1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Why did we get rid of 43?!?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by szarmes, Sep 8, 2011.

1. szarmes

szarmes I am the Walrus

Ratings:
    +37
    Guys, he's like so good, how could we let him go! That was honestly a horrible decision to not bring him back and pay him... He can return punts for touchdowns, he can make plays out of the backfield, and he is just amazing at blocking! Did you see what he did in the Saints game today? Absolutely beast! I think if he was the RB on the last play, instead of Ingram, the Saints would've tied it because 43 is just that good!! We totally ****** up by not bringing him back!

2. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    He was pretty bad last year. Half his value comes as a returner, and he flat out lost the job at one point.

Glade to see mighty mouse is back though, he never looked like that at any point last year.

3. NORV4LIFE

NORV4LIFE NO MORE NORV!!!!!

Ratings:
    +58
    I agree. Sproles is awesome but not for the money and he did have a pretty bad year last year. Other than a few long pass plays he really looked neutered so to speak. Sproles is good but for what he wanted from sd which was feature back money(he was making more than chris johnson this season). Even if he has a legendary year it probably wasn't worth the risk nor was he a necessary piece in this offense. Mathhews and Tolber are much more suited to the norv style of offense. Todman will be way better for the money than sproles.

4. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +505
    Sarcasm/tongue in cheek from OP methinks?. Sproles is not that good, I'm happy we've moved on. Todman is an adequate replacement and Walters/Cason/Gilchrist/Goodman bring much more to our return game.

5. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +341
    C'MON Man!!

6. tunaman

tunaman BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +7
    While he looked good/great last night, with the investment in Mathews and the emergence of Tolbert, Sproles was asking for too much money to keep. Love the guy...can be a game changer. If the Pack looked at last year's game film of Sproles they saw a different player than they saw last night. He was back to his Indy form, when he used to destroy them. Good to see him back to his previous form. Play-calling makes a difference as well.

7. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    When was the last time that he returned a kick for a TD before last night?

8. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,074
    its simple, he was paid 14 million dollars, where are you going to get that kind of money?

9. Sandolf

Sandolf Blue Moon Rising

Ratings:
    +411
    The loss of Kevin Burnett may prove more significant. But the team's salary capologist must make the call on whether you want to pay one guy and therefore let three or four others go. The fact of life is that you can't have your cake and eat it too.

It is important to note that the player has a say in the decision as well. Some like Dielman take less money... (like he was offered by the Seahags)... and stay here. Most don't. Even Brees was offered an incentive heavy deal, but decided to take the money and run.

Some posters here are quick to condemn our own team when there is always two sides to the story.

10. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Ahhhh the revisionist view of things. Gotta love it.

11. Sandolf

Sandolf Blue Moon Rising

Ratings:
    +411
    It takes a nice block to spring a kick returner for a TD... or a real bad one to have a good run back flagged and wiped out. Suffice it to say it is a team game and one game doesn't make a season.

• Like Like x 1
  12. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    One game in a new league and Sproles is 22 again?? Okay, I rectum he should be crowned MVP this morning.

13. szarmes

szarmes I am the Walrus

Ratings:
    +37
    did nobody pick up on the sarcasm?

14. bigmike.x.09

bigmike.x.09 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +280
    Apparently not lol

15. Sandolf

Sandolf Blue Moon Rising

Ratings:
    +411
    Yellow matter custard, green slop pie.

16. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,074
    I was trying to read when the power went off, I couldnt see anything

17. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +505
    I did (hands are up and waving!).

18. Sandolf

Sandolf Blue Moon Rising

Ratings:
    +411
    Sarcasm sometimes gets lost amongst blatant stupidity. What also confuses the issue is when a particular poster can wear both of those hats.

19. Joy Division

Joy Division Slightly-known Member

Ratings:
    +542
    If Sproles had been in the backfield on that last play
    I haven't forgotten the same situation presented itself not too long ago....and CRUNCH! went the Sprolesy. Ravens win, game over.

20. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Exactly

21. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Last night was only the 3rd punt return TD of his career. Don't expect another for another 2-3 years

22. RipTheJacker

RipTheJacker Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +152
    Funny how much harder he runs when hes not making 7mil a season to do nothing. Not only was it smart of us to get rid of him, but we should of done it 2 years ago and used that 13mil on someone that would actually try

23. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    I wouldn't say we should have let him go 2 years ago, but I think we should have let him test the market. If the market was hot for him, let him walk and use the money elsewhere. If the market wasn't as hot as they thought it would be, he comes back at a discount

24. MadMike

MadMike Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +504
    He looked good last night. (Of course I'm watching it now, so I should say he looked good this morning! Stupid power outage). But he was not worth the dough last year. Everyone talks about him catching 50 balls last year, but Rivers had no one familiar to throw at so he had to throw at Sproles. With the receivers back this year, we should be just fine.