1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Why didnt Norv go for it?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by bucnasty, Jan 20, 2008.

1. bucnasty

bucnasty BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +16
    4th and 10 from the NE 36, 9:21 left in the 4th, down 9.

Thats 4 down territory.

4th and 3 from NE 6, 8:40 left in the 3rd. After a stupid sweep to the left by MT.

Why not go for it?!

2. bucnasty

bucnasty BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +16
    We intercepted Brady 3 times in this game. 3 INT's should spell doom. Instead, they win by 9. WTF.

3. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    I agree. I was screaming at that decision. BTW, it wasn't 4th and 3. It was 4th and 10. I still think they should have gone for it though.

4. bucnasty

bucnasty BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +16
  5. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
  6. Stan_The_Man_12

Stan_The_Man_12 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +38
    I for one am not upset about Norv's playcalling or game management, he got dealt a bad hand in this game and he did the best he could. 08 must be a no doubt SB winning year, or I will begin to stalk AJ. No mistakes, 08 SB win.

Stan 17

7. Thunderstruck

Thunderstruck BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +272
    9:21 is a lot of time on the clock. You have the chance to pin them deep, which Scifres did, hold them to a 3-and-out, and force them to punt from deep in their own end-zone. Or, you take a big risk against a VERY good defense and go for it on 4th down.

To me there is no "right" call in that situation because no matter what call you make there's a huge possibility for failure.

It's like kicking field-goals instead of going for TD's. On that 4th-3, for example... you just proved that you can't get ONE yard on a third-and-one, why is a coach supposed to assume he can get 3 yards on 4th-and 3?

You have to understand who you're playing, and the Patriots defense is one that tends to come through in those situations.

I have no problems with the play-calling in this game. I think our QB was gimp and our best play-maker inside the 10 yard line was sitting on the bench. We called plays that have worked before and the Patriots stopped them.

8. BajaBolt

BajaBolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +14
    I disagreed with Marty's 4th and 13 call, but Norv had to go for it on 4th and 10 at that point in the game IMO.

My complaints with the coaching staff today:

1) Not playing Rayner. Nate's kickoffs killed us today.

2) Calling a play that went to Lo Neal near the goal line.

3) Not going for it on 4th and 10 losing by 9.

9. WeStrikeSunday

WeStrikeSunday BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +6
    He should of went for it, and he should of used Turner way more when we were in the redzone and on 4th down, but he didn't. Don't ponder to much on the game. We have a great team for next season and im excited..