1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Why firing Marty was the best thing ever:

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by mandude, Feb 13, 2007.

1. mandude

mandude BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +59
    From Espn:

"The final conflict came down to whether or not to let assistants interview. Sources indicate Smith denied permission for tight ends coach Rob Chudzinski to interview for the Cleveland Browns offensive coordinator job, but Schottenheimer felt it was a good opportunity and wanted to allow it. Schottenheimer also let linebackers coach Greg Manusky interview and accept the 49ers defensive coordinator job. Against Smith's wishes, Schottenheimer let assistant strength and conditioning coach Matt Schiotz go with Cameron to Miami."

He let them gut our entire staff. Unbelievable. We could've promoted them from within, kept stability... f*cking idiot.

2. LaDeezie21

LaDeezie21 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +82
    I'm sure Marty did that knowing he was going to be gone next year anyways and he didn't see the point in keeping those coordinators knowing the type of opportunities they had now might not be there for them next year.

3. TJBOLT

TJBOLT Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +19
    He wanted to hire his brother Kurt as DC
    come on you did a good job but see ya later Marty

4. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    :icon_huh:
    If that's true, then I'm glad we fired him.

What I said immediately after the season was that I wanted Marty back, but not if it meant losing Cam. I wanted Cam as the head coach. Now, no Cam, no Wade and who knows.

I can't imagine that AJ and Deano would not have made this move without someone waiting in the wings. I think by rule they have to interview a few minority candidates before making a hire, but my bet is they already have their guy.

Both guys were in Honolulu at the Pro Bowl. Perhaps it is s one of the guys coaching at the Pro Bowl that's going to replace Marty.

5. LaDeezie21

LaDeezie21 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +82
    The only positive I see right now is that at least coaches will want to coach a loaded team. We shouldn't have a problem convincing a good coach to come coach. The question is whether there is one out there to hire.

Mooch is too laid back and watching him on the NFL network has given me the impression that he's kind of....dorky for a lack of a better term.

Cowher wont want to coach here anymore and I don't see Parcells getting along with AJ at all. Who else is left? If they choose Chow it would worry me a bit since it would be his first head coaching position. I heard that Mike Martz is being considered but he's not known as the best in head coaching skills. Has a great offensive mind though and we'd have to get a very good DC since I don't think Martz even knows the meaning of the word defense.

6. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,976
    You guys dont get it do you? Marty actually made hiring new Coaches easier. Do you suppose those young stud coaches everyone is fawning over would come to a team where they are denied opportunites for advancement with another team?

Man I could seriously see us getting in to a Radieresque position of not being able tofill the coaching spot if all the dirty laundry we toss around here got out, assuming it is not out.

7. LaDeezie21

LaDeezie21 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +82
    That wont happen dude. You kidding me? Who wouldn't want to coach a superbowl ready team? get real! we'll get someone the only problem is that the good coaches this year are taken and there are some other good coaches that will be available after next year. What does that do for us this coming season? Will we hire a temporary coach? That is more like Cowboyesque than anything.

8. TJBOLT

TJBOLT Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +19
    We are like the Lakers when Phil Jackson came and took them to the title

The important thing here is that we are loaded with talent and chemistry!!!!!!

9. reddenedbeard

reddenedbeard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +112
    A lot of that "chemistry" came from the existing coaching staff. It will be interesting to see if the new HC can maintain that same chemistry.

10. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    The part I don't like about this is the timing!!

11. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    i don't like the timing either all i can hope for is the best

12. mandude

mandude BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +59
    "I can't imagine that AJ and Deano would not have made this move without someone waiting in the wings. I think by rule they have to interview a few minority candidates before making a hire, but my bet is they already have their guy."

How do you know the person they have in mind isn't a minority candidate?

13. Thread_Killer

Thread_Killer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +680
    Yes, the timing sucks. But I much prefer this situation to being stuck with a lame duck coach next season.

I'd push for a young coordinator looking for his first head coaching gig, like a Ron Rivera. :tup:

14. mandude

mandude BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +59

Couldn't agree more. Let's get someone young, smart, hungry and full of energy. Someone who can still work till 4am.

