1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Why is Eric Weddle getting no blame for this loss?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Boltergeist, Jan 18, 2010.

1. Boltergeist

Boltergeist BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +111
    There is a lot of blame to go around...but the one name I'm not hearing much of is Eric Weddle....He could easily be the goat of this game if not for Kaeding's craptastic performance. He completely had the angle on Shonn Greene. It was his play to make and he squared up and absolutely got steam rolled and run over for the one play that changed this game completely to the Jets advantage. Inexcusible for him to not wrap up. It was a 5 yard carry if he does his job.

I know Eric gets a lot of love and he's made some good plays for us....but I just think that we can do better. He might be better suited for Gregory's role where he had the big play in the 2007 playoffs picking off Manning. I would love for them to give CJ Spillman a shot at more playing time next year...even if he takes Weddle's job. Spillman was the 3rd or 4th fastest safety in last year's combine and we've seen that the dude hits like a ton of bricks. I'm just saying open up the competition and let the best man win the job.

2. Aggieman

Aggieman I bleed blue and gold

Ratings:
    +194
    I would say that Eric Weddle,for one, had overall a good game with some tackles we could argue actually would have saved the game. Also, he was very outmatched by Greene and many wouldn't EXPECT him to make that tackle though we would EXPECT Kaeding to make two field goals at distances he's quite familiar with.

3. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    Because he didn't miss 3 field goals.

4. Boltergeist

Boltergeist BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +111

He makes that play...We hold the Jets to a FG or less...and we win 14-13 and the missed FGs are a moot point.

5. IFiredCHart

IFiredCHart Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +96
    Weddle had one terrible play that occurred after 2 deflating interceptions and 2 deflated missed field goals.

He also was solid for the entire rest of the game, had one drive-ending sack, and made good, fundamental tackles for the rest of the game.

I will give him a pass.

6. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    You are gasping now. There could be a lot of what ifs. Fact is he blew a play. Nate blew 3.

7. Boltergeist

Boltergeist BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +111

I'm not quite that forgiving....A CB like Cromartie I understand....I EXPECT a safety to make that tackle. If he can't make that play, we need to get someone in there who can.

8. Boltergeist

Boltergeist BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +111
    I'm not absolving Nate from blame...He is the easy target....and one of the 3 was a 57 yard prayer...The other two he should have made.

Doesn't mean that we should overlook that Weddle failed to make a crucial tackle that someone who is considered an above average safety should make. Maybe you don't knock the guy off his feet, but you damn sure wrap him up when you're the last line of defense.

9. Showmeyourbolt

Showmeyourbolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +192
    Cause every fan has a number of players on the team that they consider to be their favorite. Weddle is a favorite of many, and as such, he won't be criticized much.

10. reef shark

reef shark BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +49
    hed be a favorite of mine but i have been biased by the was he was gotten in the draft. way too expensive for a position that doesnt suit him. if the staff knows whats good theyll put him at nickel and cut their losses. oliver has more potential to be a FS imo

11. scratchnz

scratchnz BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +90
    Eric Weddle should be expected to make that tackle every time!

There is no doubting that that one missed opportunity may have led directly to the chargers loss...more so than Kaeding.

If he makes that play...the Chargers get perfect field position to initiate a drive to possibly kill off the Jets hopes

12. boltsnow

boltsnow BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +56
    Holy crap! Some of you have lost your mind. Is this a game of how many players we can name responsible for our loss? Think about what you are saying, the safety was responsible. What about the 8 guys the RB went through before he was down to our last line of defense? Then to say we hld them to a FG if we stop him. Says who? I love those that play the game out in their head and actually believe things would have happened the way you imagine it.

13. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    Because

Besides that tackle he made no real mistakes
    His mistake was taking on a bigger more physical opponent high, something you should not do
    Because Cromartie deserves as much if not more so blame for that play for failing to come in and make a tackle prior to Greene meeting Weddle and for that BS shoulder block he threw when Greene made it in the endzone

Of all the goats, Weddle ranks very low on the list, around the same area as Gates does

14. reef shark

reef shark BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +49
    the other 8 guys have an OL to deal, not to mention arguably the best in the league. thats why they call him a FREE safety. capish

15. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    I would first blame Kaeding for missed FGs, Phillips and VJ for unsportsmanlike conduct penalties before I blame Weddle. Heck, you could blame Rivers for 2 INTs too if you want to go that route....

