1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Why is our GM so glorified?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by LightEmUp, Oct 8, 2010.

1. LightEmUp

LightEmUp Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +11
    I've never seen a team where the GM is more important than the players. Look at the sigs and avy just on this message board and you will find they are littered with Aj honorabilia.

The man is worshipped but has never played a down in his life. He's an executive wearing flower printed t-shirts. It's his job to continue to build this team to a superbowl, not the future. If we are always building on the future, when does the present become relevant? And who gauges that growth when everyone is a ball slobbering fan?

Is there any other GM in the league who has a celebrity status amongst the teams fans as much as AJ? Do the Colts talk about Pollian this much, does the average Colts fan even know their GM's name? I've asked football fans around the office and they dont know the names of their teams GM. Why Aj?

He demands it. It's the way he does business. The way he continues to put himself in grudge matches with exiting vets. He's so stubborn he has a probowl WR sitting on the sidelines because he wouldnt bow down to his contract demands. There was no negotiation, no middle ground. It was Aj's way or nothin. And currently NOTHIN is what that Pro Bowl receiver is valued to us sitting on the bench. ironically Aj feels that NOTHIN is worth a 1st and 2nd round draft pic but only financially worth 3 million. I wonder what a rookie 1 and 2 make combined? I am sure it's more than 3 mill.

So what is it? Success in the draft during his early years? The fact the AFC West sucks or the fact he has done a great job marketing himself as some guru heavy handed decision maker that has the fans seeing Aj heads, not Charger helmets.

I'm a consumer and I put a level of value on the products I buy. As a 20+ year consumer of this team we are desperately in need of a super bowl. Always building towards the future to accomplish this the NY Jets with a rookie QB and coach beat us in the playoffs. They beat an experienced team loaded with Aj's hand picked talent. Is it only Aj's equation that works? Obviously not. And as fans, why are we not allowed to put checks n balances on the moves the FO makes?

Why has one man become bigger than the team? What is the obsession? Since NY gift wrapped the Merriman draft to Aj he hasnt hit big with a draftee. UFA have made a name but lets look at all the #1's, #2's and #3's hes drafted that havent. For ever Vj and Gates there are 10 draft pics that didnt do squat.

In 2006 we were building for the future. Today in 2010, no ring and nowhere closer, we are still building for the future. This sales pitch can last forever. Theres no accountability to get further than the previous year. The AFC West crown has become our goal. It's not even that we win a SB, it's that we havent gotten any closer. In fact, we are trending the opposite way.

2. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    :yawn:

3. LightEmUp

LightEmUp Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +11
    Exactly what you said you were going to control Conc. Your desire to look like a kid is lost on me but I can see why it amuses the others.

4. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    That is an insult to you? Seriously?

Allow me to iluminate the situation.

It is not an insult and the topic boares me.

5. socaldelmar

socaldelmar Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +20
    I'd say Polian and Pioli are much more glorified by their own fans and fans around the league. In fact, save for a contingent of Chargers fans that know what they are talking about and a select few in the media... AJ is ridiculed around the league by the fans and media far more than he is glorified.

A better question is why people continue to glorify a player who does not play on this team anymore, but a team that knocked us out of the playoffs last year. Nothing wrong for praising LT for what he did for this team and what he meant to the fans and the city, but he's not a Charger anymore, I am indifferent towards him as a player at this point and would never think about displaying an avatar with him and his Jets buddies. Nothing personal

6. LightEmUp

LightEmUp Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +11
    Your second paragraph isnt worth talking about. Make a thread on it and I'll be there.

I understand why he is ridiculed throughout the league, I am asking why our fanbase glorifies him so much.

7. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,074
    Because AJ's sole purpose in life is to make your life miserable. And it looks like he is doing everything right.

8. LightEmUp

LightEmUp Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +11
    Appreciate the input. When your so brave as to create your own thread with your own opinion I will be there to be a chump like you. Or you can just continue to pop into other peoples threads just to talk ****.

9. socaldelmar

socaldelmar Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +20
    Of course you would say that, then you would have to defend yourself for that awful avatar...

