1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Why didn't Turner play much?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by T10, Oct 15, 2006.

1. T10

T10 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +22
    Yes he played on special teams, but not much on offense. With the trading deadline coming up, do you guys think that we did that on purpose to save him from injury? I for one don't want to see him go anywhere.

2. WonderSlug

WonderSlug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +851
    One thing that Marty puts a lot of stock in is not making mistakes and keeping your hands on the ball.

After Turner dropped several kickoffs, Marty probably felt that he wasn't bringing his A game today and decided to keep him under wraps.

3. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Could be. Or it might be he felt Turner wasnt needed in this game.

4. megold0715

megold0715 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +70
    well i hope hes not going anywhere its crazy when turner and L.T are are on the field together .nobody knows what to do.

5. WonderSlug

Ratings:
    +851
    Yeah, I'm sure we'll be seeing a lot of TnT in KC next Sunday.

Turner to me is in the mold of Shaun Alexander and Larry Johnson. A big bruising north-south runner.

L.T. is our slasher, like Marshall Faulk and Reggie Bush.

6. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    I hope we manage to keep both.

7. WonderSlug

Ratings:
    +851
    Me too.

TnT would likely be the best one-two RB combo in the NFL for the next 5 years.

8. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    Me too!!:icon_shrug: :icon_huh:

9. cranberry

cranberry BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +195
    When you want to have two good RBs playing in one team, a good
    coach knows, who is starter and who is backup. The Chargers went through the air (Martyball is dead for a while) and LT didn't get his average yardage. so why using Turner in a game that's already won at halftime. We will need him when we have to split the opposite defense in a close game. Sure I like both of them:bolt: :bolt:

10. Alpenbolt

Alpenbolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +156
    No doubt in my mind he was being benched for the fumbles, as he should be. Protect the ball or sit. Two series starting inside the 10 on kickoffs is inexcusable.

Should find out for sure in some of the post game interviews I suspect, though Marty would never say it outright.

11. exodus

exodus Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +133
    I was not happy with botched returns. Turner is only going to get limited opportunities in a game and he has to make his impact then. He was being complacent and I hope Marty gives him time to recover.

but...

LT put the ball on the ground and I cried a little bit. LT has earned the respect to keep playing no matter what. Turner hasn't.

12. WonderSlug

Ratings:
    +851
    LT's 'fumble' was the result of a well placed hit that knocked the ball out.

Turner's botchs yesterday were all him. Nobody was even close to him when he did them.

So, as I said, Marty likely sensed Turner's head wasn't as into the game as it normally is and he didn't bring his A game, thus the very limited action yesterday. Why else would they still be running LT late in the 4th quarter with a 22+ point lead?

13. Thunderstruck

Thunderstruck BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +272
    I don't think Turner was being complacent. I think he just dropped the first one, and then on the second one it was kicked at an angle towards the sidelines and he wasn't entirely certain if he should catch it or not. That's where his lack of experience as a returner comes to play.

I don't think Turner was being punished. LT put the ball on the ground once too--it happens to the best of them...

14. ChargerRay

ChargerRay #FireMcCoy #FirePagano Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +867
    I'd rather see Cromartie return kicks. But I have a feeling that it won't happen.

15. PhilipRivers#1

PhilipRivers#1 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +464
    I agree with this. Back in the old days if rookies weren't starting, they earned their paychecks on special teams.

16. exodus

exodus Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +133
    It was a lucky hit, but it still bums me to see that LT lost the ball. It's not like he doesn't protect it, which is why I was sad to see that happen. I don't know about LT still running late in the game. Maybe he was just having a career day and wanted to keep pumping his stats or something. :icon_shrug:

Or maybe he was sending the message to Turner that those are his opportunitys to play and if he's not going to be focussed, then they can just keep handing the ball to LT.

17. Bergo23

Bergo23 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +22
    He was used as a decoy in the backfield on a few of those cathes my LT.................he has become good enough teams respect the run when he is in the game now. Rivers was so hot, Marty and Cam just kept it going with the hot hand.