1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Why has Rivers regressed so badly?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Thumper, Nov 5, 2007.

1. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    This was by far Rivers worst performance as a pro. He looked like a third string scrub that had his cage rattled.

Last year he was a pro bowl QB. Last year he started the season strong. Last year he threw 22 touchdowns and only 9 interceptions. This season he already has 8 interceptions. Last season he lost 2 fumbles all season. This season he has already lost 4 fumbles.

Is it the change in coaches? His play was already declining towards the end of last season. Maybe the new coaching staff has something to do with it, but I don't think that's all that going on with Rivers.

I see Rivers getting flustered way to easily. A call doesn't go his way and you'll see the cameras going to Rivers arguing with official. Every time I see this I cringe because I know Rivers is going to be eratic until he calms down.

I've read some comments on this forum that we need to let Rivers throw the ball 50 yards and let our receiver go up and get the ball like Brady to Moss. Well, unfortunately, at this moment, Rivers is no Brady. But, I did see him throw the ball long several times in this game.

Why can't we look at what he did at the start of last season when he was most successful? Short 5, 10, or even 15 yard high percentage passes mixed with some LT runs. Mix it up though, so the defense can't just key on LT. Quick slants, quick outs, screen passes, etc.

Speaking of screen passes, Rivers and LT need to get on the same page. I remember at least twice, or was it three time, that they attempted a screen pass to LT but Rivers threw the ball on the ground or behind LT. I don't care if it takes drilling Rivers, the O-Line, & LT on how to run a screen pass until the can execute it in their sleep.

Maybe it's just the sophomore slump for Rivers, but I don't know about that either. I know that Rivers wasn't the only one that played badly, but I'd like to hear what you all think about Rivers. Maybe the Whitehurst era should begin? He couldn't be much worse than Rivers is playing right now.

2. Fouts

Fouts I heart Deano!

Ratings:
    +348
    Agreed... he doesnt look like he has enough time in the pocket... and he is built to be a pocket passer, big and slow!

Did you guys watch Romo last night, when the pocket collapsed, he was able to move around, and check down a shovel pass to his RB, for nice pickups... Philip will never be able to do this, although, I wish he was better at checkdowns... he panics when he is flustered...

3. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    The biggest reason I see is here because of leisure.

Every year he starts getting everybody worked up about his bling bling draft picks and does not give two **** about the trenches where the war is won or lost.

The day leisure starts supporting the fat boys society is the day we turn the corner and until then, fucit. :icon_eek:

4. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    Its not all on Rivers.

Although the one pass I remember to Chambers was ALL on him.

Terrible throw

But its the schemes they are running. My 2 year old grandson can tell what the next play is going to be

5. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    OH SHIIT!!!!

NOT THE BUBBLE!!!!

:icon_rofl::icon_rofl::icon_rofl:

6. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +683
    The Def Schemes are about the same. Looks like vanilla pre-season most of the time.

7. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    I really can't put my finger on why Rivers has played so badly this year. You can say that it's because he's not handling the blitz well, but even when he has plenty of time to throw he seems to be missing receivers.

Rivers looks to have lost some confidence and he's playing very tense. His accuracy was atrocious yesterday. He had many opportunities to complete 30+ yard passes yesterday, and he missed on every single one of them, except for the one that was called back.

You can talk about all the other problems with this team, but if Rivers plays well yesterday, that game would have been a laugher by half time.

VJ was open more times than I can count yesterday, and you can tell he was getting very frustrated.

8. RipTheJacker

RipTheJacker Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +152
    Exactly
    Team have figured out that if you just blitz him, he will fail everytime. He has no idea how to pick up a blitz and makes a mistake. They also know that if they get to him a couple times and things start going downhill, he will lose his cool and flip out and start making even more mistakes

lets not forget that they know he cant beat them deep when they blitz him because with his weak arm, he has the worst deep accuracy in the NFL

9. PowderLove

PowderLove Former Mod, Current Slacker

Ratings:
    +494
    Just give him the red pill already.

10. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    The reason is that this offense has no real rhythm to the passing game. There should be plenty of 4, 6, and 8 yard routes, underneath stuff, crossing patterns, etc. If the O-line is having trouble blocking, then put him in the shotgun with a no huddle. Run those short routes and just chip away at the yardage. Instead of leaving Rivers in 3 and long, there has got to be a way to develop passing plays to pick up at least 4 to 6 yards a pop.

Right now it seems like everything PR throws is either a swing route to LT or a deep ball to Chambers or VJ.

