1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Why Did AJ Draft Mathews?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Boltdiehard, Oct 25, 2010.

1. Boltdiehard

Boltdiehard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,171
    If we're not going to give him the ball? The Pats beat us on their first possession of the second half with that time-consuming drive (helped by yet another idiotic 15 yard penalty).

We came out throwing with practice squad WRs starting and Mathews has disappeared in every game this year.

This draft pick looks worse by the week for AJ who also thought we were good enough without MM and VJ.

2. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Dumb question... Next...

3. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    Ryan Mathews is a liability in picking up a blitz.

I am not sure how the hell someone can miss a defender running balls out toward the QB and just stand there and not put a paw on the bytch. The guy is thinking too much or he is a genuine puzzy. I suspect he is thinking too much.

4. Boltdiehard

Ratings:
    +1,171
    Coming from you that doesn't mean much. Suddenly this morning you're not homer anymore. :lol:

Wait until the Titans ***-rape us before it really sinks in Conc.

5. Chavez

Chavez Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +37
    I think the question should be reworded - Why did the Chargers draft a first round running back and give up a high second round pick to move up and get him?

Obviously, we needed a running back. But for what we we're asking for out of our running game, why not wait unitl round 3 or 4 and make better use out of those picks. We knew VJ wasn't going to be here long term, we knew our RT sucks, need help on DL and LB.

That said, I think Matthews is going to be a great player in this league, we just need to get to the point where we're not down by 17 points in the 2nd quarter.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Thats ok. I dont care much for your perspective either. A lot like Trumpetman, you make a lot of claims like you got a brass set, then crow when one comes true. Props to you on your 0.0006% accuracy rate brah....

7. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    I would have been MORE happy with running back by committee and get some linemen who can open holes.....then get a RB down the line.

8. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Thus why BDH's questions was just plain stupid.

9. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    Stop using my junk to make your point.

You can now kiss the feet of the prophet.

10. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    You can kiss my arse. Junk is what it is. haha

11. Boltdiehard

Ratings:
    +1,171
    I've read all your rah-rah articles and watched you go at it with anybody that had the balls to criticize Norv, AJ and the mess they have created. Now all of a sudden the Norv hate is piling up......and the reality of AJ is casting doubt as well. :lol:

They're outta bullets this morning and what's left is a huge fuggin mess.

12. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    No it wasn't.

I am not sure why we got rid of Michael Bennett. He looked to have gas left to do a RB by committee. We did not HAVE to draft a RB. We have/had horses to split the run load.

Maybe his question is stupid to your circle of intellect but to others who realize trenches win this thing it makes perfect sense.

13. Boltdiehard

Ratings:
    +1,171
    This wasn't meant to be personal to Conc or Mr Mathews BTW :lol:

Stay Classy San Diego

14. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    I dont care what you think of what I write. You like others claim one loss is the end of the world, and shut up with a win, everything is daisys and sunshine.

Yeah, I backed Norv, because up to this season, the mistakes were small, correctable and the greater part of the team played well. I have no problem backing he teams coach under those circumsatnces. This season, the team is ill prepared, making stupid mistakes, not protecting the ball and lacking general ball awareness. That to me points straight at Norv. That is something that is tangable, and measurable, not just the typcial butt hurt people like you spew. So if you disagree with my takes thats cool, as I said, I really dont care.

But you have done nothing, when you actually try and put a football thought out there is it ill prepared at best. So if you want me to take your butt hurt critique to hart, do soemthing that tells me I should pay attention to you...

15. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    It doesn't really matter because our head coach can only call a play that everyone and their Concudan know is coming.

16. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    It was stupid, that you dont see it is in no way a surprise. The draft is not a science. Mathews was ranked very high, the Chargers got good marks from the media and fans for the move.

Now with hindsight the 'brain trust' fans such as yourself and BDH are coming out of the woodwork and saying we should not have drafted him? Really? RB was the most glaring need the Chargers faced. They took a shot on who many teams had as the best RB in the draft. That is why AJ drafted him.

He isnt done, if you fans are closing the book on him now, you are kiding yourselves. He may indeed be a bust, but that wont be determined for 2-3 years.

17. Boltdiehard

Ratings:
    +1,171
    Take it easy Conc I said last week this was going to be more difficult for some than others.

Like you I got behind the Mathews pick and wanted to back this kid and I think he is going to be a stud.

18. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    I am not sure what he will be. He shows flashes, but like the whole team (sans Defense) this year he cant seem to put it all together. How ever the point I am making is why we drafted him is clear. Why he keeps being pulled is another thing entirely.

19. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    We are Braintrust fans coming out of the woodwork ?

I take exception to coming out of the woodwork. We are giants who stand out and are to be revered as god-like.

You can kiss BDH's feet as well.

20. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Yeah, you are a true legend in your own mind... :lol:

21. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    I can see the veins popping out in his dome ready to explode. Dude is going to stroke out if he continues at this pace. I suggest reciting 15 "Our Fathers and 10 Hail Mary's" and a prozac laced Martini.

22. Skuzzlebutt

Skuzzlebutt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +128
    I think it is a valid question. I think a FA RB would be doing just as much for this team as RM. Not only do I think it was the wrong place to focus our 1st round pick on, but we gave up TWO high picks to get him. It simply isn't good enough evaluation of this team and where we need to spend our resources.

23. Boltdiehard

Ratings:
    +1,171
    People need to be pissed and asking questions and this is a mess.

Sure would have been nice to have VJ out there yesterday.

24. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    If we were going to trade up, I would have gone for Suh who is eating people alive in Detriot. That dude is a monster. Holy crap if that guy were on our D-line...it is "ON".

25. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    To get attentions, hit the bastards in the wallet. Fans need to cancel their season tickets and stop attending the games. Stop buying the gear (except for the NFL Redzone - that chit rocks). Hurt the burrito king's gate and watered down beer take. This is YEAR 2 for me.

26. 65TossPowerTrap

65TossPowerTrap BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +37
    We have 4 running backs here...can't get them all enough carries. I believe Jackie Battle is going to be a breakout star somewhere else next year...as he never gets anything but garbage time runs with Charles, Jones, and now McCluster in front of him here.

27. SDKCFAN

SDKCFAN BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +6
    The "knock" on Matthews coming out of college was that he could NEVER play a full season of football due to injuries. Guess he's already proved that's true since he's been out with an injury since the second game! AJ Smith was an idiot for drafting him.

28. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    Did he have a bad rap for pass blocking ? I do not watch college ball.

29. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,418
    Why do people keep asking this question when the answer is obvious?

We drafted Mathews because our running game sucked last year and we needed a running back.

It's not AJ's job to utilize Mathews. AJ is the GM. He acquires the players and the head coach (Norval Eugene Turner) is the one responsible for how to use the players on gameday.

The correct question is "Why isn't Norval using the running back AJ gave him?"

30. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    The correct answer is, why are AJ and Norv not on the same page? Norv doesn't like running the ball, yet our GM blows his draft load to get a RB. AJ needs to work WITH his head coach to get players that will fit the coaches scheme.