1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Why Isn't Kevin Ellison signed yet

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Jul 28, 2009.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    Sixth-round pick Kevin Ellison remains a holdout, unsigned, though the sides are still working toward a deal expected to be completed soon.

The picks immediately preceding and following Ellison have signed, essentially for the same amount of total money and signing bonus.

:popcorn:

174. Denver (fr. DET) - QB, Tom Brandstater, Fresno State - Signed (4-years, terms undisclosed)
    175. Kansas City - WR, Quinten Lawrence, McNeese State
    176. Atlanta (fr. STL) - LB, Spencer Adkins, Miami - Signed (4-years, $1.869M; $119,050 signing bonus)
    177. Cleveland - CB, Don Carey, Norfolk State - Signed (4-years, terms undisclosed)
    178. Seattle - QB, Mike Teel, Rutgers - Signed (4-years, $1.864M; $114,250 signing bonus)
    179. Cincinnati - CB, Morgan Trent, Michigan - Signed (4-years, $1.862M; $112K signing bonus)
    180. Jacksonville - TE, Zach Miller, Nebraska-Omaha - Signed (4-years, terms undisclosed)
    181. Miami (fr. OAK) - OT, Andrew Gardner, Georgia Tech - Signed (4-years, $1.859M; $109,775 signing bonus)
    182. Green Bay - DE, Jarius Wynn, Georgia - Signed (4-years, $1.858M; $108,730 signing bonus)
    183. Buffalo - CB, Cary Harris, USC - Signed (4-years, $1.856M; $108,650 signing bonus)
    184. San Francisco - TE, Bear Pascoe, Fresno State - Signed (4-years, $1.856M; $106,550 signing bonus)
    185. Baltimore (fr. DEN) - RB, Cedric Peerman, Virginia - Signed (3-years, $1.263M; $78,000 signing bonus)
    186. Washington - LB, Robert Henson, TCU - Signed (4-years, $1.852M; $102,500 signing bonus)
    187. Green Bay (fr. NO) - CB, Brandon Underwood, Cincinnati - Signed (4-years, $1.852M; $102,200 signing bonus)
    188. Houston - CB, Brice McCain, Utah - Signed (4-years, $1.851M; $101,750 signing bonus)
    189. San Diego - S, Kevin Ellison, USC
    190. Chicago - S, Al Afalava, Oregon State - Signed (4-years, $1.85M; $100,600 signing bonus)
    191. Cleveland (fr. TB) - CB, Coye Francies, San Jose State - Signed (4-years, terms undisclosed)
    192. Detroit (fr. DAL) - RB, Aaron Brown, TCU - Signed (3-years, terms undisclosed)
    193. NY Jets - G, Matt Slauson, Nebraska - Signed (4-years, $1.85M; $100,200 signing bonus)
    194. Philadelphia - WR, Brandon Gibson, Washington State - Signed (4-years, $1.85M; $100K signing bonus)
    195. Cleveland (fr. PHI/MIN) - RB, James Davis, Clemson - Signed (4-years, terms undisclosed)
    196. St. Louis (fr. ATL) - QB, Keith Null, West Texas A&M - Agreed to terms (4-years, terms undisclosed)
    197. Dallas (fr. MIA) - LB, Stephen Hodge, TCU - Signed (4-years, terms undisclosed)
    198. New England (fr. BAL) - LS, Jake Ingram, Hawaii
    199. Oakland (fr. NE) - DE, Stryker Sulak, Missouri - WAIVED/UNSIGNED
    200. NY Giants - CB, DeAndre Wright, New Mexico - Signed (4-years, $1.83M; $93,009 signing bonus)
    201. Indianapolis - QB, Curtis Painter, Purdue
    202. Oakland (fr. CAR) - TE, Brandon Myers, Iowa - Signed (4-years, terms undisclosed)
    203. Tennessee - CB, Jason McCourty, Rutgers - Signed (4-years, $1.839M; $89,800 signing bonus)
    204. Arizona - LB, Will Davis, Illinois - Signed (3-years, $1.25M; $65,916 signing bonus)
    205. Pittsburgh - DT, Ra'Shon Harris, Oregon - Signed (3-years, $1.249M; $64,000 signing bonus)
    206. Tennessee (comp) - WR, Dominique Edison, Stephen F. Austin - Signed (4-years, $1.83M; $80,600 signing bonus)
    207. New England (comp) - DT, Myron Pryor, Kentucky - Signed (4-years, $1.829M; $79,000 signing bonus)
    208. Dallas (comp) - TE, John Phillips, Virginia - Signed (4-years, terms undisclosed)
    209. Cincinnati (comp) - RB, Bernard Scott, Abilene Christian - Signed (4-years, $1.827M; $77,500 signing bonus)