16. 14fouts

14fouts BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +11
    The reason Cro took a shot at Greene in the endzone is because he was mimicking LTs td dance and I'm sure that pissed Cro off. Did anybody not see that?

17. Brundlefly

Brundlefly Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +370
    Cromartie could have at least slowed him down on that play but instead of going for Greene he just sort of let him run by then started chasing him.

BTW **** Greene for mocking LT like that, what a POS. And Cro threw his shoulder into him before he did that BTW

18. Brundlefly

Ratings:
    +370
    PS: After checking that TD run out again, I think Cro needs to go. He's a punk and he can't tackle anyone. Looking at that really pisses me off cuz he could've AT LEAST slowed him down a little bit but he did NOTHING.

19. IFiredCHart

Ratings:
    +96
    I did, and I was even more surprised that Cro was not flagged for that, given that Jackson was flagged for the red towel footwork.

20. reef shark

reef shark BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +49
    people realize this. people realize that a cover cb isnt going to have a good chance at tackling a rb. unless youre a freak like jammer. how many rbs did deion tackle? but hes the best ever, besides maybe rod, no question. bc their guys not getting the ball in the first place. hes probably risking an injury trying to tackle greene like that.. but a safety is a different question, and the point of this thread

21. Brundlefly

Ratings:
    +370
    I get what you're saying, but a competent corner who is not a retard would TRY TO TACKLE HIM INSTEAD OF JUST LETTING HIM RUN BY! He didn't even need to make the tackle, just slow him down and let someone else clean up. He did nothing. Look at the replay and watch that idiot just stand there. He comes running in once Greene gets the ball and when he has A CHANCE to make the tackle, doesn't even try.

22. reef shark

reef shark BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +49
    dude the replay is burned into my memory forever unfortunately. i am not sayin cro is the best tackling cb ever but you are taking a risk when trying to tackle a rb like that. slowing him down is a different question and one that i wont dispute with you bc ur definitely right. however cro can still prove to be a great cb, and the point of this thread is how the current FS cannot

23. Brundlefly

Ratings:
    +370
    First off, I agree that Weddle cannot be a great Cb(the way you worded that) it's not his position :lol:

But I know what you were saying and I disagree. I've seen him make some really good tackles(Moreno the second time we played the Broncos). In a way though, Cromartie not even trying on that play kind of epitomized the game yesterday. We just didn't want it bad enough and it cost us. We didn't get the job done.

24. reef shark

reef shark BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +49
    like i said i can put together a highlight reel of erics whiffs but it would not sit well with ne1 here. the question is how much of him you have watched during his career (which is probly all) and how much you can disagree that weddle cant tackle. the guy isnt a natural FS and you know it. plus cro can sTILL BE GREAT. THAT is the point. one brain fart (like rivers on the lob to revis) is explanatory... sometimes you get tired on the field and dont feel like tackling a 230 lb guy runnin 20 mph when its NOT UR Resonsibility

25. ynnoj

ynnoj BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2
    You say that as if Cro even TRIED to tackle him, wrap him up, or even just slow him down so Weddle could come in and clean him up. The fact is he stood by and watched him power through the lane, and as a result #32 got steamrolled.

Sure, Weddle was at fault for a poorly executed tackle but there are other guys in that secondary who need to go back to basics/question their commitment.

26. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    The first and most important job of every defender is to tackle the ball carrier.

27. IFiredCHart

Ratings:
    +96
    QFT, which is why I want to give Cason a chance--he looks like a young Jammer who is willing to learn what it takes to be an "experienced Jammer"

28. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    If we had another hitter at CB our run defense would be improved. Wed's will lay the lumber down, Cro wont. Wed's was run over but at least he didn't shrink from his job, blaming him for doing so is ignorant at the least. He gave his body up to make the play and had no help from the dandy lion AKA Cro.

29. reef shark

reef shark BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +49
    you are on the right track but generally speaking a cb's first job is definitely not to tackle. thats why i brought up deion. if it was they would look like linebackers. do you know how many more miles cro ran than eric that game? or every game? ne1 know why i would even ask this? it is the nature of things. no excuses for cro but generally speaking i dont agree w/ ur quote at all

30. reef shark

reef shark BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +49
    i dont think anyone blamed weddle for "shrinking" from his job. speaking for myself i have just pointed out that hes not a good FS. excuse me for sticking up for cro big time but that is bc overall his +/- is better than weddles imo