Because he's our GM? Most fans believe he's handled this team quite well since he took over as GM, he isn't perfect but no one can be and all the same people that glorify what they feel he does right they will also criticize what they feel he's done wrong... just as there are some that side more on criticizing him that will give him the occasional praise for good work. There are also people on each end of the spectrum... those who ridicule him no matter what and those who glorify him no matter what.

I think you would find that to be the case for most of the fanbases around the league that have a polarizing(or so thats the perception) figure managing their team.

A direct answer to you question above, there are people that just absolutely love his style of business and how he has handled the players so they make avatars and signatures etc. I dont think it's that many people

10. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,074
    with you its easy!

you are all over the place with one agenda!

To Lick VJ nuts every chance you get.

The crap is getting old!

You whine about everything because you do not like the fact that AJ is letting that person who is not here rot!

11. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
  12. LightEmUp

LightEmUp Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +11
    Conc, you gonna do what you said you would do? I did my part.

13. LightEmUp

LightEmUp Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +11
    Make the thread dude. You will wish you never did after I get into it. I'm not dodging the question at all and please believe I am more than ready to bring it. So make the thread and lets get to it.

Speaking of loving his business style. Just what are you talking about? Hanging a kid out to dry like VJ? Resigning a guy like Castillo to that pompus contract he is making? Letting Buster Davis sit on the bench injured for 3 years while dumping Chris Chambers? Just what style are you talking about? You will be hard pressed after Merriman to provide any success worth mentioning and I already gave Aj/Ny credit for the Merriman draft.

14. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Which post do you take exception to?

15. LightEmUp

LightEmUp Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +11
    Seriously man? I honored your request with respect. Now you wanna play games.

The freaking pics and vid that have nothing to do with the topic.

16. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    No, they have more to do with the manner in which you choose to interact with others here.

I find little respect in the manner you 'honored' my request. Unless you think PM'ing me and telling me to pound sand is respectful.

However in fairness I have raised the issue to other Mods and Admins.

You will find if you try and get along with people, that your stay becomes easier.

17. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,582
  18. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Ratings:
    +1,582
    [​IMG]

19. LightEmUp

LightEmUp Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +11
    I see your a liar than. Controlling threads and getting them back on topic was never your intention. I called you out that day, you proved me right a week later. Telling you to pound sand was obviously the way to go.

You also sound just like the CMB and SOSD. "Conform and your stay will be better." - Those looking to get away from censorship need not post here. Sharing your opinion isnt wanted unless it mirrors the site opinion.

Tell me where in this thread I intended to not get along with people. Show me where I went on the attack and called an individual out for their opinion.

Your playin games and I will too.

Never should have trusted you. Lesson learned.

20. ntman68

ntman68 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +139
    Why do you guys keep falling for this dudes bait? Put him on ignore and let's move on...

• Like Like x 1
  21. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    Why are you such an attention whore?

22. LightEmUp

LightEmUp Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +11
    It's a ****** discussion based website ********. I'm here for discussion. I cant help it people want to act like kids and turn every ****** post into a **** flinging contest.

23. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    This is an attempt to get along?

Is this your attempt at open dialogue? Fail...

Glad you will be here to 'chump' others...

Pining for sensorship... I am surprised you did not like the other forums more...

You should use Then instead of Than.... But I dont care if you trust me or not. It is not required that you like or trust me. If I controlled the threads in the manner you demand, you would be crying about sensorship as you are one of the most derailing forces we have to threads.

24. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Ratings:
    +1,582
    [​IMG]

25. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    The real question is: Why are you such an idiot and WHY do we even READ what you post! Wondering that myself....:mad:

• Like Like x 1
  26. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Ok. LEU is right this thread has gone off topic, lets close her down boys...

• Like Like x 1
  27. LightEmUp

LightEmUp Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +11
    The pussies are on the attack. Conc proved hes a liar. and the boysclub is in full swing.

Here ya go new members. This is whats waiting for you for sharing your opinion.

Awesome stuff.

28. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Ratings:
    +1,582
    Hey! I made the list!!!

[​IMG]

29. Ride The Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,748
    [​IMG]

30. Ride The Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,748
    [​IMG]