15. Electric Chair

Electric Chair Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +579
    LOL... Yes, guys would avoid coaching a team with 15 Pro Bowlers/Alternates. They are going to stay away in droves! Genius! :lol:

• Like Like x 1
  16. Boltdiehard

Boltdiehard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,171
    For those that don't like the timing ask yourselves would you want any of the new coaches that have been hired in the NFL this offseason? Cam? Wade? Cam maybe but no thanks to Wade and IMO this worked out pretty well (no Marty and no Wade). There are plenty of good candidates out there and I think they already have somebody in mind.

• Like Like x 1
  17. sdchrger

sdchrger Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +820

We are now the SoCal version of the Faiders? :icon_rofl: :icon_rofl: :icon_rofl:

18. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,976
    I guess you disagree then. You would go into a situation where the GM constantly interferes in coaching desicions, dosent communicate with you, runs other coaches out of town, tries to block coaches from getting promotions? Trades players without even informing you? That is a uncomfortable environment to say the least.

I would think twice. but if you wouldnt, fine. Short sighted but fine.

Dont get me wrong, AJ has assembled a great team. But I have a small concern that his ego is going to start having detrimental effects on the team. Especially if there are a lot more articles like John Clayton posted today....

19. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    the bigger deal is that the majority of them have JOBS already
    if we wanted to get 'quality' guys then damnit we shoulda done this earlier

20. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    At one point, I want Cam to take over as I'm sure a lot of other people in here did too but I changed my mind.

I'm just thinking that we might have had more options to work with had we made this decision earlier.

21. Electric Chair

Ratings:
    +579
    We didn't.

The fact is that teams can't block someone from interviewing for a HC job. The sticky part is going to come when we have to fill the staff. But make no mistake, whoever they want to interview for HC will be allowed to accept the interview, and should it be offered, the job.

22. Electric Chair

Ratings:
    +579
    Hire Rex, keep the current staff in place, and let him have this year to decide who stays and who goes. Any major changes to the staff can take place next year. This way we immediately have our DC in place, and the O continues on the course it was on with Shelmon.

Ron Rivera or Rex Ryan would make me very happy.

Basically I want the next HC to have the initials R.R. No fuggin retreads!!!!

23. Buttmunch

Buttmunch Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +108
  24. Boltdiehard

Boltdiehard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,171

At least Banks gets it: 5-13 and two playoff losses in San Diego from a 12-4 team and a 14-2 team.

25. Jamesboltz21

Jamesboltz21 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +6
    I think that they need to change the authority of AJ Smith so that the head coach has the chance to decide who he wants to be part of the staff, because Im pretty sure that the coach knows who he wants to coach his team based on there skill than on there stats.

26. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    Keep thinking that. We'd have the all Schotty staff. GMs often have input on the coaching staff, just as HCs have input on personnel.

27. sdchrger

sdchrger Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +820
    The problem with this situation is that Marty was never AJ's coach. The unspoken rule is that a GM should have the opportunity to win with their own guy or in Matt Millen's case three chances. It was set up to happen that way heading into the 2004. After the 2003 disaster Marty was on his last legs heading into the 2004 season with a roster most deemed as the worst in the NFL. I think that's why Wade was forced upon Marty, in a sense getting the replacement in place. Things went aschew when we had our Cinderella season and this dysfunctional situation was locked in. Marty never viewed AJ as his boss and AJ never viewed Marty as his guy. There was absolutley no partnership between the two.

Now AJ gets the chance to name his guy. AJ should and will play a part in staffing decisions and our new HC will have input on player decisions. Each will own their area of responsibility but will seek input from each other.

It will be exciting to see how functional FO and coaching staff will partner together.

28. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    It's all in AJ's lap now and he better **** or get off the pot. Like EC, I don't want any retread use up old guy, No Tuna and not only no Hair but hell NO. Chow may end up being a good prospect, the Ryan's or evel Dick Lebeau.

On a side note does Marty's playbook and schemes go with him????:bolt2: :icon_shrug: :icon_huh:

29. cranberry

cranberry BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +195
    I hope you are really really right.

30. cranberry

cranberry BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +195
    :tup: :tup: