes...
    "HE COULD GO ALL THE WAY!!!
    "NATRON MEANS BUSINESS!!!"
    "YOU'RE IN GOOD HANDS WITH ALSTOTT!!!"
    "CURTIS MY FAVORITE MARTIN!!!"

11. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    Permanent Favorites
    1. Ted Leitner
    2. Chris Berman

Current Favorites
    1. Dan Fouts
    2. Chris Collinsworth
    3. Ron Jaworski

12. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    I don't like Collinsworth cause he was bashing the Chargers during the 94 season. I remember him saying "they should have made a special exception and made the Super Bowl 49ers vs. Cowboys"... we'll didn't the 49ers waste the Cowboys two weeks earlier?

13. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Fouts
    Collinsworth
    a few others...

14. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    Give me Leitner, Fouts and Jerry Coleman.

15. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    I like Sharpe cause he's one of the few that doesn't have his tongue up Indy's a$$.

16. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    Forgot about Dilfer. Good call Syd. He is money on the Herd Monday mornings when he breaks down the weekend's games.

17. Chargers-Superhero

Ratings:
    +117
    Actually he first started calling Natrone "Natrone Re-Fried Means", but announced on the show one day that Natrone didn't like the nickname on the highlights, so Berman changed it. I remember that show like it was yesterday. :yes:

18. PB Bolt

PB Bolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +138
    Cosell. "Down goes Frazier!! Down goes Frazier!! Down goes Frazier!!"

19. coachmarkos

coachmarkos BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +47
    I'm going to split them up into play by play guys, and color guys...because it's really a much different job.

Play by Play:
    1. Al Michaels - I used to really be bothered by him, but not anymore.
    2. Joe Buck - yeah, he's a little dead, but I tend to find that refreshing...some of the announcers talk just to talk.
    3. Gus Johnson - the opposite of Buck...if you're going to talk show some enthusiasm!

Color Guys:
    1. Gruden. I didn't think I'd be saying this before he started...but he's really good. It's only his first year.
    2. Fouts - like others have said, he's been very balanced, and makes some good points.
    3. Millen - I never really thought he was that good before, but since he's come back, I've enjoyed him alot more than many others.
    4. Collinsworth. He's pretty solid. Makes good comments. Does have a grating voice, and is maybe too opinionated.

Losers/Haters who need to find a new line of work:
    Dan Dierdorf - is evidently still bitter about getting kicked off of MNF. He's one of those guys who plays favorites in the booth, for no discernable reason.
    Steve Tasker - same thing. He really dislikes some teams.

20. Alpenbolt

Alpenbolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +156
    Fouts, Jaws, and when he works Vermeil.

That opening Monday night game against Oakland about three years back when we shut them out had Jaws and Vermeil as analysts and was the most damn informative and credible call I have ever heard. And they had a good time too.

I love the Chargers radio team. Both Hank and the other dude are top notch. Two great radio voices.

• Like Like x 1
  21. Johnny Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,703
  22. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    My all time fav's were Cosell, Gifford and Meredith. now that was football broadcasting at it's best.

I don't really pay the booth that much attention during games these day's. Usually I'm to busy watching and typing it seems and I hear little of the broadcast.

Oh, I almost forgot, I also liked Merlin Olsen and I think it was Rosie Greer (SP) Heck i can't remember now. :icon_shrug:

23. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    I really like the mute button on my TV. :yes:

24. Chargers-Superhero

Ratings:
    +117
    Jenny Dell from ESPN, she has the looks to be a Charger Girl.

Attached Files:

25. sdbound

sdbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +942
    If you get a chance pick up Monday Night Mayhem. It's a very good read about that era.

26. sickswonnyne

sickswonnyne Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +79
    All this is TRUTH.

Especially the radio guys. When I watch NFL.com videos, the ones that use the two teams' radio guys for the highlights, I start to realize just how good they are. Some teams have to put up with some REALLY horrible guys, like NYG and Pittsburgh, I think. Our guys just sound so good, and are exciting as hell.

27. turbo_turtle

turbo_turtle In Disguise

Ratings:
    +890
    For me right now if the Bolts are on TV, I mute the TV and turn on the Radio and listen to Hank Bauer and Josh Lewin to go along with Mike Costas and Jim Laslavic when the Game is on. I do not like all that much the Television broadcasters because they are in my opinion East Coast Bias except for Rick Berman and few others.

28. Enormo

Enormo BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +210
    That Oakland game was the best called game I've ever heard. Nothing even comes close.

Vermeil's analysis wasn't dumbed down. It didn't resort to the same old cliches you here week in out. It illuminated parts of the game that I never knew existed. It was smart, insightful, clever, funny, personable and unobtrusive.

29. Aggieman

Aggieman I bleed blue and gold

Ratings:
    +194
    1. Bauer, duh!

For television:
    2. Fouts is always money when calling any game.
    3. Jaworski is a great commentary guy in every game. He's brought some complicated analysis to MNF and tries really hard, sometimes failing, to make sure the viewer completely understands all of it.
    4. I like Mike Ditka cause he's really simplistic but not obvious like Madden. He just seems like a casual watcher that understands in the end, all the little tricks don't make football so exciting. It's the big picture and he's good at emphasizing that.