1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Why does Cotrell still have a job?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by HollywoodLeo, Oct 5, 2008.

1. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,415
    This defense should not suck as much as they do with how talented they are.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Holy_Bolt

Holy_Bolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +362

I would agree under the euphoria of last year and the off-season expectations… but now I questions if we are really have that much talent. Our “D” line and line backers look average to me.

3. TheBeast

TheBeast BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +127
    Yes this is true. I've come to conclusion that castillo and igor are overrated........sorry but you guys know it's true

4. ChargerRay

ChargerRay #FireMcCoy #FirePagano Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +867
    He still has a job because he's AJ's boy. You know the GM thats never wrong.

5. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,415
    How are Igor and Castillo overrated?

It's been proven that they can perofrom, which leads me to believe the scheme is at fault.

6. Showmeyourbolt

Showmeyourbolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +192
    Because his defense nearly got us to a Superbowl last year.

7. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    Wayta pile on, Leo, you, ******* :mad:

8. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,415
    The defense last year was a mirage. They lived off the turnover, you can't do that.

9. Holy_Bolt

Ratings:
    +362
    We will need to live off the turnover this year too! We are in the same position as last year with more experience and more injuries.

10. LT-Express

LT-Express Bolttalk.com Janitor since 06' Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +434
    What you have to understand is without Merriman, the LB's are average. I say that because when Merriman blitzes he demands an Olineman and RB to block him off the edge which creates mismatches for Phillips, and Cooper This scheme is geared around getting pressure on the QB and if you dont you are typically going to fail.

Its going to be an interesting season to see if anyone can step it up a notch to take over again.

• Like Like x 1
  11. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,415
    how bad do things have to be before you say something bad about the team?

12. SD Native WY

SD Native WY Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +334
    Talent is determined by performance.!!!

13. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,415
    And this defense has performed.

14. SD Native WY

Ratings:
    +334
    They have......past tense....but not this year

15. turbo_turtle

turbo_turtle In Disguise

Ratings:
    +890
    Why does not the whole Coaching staff be fired?

The Coaches needed to adapt to the changes that were going to be because of the hobbled LT, Rivers, Merriman Hardwick, Gates and now Chambers. There are others as well.

It is definitely the Coaches fault in not making the adjustments needed in personnel.

We should not be a 2 and 3 team at this point but a 5-0 team. It is all the Coaches job to get the players to adjust and get it done week in and week out. It is not happening.

Fire them all.

16. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    Bullshit.

17. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    That'd make me a whiner like many here.

• Like Like x 1
  18. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,415
    the point was that they've proven they have the talent.

So where's the problem?

19. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,415
    you know me, Toby, I'm hardly the chicken little type.

There just comes a time when you have to realize what's wrong with the team.

20. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    Maybe we should fire some of the fans...

:icon_tease:

21. Showmeyourbolt

Showmeyourbolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +192
    They're a quarter horse, don't count them out just yet.

22. SD Native WY

Ratings:
    +334
    You are whining by responding!!!

23. SD Native WY

Ratings:
    +334
    This is a dicussion blog if you don't want to be a part of it then don't.

24. SD Native WY

Ratings:
    +334
    Good one !!!!!!!!!!!:icon_rofl::icon_rofl:

• Like Like x 1
  25. Holy_Bolt

Ratings:
    +362
    Well it is hard to argue with that rebutal.

26. Lancer 1

Lancer 1 Eternal Optimist

Ratings:
    +341
    Our main problem is that this team only plays 30 minutes of football each week (all in the 2nd half) and it’s a 60 minute ballgame…the only game in which we took a lead into the locker room at halftime was the Monday nighter against the Jets, and we won that one going away.

This team just isn’t prepared to play on a week to week basis from the start of the game, it’s like they spend the entire 1st half feeling their opponent out, but also digging a hole that is difficult to climb out of. That need to change, and Ted must find ways to pressure opposing QBs and allow our 3 corners who were all drafted in the 1st round to play more man coverage, vice playing off the WRs like they often do even in the red zone. :icon_evil:

27. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    I'm 100% Charger fan. I back them regardless of who they play or how they play. I feel that all Charger personnel are part of that team. Because of that, I'm going to vent when a chance to win it all is being pissed away.

As a fan who believes we have the team to win a championship, I am amazed at how some here can seemingly overlook the fact that Ted Cottrell is a bad joke as a DC. I'm not being unsupportive of the TEAM, but I AM being unsupportive of this cog in the machine. He sucks, plain & simple. There is no way that Chad Pennington would have beaten us had we applied pressure on him. No ****ing way. Yet Ted not only didn't pressure but at times had IGOR in coverage. WTF??? When Pennington split out wide in the "Wild Whatever" offense, someone should have been over there to flat out knock the snot out of him. At that point, he's a WR, not the QB.

I love the Chargers, but someone needs to get off this Cottrell train, light a fire under Norv's ***, & tell the players no more celebrating until we start winning games. Quit acting like superstars, hitch up your jocks, & go knock the stuffing out of anything that moves in a different colored jersey.

Oh, and AJ - quit watching the Buffalo nostalgia tapes, stop looking in the mirror, & get this coaching circus serious about game prep BEFORE halftime, mmmkay?

And anyone here who thinks I'm whining or being unsupportive can KMA. ANYONE. I'm pissed about the way this team is approaching games & I won't be quiet about it. :icon_evil:

28. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    Very good post, except our players didn't have the intensity they need to win. Our game plan was fine but the Oline failed to show up, no pass protection and very little run blocking. Philip was under heavy pressure all day and as soon as Chambers went down nothing else worked.

The D didn't make the flight out to MIA or is that they were MIA?
    The fish had like 60 offensive plays to our 47 or something like that. Our D isn't as tough as we all thought they were, no heart.

I watched a little of that Stiller game last night and just flat out bring it to you, they have that rep and they live up to it. Our D plays down to it's opponent. You can't coach intensity, it come from with at want to be the best, our team just thinks they are.

• Like Like x 1
  29. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036

HOF post right here!

Can you somehow get this message to AJ??

:icon_evil::icon_evil::icon_evil:

30. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +502
    V nice post Buck. Like you I am a Charger fan 100%. Like you I supported this team through the really **** times. Like you I am angry that we might be pissing our best chance ever up against the wall.

Loved the point about 'knocking the snot out of Chad'. Since Hart cannot cover nobody but can make a hit, he shoulda been the guy out there jamming Chad. Instead (I must look at the tape) but we probably had Jam or Cro on Pennington. What sort of D is that?.

All that being said I felt worse after the KC game last year, the Pats loss in the playoffs in 06, the Jets loss in the playoffs in 05 (was it?) and the Miami loss in the regular season back in ? (when Brees was starting).

It's amazing but my expectations are getting demolished week by week.

I dunno if the coaching is 100% at fault, it probably isn't, but there is no doubt that not everyone on this team is leaving everything on the field. I'm kinda giving Coop a mulligan but what's with kissing ur bicep while the opponent rams the ball down ur throat running out the last 5 mins on the clock?. And Wilhelm, jeeez don't get me started. He starts taking a big swipe with his right leg after he makes a tackle, then gets run over in the Miami backfield by Ronnie Brown next play. Gimme a break, u suck so bad. Anyone see the interview with Coop on Chargers.com?, Coop throws #57 under the bus and he is standing right next to him drying his hair.

Let me finish on this point, who thinks we need to bench Goff?. I'm tired of seeing him on his knees after missing a block else getting run past by an opponent's DB or out own RB. He is done imho. I also wonder if Hardwick has come back a little soon. In a game like yesterdays when physically we were getting our asses handed to us, a player like Newberry might have got some guys fighting.

Out for now.