1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Why are SD sports fans better than Boston sports fans?

Discussion in 'Smack Talk' started by BeerGuy, Sep 2, 2008.

1. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    Baseball is ****ing boring.

2. Aggieman

Aggieman I bleed blue and gold

Ratings:
    +194
    Yes it is...almost as boring as the entire city of Boston.

3. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    Karl Strauss would kick Sam Adams' ***. :lol:

4. pure-sol

pure-sol Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +208
    So I don't get it. You're saying that Boston fans are better because your teams sucked longer than anyone else's? I don't think anyone has said that our fans are better than Boston's fans, because there's no way to actually judge who's a better fan.

Now, if you want to go by people in general, then yes, we are better. If you have to ask why, then I just can't explain it to you.

Here's the best I can dumb it down for you: people strive to move to San Diego. People strive to leave Massachusetts.

5. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,358
    Then I'll have to educate that person as well. Since you know everything, why ask a question when you're not going to accept ANY answer given? That's a sign of insecurity. It's amazing how you want to be "liked".

You spend about $600 per game? Or does someone ELSE play that money? During a season that's over $6,000. I guess I'd spend that much too if I lived in a city where there's nothing else better to do than get drunk. And if you're not spending that money, I'm sure someone else gladly spends it just so they don't have to be around you.

6. BeerGuy

BeerGuy BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +79
    Most people can't afford to live here, no matter how much they "strive." The cost of living drives them away.

Don't feel the need to dumb anything down for me, I'm keeping up just fine. Your arguments have no teeth, no substance, no facts, just a bunch of that tired old, "it's a SoCal thing, you wouldn't understand....."

My house is 10 minutes from the beach, 15 minutes from downtown Boston, 50 minutes from Cape Cod and the Islands,2.5 hours from the mountains and 2 hours from the lake house in NH. I rarely go to a bar outside of work. I have more than enough hobbies to keep myself busy. Do I like sports, of course, but it's hard not to here in Boston because we have tradition and history.

7. BeerGuy

BeerGuy BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +79
    Yes, our corporate club level seats cost $24K per year. We spend about $4000 per game on seats when you add up our 16 season tickets. We take customers to games each week.

I'm lucky in that I've never had to pay for a seat to a sporting event in my life, from the NBA finals to the World Series and the Superbowl. I've been to the UEFA Championship in Glasgow, Scotland and Laguna Seca in NorCal for the US GP. They flew me to the Masters to watch Tiger. The fringe benefits are what make my job worth all the headaches. My kids have never been to a Red Sox game and not sat on the Red Sox dugout. I do my best to make sure they appreciate every bit of it, though, and never take it for granted.

8. pure-sol

Ratings:
    +208
    Of losing according to your earlier comment. :icon_shrug:

I can do the same thing as you, watch:

I live 10 minutes away from the beach, 10 minutes from downtown San Diego, an hour and some change from LA, and not far from some mountains that I'd be excited about if I liked to ski and snowboard.

The difference is though is that I live 10 minutes away from so many beaches I can't count them, and I can go to them and enjoy it for most of the year. I can go to the Gaslamp all year and not feel like I'm freezing to death in the middle of the winter. Sorry, I don't have another house, the Navy doesn't pay me enough to enjoy that. So I guess you win there? :icon_shrug:

Here's where you made my argument of us being better fans than Bostonites:

We have history here as well, and it's an unfortunate thing that we have YET to win a national championship. Yet, in the face of the millions of other exciting things to do all year round and the above fact, we are STILL diehard fans. THAT is what makes us better fans than you and your ilk.

9. BeerGuy

BeerGuy BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +79
    In all seriousness, all BS aside, thank you for your service to our country. I take that very seriously and truly do appreciate it. You deserve to make enough money to enjoy another house.

10. pure-sol

Ratings:
    +208
    Thanks, that's cool of you.

11. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,358
    Watching the UEFA Championship...that must have been a cool trip. :icon_toast:

12. TheBeast

TheBeast BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +127
    UEFA? Thats really cool, your lucky. I'm going to try to go to the worldcup in 2010. Looking for my boys from Italy to take again!!! :tup:

13. BeerGuy

BeerGuy BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +79
    It was the coolest & scariest sporting event I've ever gone to. Amstel was the major sponsor so we got the VIP treatment. Getting inside the stadium was just crazy, though.

Think about streets so full of people that you couldn't get your hands up above your waist without wrestling the people next to you. Now imagine that all these people are walking toward a narrowing bottleneck that leads to the stadium. Then add all the police on horseback that are banging through the crowd and herding you like livestock.

When you get to the stadium you enter through a revolving door make of horizontal metal bars. You go in one at a time and, once totally sealed off from both the outside and inside, the temporarily lock the door to get a good look at you. If you're a known hooligan the door doesn't release and let you into the stadium. EVERYONE goes through those locking doors. They are also "one way" doors until everyone is in. You can not leave once you're in.

It was crazy.

I got to see that insane British streaker running around like a fool during that game also.

There was quite a bit of sampling the local ales during the 6 days I was there.

14. TheBeast

TheBeast BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +127
    Sounds like jail:lol:

15. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +905
    Because by and large, we're not *****. Trust me, I'm not trying to make this into a pissing match, I'll just give you my perspective.

I never had any problem at all with Boston fans until they started winning. Before that I met enough Patriots fans to maybe fill a phone booth. I saw a few more guys with Red Sox gear, but still not a bunch. After the World Series and the Super Bowls, they are all over the place.