I thought Norv was gonna dazzle us all when he got Naanee involved so early. But he went right back to a boring, predictable gameplan.

11. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,554
    We have to show that we can consistently complete the deep ball so that teams will give our receiver some cushion. Then, once defenses back off, we can start hitting the short stuff. Right now, defenses are showing our deep passing game no respect.

12. P88F

P88F BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +99
    screw Whitehurst we need to put Volek in!

13. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    Agreed! The O-Line has been terrible, but it doesn't explain everything. Rivers has looked lost out there at times this season. He does get rattled way to easily.

I really do think Rivers will settle down at some point. I just hope it's this season.

14. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    I think that was absolutely true before Chambers. But now I know he can get open underneath. The pass he caught on the sideline yesterday... he caught it at what... 1 yard... and turned it into a 12 yarder? He's got plenty of speed and quickness to separate enough for Rivers to get him the ball on a short route. Also, there's no reason why Gates can't be counted on underneath to produce small 4 and 6 yard hooks. Crossing patterns take time to develop, but putting Rivers in the shotgun and going no huddle keeps that D on their toes. This approach should have been employed from the outset yesterday. Rivers is going to look downright awful against Indy if things don't change this week.

15. oca

oca BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +11
    I think a lot has to do with his foot work. It looks like he's not setting his feet properly and really throwing the ball. A lot is on the pressure he's getting but I think he needs to improve on feeling where the pressure is coming from and either taking a step up in the pocket or to the side so he can set his feet. The o-line hasn't helped much but until he can prove that he can beat you with his arm look for more of the same.

16. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    He reminds me in a way of Jake Peavy - so much fire and competitive energy that sometimes, for his own good, he's got to go cool it. Again he's also not getting any help from the coaching staff (which i'd seriously question how/what they are teaching Rivers) either practice wise or game plan.

I agree that its obvious that teams now know what to do against Rivers - isn't it at least the coaches job to help prepare his QB as to what he'll face AND how to make adjustments?

• Like Like x 1
  17. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    Constant blitz pressure is killing him. 8 and 9 man fronts. No protection. ****** recievers dropping passes. Playcalling. Ect. Ect.

Our whole team is so goddamn inconsistent. Look like world beaters on one drive, the next they look like a bunch of Miami 3rd stringers.

18. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    I agree that blitz pressure is getting to him. The O-Line isn't protecting anything. Receivers are dropping some of his passes.

But, how much do you put this on Rivers? Or do you think it's just these outside factors and Rivers is fine?

19. LaDeezie21

LaDeezie21 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +82
    That is why I laugh when I hear people saying that VJ doesn't get open enough or that he doesn't catch with his hands. The problem isn't him. It's Rivers. Rivers went to him 3 times yesterday in a row and couldn't connect. Granted one was a great play by the defensive back but the other two could be pinned on Rivers.

I saw him miss a ton of throws yesterday. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt going into next year but after the season starts next year he'll be on a short leash.

I'm hoping he snaps out of it and busts a Brees but we'll see.

20. exodus

exodus Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +133
    He just needs some ritalin.

21. PhilipRivers#1

PhilipRivers#1 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +464
    Rivers went through a softmore slump at NC State too !

Don't worry Thumper, he'll be fine. :yes:

22. Boltdiehard

Boltdiehard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,171

Or some panocha. Maybe the wifey isn't giving it up? :icon_shrug:

23. Shamrock

Shamrock Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,243
    He's already got about 10 kids. His wife is giving it up.

24. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,554
    Yeah, at the rate she's popping them out, I'm starting to wonder if Philip is the only one she's givnig it up to. :icon_rofl:

Back to the topic of Philip the player, I thnk people are making too many excuses for him. I know he had pressure Sunday, but he missed a ton of open receivers. When the Vikes blitz 7 and we have 6 blocking, it's up to Philip to hit the hot read, instead of backpedaling 20 yards and throwing it off his back foot.

25. Shamrock

Shamrock Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,243
    Bingo.

Hit the Tampa-2 in the seams, and take advantage of the over persuit with screens, draws and counters.

Y'all know that hybrid 50 Power counter SD ran some last year? Where it appears to be a straight 50 Power (Goff pulls left), but LT counter steps left, then heads for the right side of the OL off Olivea's outside shoulder. That's a good play to run against a team like Minny.

It looked like we were calling plays against a base set cover-3 team. Long passes on the edges, with little in the soft middle zones.

26. RipTheJacker

RipTheJacker Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +152
    UMMM, WHAT DID YOU SAY??????? :2guns: