1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Why does Rivera skate past the b!tching?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by LittleTrain, Sep 24, 2007.

1. LittleTrain

LittleTrain BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +86
    If the defense sucks and Rivera is such a freakin genius its about time he becomes a team player and helps Cottrell up off his ***.

He hasn't brought anything aggressive to the LBers. Hell the LBers were better last year. Somehow he made Merriman and Phillips disappear. THAT takes talent. He should be fired just for starting CARLOS POLK. Now Polk is suddenly an ILB when we had better quality ILBers in camp and his main reason for staying was he was an OLBer? Right.

Rivera has never done a thing without Lovie Smith holding his hand just like Cottrell can't cross the street without Wade Phillips holding his hand.

I can't believe some people are pimping this guy for DC or even HC. He's shown NOTHING outside of what Lovie Smith did for him in Chicago & he was so disliked there they didn't resign him because Lovie (the REAL defensive leader in Chicago) didn't want his *** back.

It's time to drop the honeymoon with this guy. He deserves to be blasted as much as any SD coach not named Norv or Ted.

2. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,976
    What about the defensive line coach?

The Secondary coach?

Linebackers coach?

Do they get your ire? Or is it just his known name that catches your attention?

3. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,072
    His Job is the Linebackers Coach. He is not the Defensive Coordinator. There is a Chain of Command in place. Why would the Linebackers coach call out the Defensive Coordinator?

4. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    I don't think there's much they can do about the defense till wilhelm gets back. Dobbins is having a terrible time with pass coverage. WAters is still hurt. I can think of ways to make the defense better but they'll never listen to me.

Okay. heres a hint to cottrell. Shift merriman and phillips all along the line of scrimmage. Don't use them as drop back coverge people. Only use them as pass rushers and run stuffers. But the main thing is move them all around so opposing o-lines can't set up to get a jump at stoppign or double teaming them. And use weddle alot more with a nickle package since dobbins is having such a hard time in pass coverage.

5. Electric Chair

Electric Chair Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +579
    Is Rivera making the play calls? NO.

6. Boltjolt

Boltjolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402
    Rivera is listed as the ILB coach. Pagano is listed as the OLB coach. And Rivera isnt calling the defensive plays.

7. LittleTrain

LittleTrain BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +86
    He's in the meetings. He could be making suggestions if he's so brilliant. He's just sitting on his hands watching this conservative defense??

ILB coach...probably the 2nd weakest part of the team outside of the safeties. The guy started CARLOS POLK.

8. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,976
    Just curious, entirely your business... but, is there any aspect of the team you are happy with?

9. LittleTrain

LittleTrain BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +86
    Jammer played well Sunday, so did Flo and Cro to a lesser extent. Rivers looks like he might be settling down. I like most of the talent on the offense if Norv can pull his head out.

Not happy with the safeties, the ILBers, the coaching staff, the overall lost look our team has had, how it looks like overall they have regressed vs improving like you would expect from a team this young.

Clear enough?

10. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,976
    Clear, thanks.

I was just wondering...

11. Shamrock

Shamrock Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,243
    I think Cooper should have been at WILB from Game one if Wilhelm is hurt. It took until game three for Rivera/Cottrell to figure that out.

Dobbins has been lost. Polk at SILB was a good move for this week. We need Wilhelm healthy.

12. LittleTrain

LittleTrain BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +86
    I'm amazed people think he only coaches two starting positions and doesn't have input on other areas...yet every time we try to strip the ball now he's credited for "teaching" the Chargers how to do that. Hell our HS kids know how to do that. He's coaching the entire team that, but doesn't touch or say a thing about anything else?

13. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    That's what they did last year and it drove offensive linemen nuts. They need to bring pressure with the front seven and let the DB's tend to business. There is no secondary in the league that can control receivers consistently for the five to seven seconds we're allowing opponent's QB's to dally with the ball in their hands. The Chargers are being run like Mark Clark ran the Anzio beach head.