It seems like every guy with a Boston hat wants to be a dick and rub your face in the fact that your team hasn't won.

The best way I can explain it to you is to reference Yankees fans. For years you guys hated those fans because they strutted around with a superior attitude, and reveled in throwing your team's failures in your face. Your fans have become those guys, and that's why people hate you.

Last year I had the terrible experience of watching crybaby ECry Manning hoist the Lombardi. That was terrible, but it spared us a 19-0 Patriots team. As insufferable as Pats fans were already, it would have been infinitely worse had they pulled that off.

If one day one of our teams finally wins a championship, I hope that my fellow Chargers fans will remember all the lean years, and remember what it felt like to listen to all the jackass fans of winning teams. And then I hope they'll not turn into those very same fans.

16. BeerGuy

BeerGuy BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +79
    The first voice of reason, thank you. I get the Yankee analogy, but, they're much more successful than the Sox have been, just not since 99. Remember, there were 80+ year old Red Sox fans that were born, lived a full life and died without seeing a Red Sox World Series win. That's some significant losing, if you ask me.

You guys had to be somewhat happy for us when the Sox won in 2004?

Hopefully you can appreciate that we've won most of our championships in football and baseball with, primarily, a group of over achievers. Aside from Brady we don't have that many household names on the Pats(okay, now we have Moss). Look at the Sox, Dustin Pedroia is 160lbs soaking wet and fully clothed, yet he's been put in the clean-up spot and he's stroking home runs. That's ridiculous! The Sox won in 2004 with a group of self proclaimed "idiots."

How about the first SB against the Rams? We refused to come out individually in the pre-game introductions. We came out as a team. That was kinda cool, don't you think?

Really, we're not all bad.

I'm aware that there are a**hole fans in Boston. I want to knee cap them while they scream drunken obsenities in front of my kids. I've quietly told more than my fair share to shut the **** up because my kids are 8 and 4.

17. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    Damn you BeerGuy for seeming fair and reasonable! :icon_evil:

I want so badly to hate you, but alas I can not. :icon_toast:

18. Savage Lizard

Ratings:
    +905
    Good to hear that some of you are OK.

Look, we all have our as*hole fans, it just seems like a whole bunch of yours came out of the wood works the past 7-8 years.

19. BeerGuy

BeerGuy BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +79

Agreed, no argument from me.

20. Savage Lizard

Ratings:
    +905
    The thing that gets me is that you would think that Boston fans would know better. After all the years of dealing with Yankees fans, and all the years of Pats futility, you'd think they would get what it's like to be the fan of a team that hadn't won it all, and would behave a little better.

21. BeerGuy

BeerGuy BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +79
    I'd say 90% of the particular species of idiots that you are talking about are "front running" jerks. I'm sure there are some diehards that have alcohol/personality disorders, but, primarily, WE are speaking about those car tipping, window breaking half wits that come out after every championship win.

That's not exclusive to Boston, the country's just gotten to see our idiots more regularly for the last 7 years.

22. BeerGuy

BeerGuy BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +79
    On a side note, most of my little red dots have just disappeared. That's kind of refreshing, really. I still fall under the "vile" category but it's like I've bottomed out and realized that I have a problem............:flag:

You probably won't believe this, but on all the other forums that I post on I've got very, very good ratings. Also, I do not belong to any Patriots/Red Sox/Bruins/Celtics forums either. I came here a few years ago just to see what the chatter was, posted something, got lambasted and decided it was sorta fun.

• Like Like x 2
  23. TheBeast

TheBeast BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +127
    Are you really a boston fan? You some like your not a d**k/f**kface/douchebag. :icon_huh:

24. BeerGuy

BeerGuy BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +79
    I promise.....here's last years jack-o-lantern....

[​IMG]

...and me, before a softball game at Fenway.:yes:

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  25. TheBeast

TheBeast BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +127
    :eyepoke:

...You should switch teams while you can....quick no ones looking:lol:

26. BeerGuy

BeerGuy BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +79
    I always root for the AFC team in the Superbowl.......unless it's the Colts...so i'll jump on the SD bandwagon if you make it.:abq2:

27. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    I will say "Boston is a cool city." East Coast has a lot of great places.
    I love New York, Philadelphia, Baltimore, Jersey Shore, South Carolina, and there's all kinds of great places in Florida!!! :yes:

BUT... I DON'T love either of those places more than San Diego!!
    I don't love the East Coast more than the West Coast either.

With all that said... I can't stand Boston, New York, or Philadelphia sports fans because they're mentality is just as bad as Raiders fans!!!

28. BeerGuy

BeerGuy BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +79
    Honestly, Philly fans are the worst as far as I'm concerned.

New York fans have been knocked down a few pegs in the last 5 years so they're less likely got get in your face and act ignorant. They've transitioned from insufferable to merely smug.

I don't have much interaction with Raiders fans, but those costumes make them look like "mall ninjas."

29. rexy2006

rexy2006 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,842
    Strong debate skills he has. Anything we throw at him, an answer for, he says. Kick-*** Sox pumpkin, he makes. :tup:

Just better, San Diego fans are. :yes:

I know another Red Sox fan, also cool, he is. That makes 2. Yes, hmmm.:icon_tease:

30. Aggieman

Aggieman I bleed blue and gold

Ratings:
    +194
    Yes, the force is strong with this one.