1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

why is Maualuga falling?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by MasterOfPuppets, Apr 17, 2009.

1. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +636
    I've seen him as high as 12th a couple of weeks ago, no he's at 26th on SI's mock draft

I say that IF no OT is available and the Chargers can't trade down, get him, with him and Merriman in the LB corp this defense has the nastiness it was lacking

• Like Like x 1
  2. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    He's falling because people see bust potential in him and question about his ability currently to truly 'dominate'

3. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    I took him in our BoltTalk mock but only because all the O Line and Cushing were already taken

4. !~BOLT~!

!~BOLT~! Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +205
    I'm not going to pretend the crystal ball at my weird aunts house works and call him out as a bust. I think many realize he lacks the star power potential this watered down lb class suggests. Personally (like many of you have said many times) it really doesn't matter to me who we bring in, I'm through expecting superstardom from the kids we draft, if he's an upgrade over our current roster spot holder I'm all for it.

5. Eat My Boltage

Eat My Boltage Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +43
    DITTO!!! :bolt:

6. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    I think the opposite, I think he has the potential to be absolutely dominating and I think he can be something wildly special. I'd be very happy with us picking him up, I think he could be another Junior Seau. But it's one person's opinion

7. SanDiegoRon

SanDiegoRon BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +321
    why did people have him rated high in the first place... :icon_shrug:

8. Boltjolt

Boltjolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402
    He is falling because he is over rated and after looking at his tapes, they can see that. I said it long ago that he is over rated and he is the 3rd best of the three LB's for USC.

I dont want him.

9. sdbound

sdbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +942
    From what I have read, it's his play call recognition, if you watch his feet he is the last one to react after the snap.

10. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    Yep. If he's not blitzing... he's just another good linebacker.

I will say some of his hits are impressive, but nowhere near the type of impact that Merriman brings. Hence the nickname...

...and Rey is still searching for an identity. He just strikes me as a guy who's gonna eat his way out of the league.

11. Rainman

Rainman BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +126
    Not to mention that he's made some poor decisions off the field.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Rainman

Rainman BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +126
    'Cause he played on USC's defense.

13. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
  14. AnteaterCharger

Ratings:
    +2,931
    His decision making skills have improved vastly from when he first stepped on the field at USC but frankly alot of his earlier mistakes are being blown up like it just happened. He matured - we all do in college (or we are all supposed to :lol:)

15. TBF

TBF BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +148
    We will pick him up late in the first after we trade down and gain a second rounder to boot.

16. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    The best analogy I've heard is, Rey is like fishing with dynomite. His philosophy is "see ball, get ball and blow up anything in my way."
    He is a Junior Seau clone, and the problem with that is players need to be more versatile these days, and Maualuga often completely ignores the passing game.

17. Brundlefly

Brundlefly Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +370
    I just decided to check out some of his highlights on youtube and that guy is a beast. I think him and Merrimann would make a kickass tandem. I don't know much about him though to be fair.

Argh I want it to be football season again! I've been playing Madden a lot lately just cuz I miss football so much :(

18. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    People who don't like Rey = USC haters

Rey is gonna dominate.

19. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Clay is the best overall LBer in the USC crop. Good tackler, good instincts, smart, & the most fluid by far.

Rey is no more a 3-down LBer than Burnett. We can pick up another thumper to push Siler & Dobbins in later rounds. If the player is going to be a situational one, why pick them in the 1st round? :icon_shrug:

All of the USC 'backers coming out this year benefited from being part of a talented group, but none more so than Rey.

20. !~BOLT~!

!~BOLT~! Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +205
    I don't like SC being a fellow pac ten alum but I'll take any worthy product they have available at the pro level.

21. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,074
    All this is just smoke and mirrors.

Untill the draft is actually under way, how does anyone know if someones stock is rising or falling?

Just because some schmuck on the east coast says something, does not mean its law!

The only true way to know this answer is to be a head coach or GM, and I dont see too many of those guys out there talking about who they are or are not going to take. And if they do say something right now, its a just a bluff!

Anyone want to play poker with these guys?

22. LV Bolt Fan

LV Bolt Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432
    I'm a USC fan and I don't want Rey. :yes:

23. timepiece33

timepiece33 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +25
    Personally, I believe that Rey is easily the best of the USC LB's.

Brian Cushing is a great athlete with 3rd round productivity. I won't bet against Matthews, but he is a lot like Bobby Carpenter.

Rey was never a top 10 pick. IMO, he falls between 10 and 20. He will be a very good ILB in this league.

There have been some stupid mock drafts. Just because PFW says Aaron Curry will fall to #11 doesn't mean I have to take those drafts seriously.

• Like Like x 1
  24. Showmeyourbolt

Showmeyourbolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +192

It's more like:

People who like Rey = USC homers

• Like Like x 2
  25. timepiece33

timepiece33 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +25
    I like Rey.

I hope USC gets the death penalty for the indiscretions with Bush and Mayo.

26. Boltjolt

Ratings:
    +402
    I dont like Rey for our first rounder. If he is there if we get a 2nd, then fine but i dont think he will be an impact player as a rookie. I think he will struggle.

27. Alpenbolt

Alpenbolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +156
    Agree. Whoever gets Clay will be very happy. It will be interesting to see where he goes and at what pick.

28. PhinsRock

PhinsRock BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys, I need some help

I'm trying to get the most accurate mock draft possible here, and I want to know your thoughts on whether Maualuga is a Charger. A couple of people said that if no OT is available and if Cushing is not available, than yes. But how can you pass up Rey Rey, and why Cushing??

Cushing does not play a position right now that SD needs. Correct? He's an outside guy, and you guys are all set on the outsides. OT is definitely a need area, but Rey Rey is so good at 16, how can you pass him up?

In my mock I have Oher going the pick before you guys to the Jags (after a trade). If Oher, Smith, and the other big 2 OTs are gone, is Maualuga indeed the pick??

Thanks for the help in advance!

29. Boltjolt

Ratings:
    +402
    I dont like Rey at all

30. timepiece33

timepiece33 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +25
    I like Rey more than I like Michael Oher who is inconsistent and makes some atrocious decisions with regards to stunts. Highly talented and I might take a risk, but I'd take Rey over him in a heartbeat.