1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Why all the Marty Bashing?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by powayslugger, Nov 13, 2007.

1. powayslugger

powayslugger Feckless Slappy

Ratings:
    +276
    I know I'm opening a can of worms or pandora's box. I was jusat as PO'd about losing that playoff game but firing Marty after every decent Head Caoch was gone? Not a smart move.

Hiring Norv.... a real gamble. He's never proven he can be or coach a winner.

Hiring Ted Cottrell.... was Marty's bro really this bad????

Marty is laughing his way to the bank every week.

Don't kid yourselves... we might still be 5-4 under Marty but we wouldn't be looking like such an incompetent team. No way a Marty team comes out playing so flat- like these Chargers of the past two weeks. Heck our O has only scored 2 TDs in the last 10 quarters... that's less than 2 points a quarter.

Oh crap.... We're stuck with Mr. Roper for awhile... there is no way AJ will admit he made a mistake... but we are pissing away one of the better Charger teams of my lifetime--- all because of AJs ego and Norv's incompetence.

It almost makes me cry watching such a talented football team getting run into the turf... not by the opposition... but by Norv Turner and Ted Cottrell.

2. Prito James

Prito James BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +13
    :icon_rofl:

3. OverVolt

OverVolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +18

Don't kid yourself...if Marty were here there's no way this team is 5-4.
    We would have beaten KC, and the Vikings, MAYBE even the Pack, then we would have smoked the Colts.
    This team would be 8-2 right now, because this offense would have a totally different attitude.
    The people in here who don't respect Marty are either bandwagon fan's who don't know what this team was like before he got here...or they're morons to think this team is somehow better off now, and are trying to rewrite history.

4. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    Sometimes when I'm alone at night, I ask myself:

WHY HASN'T THIS TOPIC BEEN DISCUSSED BEFORE!!!!!????? :icon_huh:

:nana_dance::puke:

• Like Like x 1
  5. sdbound

sdbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +942

Which one am I?

6. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    No one has disputed Marty's ability to win games. The problem is once he got to the playoffs, the Peter Principle began to operate. Nobody around here was thrilled about Norval, but the consensus was to give him a chance. So far he's blowin' it. Hind sight and the lobic of a 14-2 regular season put the bloom back on Marty's rose for some, but leading the Indy for 499 miles still doesn't put you in the winner's circle. Norval has the rest of the season to prove himself. At the moment, me and the rest of you natives are getting a tad restless.

7. Shamrock

Shamrock Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,243
    Marty can blow me.

8. Shamrock

Shamrock Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,243
    B4Life will be here, scraping his Marty knee pads, at any moment now ......

9. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    QFT

10. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +684
    Is this his multi? :icon_shrug:

11. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,412
    Why all the Marty praise?

While I wanted to keep him on board he still had his faults.

People carry the mindset like as though it's either him or Norv and since Norv sucks that means we would only succeed with Marty.

12. boltsnow

boltsnow BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +56
    It's a classic case of everyone thinks the grass is always greener on the other side. Then when you get there.......well......you know!:no:

13. Boltdiehard

Boltdiehard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,171
    I appreciate what Marty did for the Chargers because no matter how much people may hate the guy this team sucked when he got here and he played a large part in making us respectable again. That said there's no way I can sit through another playoff heartbreaker with him as the HC. The guy completely locks up in the postseason.

14. Electric Chair

Electric Chair Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +579
    You have done nothing but whine and complain all week. I am sick of your childish tantrums.

How old are you?

15. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    I think Leo answers the original question best. There is so much Marty bashing because there continues to be Marty support, in spite of the fact that he was NOT a viable option for this season.

As much as I still like Marty and appreciate all the wins he brought our organization, I do realized that he orchestrated his own exit and there is just no way he was going to be our head coach this year.

I try to avoid the Marty discussions because there's this stigma that somehow Marty supporters don't "understand" that he forced his own termination and couldn't win in the playoffs. I understand completely... but he's still an excellent football coach and I believe we would have at least another W this year with Marty instead of Norv. But none of that matters... it's all irrelevant. Marty's not coming back and he was never going to come back, no sense living in the past.

Marty was just a polarizing figure and people either loved or hated him. Now the lovers are coming out of the wood work to try to say "I told you so" and the haters fire back with "you don't get it." It's all very amusing.

16. boltsnow

boltsnow BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +56
    For me, I was definitely a fence stradler last year. Prior to last year I was calling for his head. Only because it definitely seemed like he just couldn't get it done. After last year I believed that he could take this team to a championship. Years past it was him play calling and decisions that seemed to do him in. Last year, and I know many will disagree and that is your right, it was boneheaded plays by the players that did him in.
    What worries me is that it took him 3 or so years to get this team deciplined "enough" to become a top tier team. I didn't believe that changing head coach with this team would make as big a difference as it has and I was dead wrong on that call. What worries me is that in all sports, players react and prepare and play differently for different coaches. We had everyone on the same page with Marty. We may never get that again with any new coach (present one included) again with this core of players.
    May I only hope that I am wrong once again!:icon_shrug:

17. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,412
    Don't get me wrong, I was one of Marty's biggest supporters and I think the "he chokes in the playoffs" thing is a bit overblown. (Not as much as I used to after seeing what he did against New England last year, however.)

That being said, you're absolutely right that he orchestrated his own exit.

I think Norv sucks as much as the next guy, especially after reading his decision to not start Cromartie after Jammer returns, but you don't have to put Marty on a pedistal or pretend he's the only guy this team can win with in order to point out the truth about Norv.

18. sdbound

sdbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +942
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  19. PhillyChargerFan

PhillyChargerFan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +288

:icon_rofl::icon_rofl::icon_rofl:

I have to see if I have any rep to give out today....

20. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    It took Chower 15 years to win his ring but his club stood behind him. I'm not saying Marty could deliver the Lombardi to our Bolts but the coaching Merry Go Round we're going to be on, isn't going to be as much fun as the Marty years were.:bolt: