1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Why are we shocked?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Boltbaby, Sep 5, 2006.

1. Boltbaby

Boltbaby BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +17
    Why are we shocked?

By P.S. Hamilton

Since Sunday, I’ve spent many hours reading literally thousands of posts from fans about the shooting of Steve Foley by an off-duty police officer. It is a tragedy in every sense of the word for everyone involved.

An overwhelming number of posts are supportive – no one likes to see someone suffering – but there are also a few people that feel Foley is just a bad guy that had it coming.

Any way you look at it, it’s our fault.

Continue reading "Why are we shocked?" »

2. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    Good job.

Societal values and norms with respect to the NFL players seems to be a dichotomy of sorts.

What is good for the goose is not good for the gander....hmmmm....perfectly vicious circle. :bolt:

3. Electric Chair

Electric Chair Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +579
    I took a $75 cab ride home from the Del Mar Track on Friday Night because I was buzzed. And I WASN'T 3X the legal limit. And I DON'T make millions.

Seems this whole thing could have easily been avoided with some maturity/common sense.

I feel bad for us as fans that we don't get to see the jailbreaks that included him on third and long. I hate that POS cop for living out his Rambo Fantasy. But I don't feel bad for Steve Foley the person. I wonder what people that hold Foley blamemess in this would be saying if he had killed someone on his way home... "Stupid innocent civillian shouldn't have been on the road at 3am!"

Some people are never going to "get it", and I am certain they are the same people still out there drinking and driving, and putting all of us at risk.

4. Shamrock

Shamrock Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,243
    Foley should be blamed for driving DUI. Under normal conditions, he should be charged for that. Being shot (for dubious reasons) might change whether or not the DA chooses to prosecute for that.

The cop MUST be charged with at least aggravated assault with a deadly weapon.

PS. Just a rumor, but TWO sources have said that the rookie off duty cop did NOT show his badge at any time to Foley. IMO, Foley never believed it was a cop, and the cop didn't do enough to prove he was a cop.

5. WonderSlug

WonderSlug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +851
    Well, the lawyer for the officer tried claiming that the officer wasn't required to show his badge.

Uh..... yeah, ok....

• Like Like x 1
  6. Shamrock

Ratings:
    +1,243
    That statement by the lawyer is incredibly stupid. In an age of car jackings and cop impersonations, would any reasonable person take someone's word for being a cop when the only thing they do is state "I'm a cop" while brandishing a weapon? Especially in street clothes and while driving a personal vehicle?

That lawyer is an idiot.

7. WonderSlug

WonderSlug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +851
    Yup. It was certainly an eyebrow-raiser. The only reason I would think he would say that is the the officer may not have shown his badge at all.

8. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,727
    Foley shouldn't have been driving. Period. All other circumstances aside, ANYONE who gets behind the wheel while intoxicated deserves EVERY BAD THING that happens to them. Thank God he didn't hurt anyone with his retardedness.

Still think the officer was STOOPID for the way he reacted to the situation, and he's lucky no one else got hurt during his little hero escapade.

9. Shamrock

Ratings:
    +1,243
    One poster on Chargers.com reported just that. He said "the news" stated the cop never showed his badge. Another friend (with a "source") told me the same thing earlier today.

10. Boltdiehard

Boltdiehard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,171
    It's all water under the bridge at this point and I doubt either party learns a lesson here.

11. Rainman

Rainman BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +126
    This is like all the crap that used to happen with Lawrence Taylor... only Taylor managed to not get shot somehow.

Maybe he was just lucky enough to NOT have a rookie cop tail him.

I guess I'm just saying that this is nothing new. There always have been out-of-control athletes, and there always will be.

12. Shamrock

Ratings:
    +1,243
    I hate drunk drivers. I see them all the time.

But, I can not agree that because someone is drunk that he "deserves EVERY BAD THING that happens to them."

Everyone has anecdotal stories, but I'll add another one .... A couple years ago, on I-10 between Houston and San Antonio, a truck driver pulled off the interstate into a rest area. He didn't get his truck perfectly lined up into the marked stall and his trailer was just over 1 foot outside the lines. A drunk automobile driver fell asleep at the wheel and drove off the highway and hit the semi's trailer. The family sued the truck company and won a partial judgement against the truck company because the rig was not properly parked in the marked spot. I thought it was ridiculous, but it shows that although someone is drunk, another person's actions aren't discounted 100% because of one person being inebriated.

I totally respect law enforcement in damn near every case. Heck, I'm not an authority "hater", I'm an ex-Army officer. But this really rubs me the wrong way. I'd hate to think that a friend or family member could be treated like this by a police officer.

13. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,727
    I feel no sympathy for drunk drivers. They all deserve to be raped by a guy named THOR in prison.

A very good friend of mine was killed by a drunk driver when I was in high school a month before our graduation.

Maybe the "deserves" line was a bit much, but still, my wish is for all drunk drivers to burn in the seventh circle of hell.

14. Shamrock

Ratings:
    +1,243
    RTL -

I think that drunk drivers should be punished to the full extent of the law - and as harsh as possible, especially when they injure others.

I don't think they should be gunned down in the streets by off duty officers who don't produce proper identification.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654