2. sdbound

sdbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +942
    The popular train of though is that his brother/agent is being very careful not to make a mistake with the contract.

3. TBF

TBF BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +148
    Hell be there.... Its much more than just the obvious money.... clause here, clause there etc....

i respect the guy for going with family and keeping the money in house.... Its scary to mix biz and family, i hope it works out for us and both of them.

4. BoltzRule

BoltzRule Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155
    Maybe he wants 3 years while the Chargers want 4, or maybe it's just something minor.

5. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Yup - he's inexperienced with this sort of thing. Last I heard is that they're close. He'll be in with the vets at the latest, I believe.

6. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +636
    I hope he signs soon, I want him to take Hart's spot, sorry Trumpy :icon_shrug:

7. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Screw Trumpy. Hart's a scrub. :lol:

8. MONDO.

MONDO. Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +36
    Although holding out isn't the smartest game to play with AJ this isn't some superstar negotiations a 10 year; $140,000,000 contract either...

I think it is something minor and everything will be sorted out by preseason... Hopefully the kid can get on the field and make some plays.

Although Hart has been a scrub at times; he has also worked his *** off to stay on the field and this year won't be any difference. Baring injury and given the chargers record of easing rooks into the system, Ellison will be used sparingly the first half of the season, and hopefully push to take the starting spot by mid-season.

Go BOLTS!
    :bolt:

9. coachmarkos

coachmarkos BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +47
    according to BW's "sources" it's most likely because it's his brother, and he's never done this before., and he's calling the PA all the time to make sure he isn't making a mistake.

I'm confident they'll get it done soon, and I can't really blame the kid for hiring his brother.

10. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    that's the rumor that I'm getting thru the interwebs. :yes:

11. Fouts

Fouts I heart Deano!

Ratings:
    +350
    I actually like Norv's response. :icon_eek:

“I’m disappointed that Kevin is not here,” Turner said. “He’s a sixth-round pick. I just hope it doesn’t keep him from making the football team. Every day he’s not here it’s going to hurt him.”

12. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    I do as well, but I'm not happy that he's losing ground on taking Hart's job with every day that he stays out.

Norv has the right stance on it, though.

13. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    CHARGERS NOTES: Turner upset by Ellison's holdout

By SCOTT BAIR - Tuesday, July 28, 2009 12:11 AM PDT

SAN DIEGO ---- Kevin Ellison didn't participate in the first practice of training camp, and Chargers coach Norv Turner wasn't happy about it.

The sixth-round pick out of USC impressed the coaching staff during offseason sessions, so much so that Ellison was expected to compete for significant playing time and possibility a starting spot at strong safety.

The excitement has been tempered slightly by Ellison's absence on Monday due to a prolonged contract negotiation.

"I'm disappointed that Kevin's not here," Turner said. "He's a sixth-round pick, and I just hope it doesn't keep him from making the football team. Every day he's not here, it's going to hurt him."

Chris Ellison, Kevin's brother and agent, would not comment on Turner's reaction, but did characterize the negotiations as "pretty friendly."

"We're pretty close," Chris Ellison said. "I don't want to give an exact timetable, but we'll get something done sooner rather than later. I'm confident we'll get a deal done in the near future."

In Turner's eyes, a deal can't get done fast enough.

"It's a big deal for a young player to miss time," he said, "especially when you're fighting for a spot on a very good roster."

Buster's back

Wide receiver Buster Davis was a full participant in the Chargers' first workout of training camp. He caught seemingly every pass thrown his way and looked good doing so, after missing significant time last season with a groin problem.

"I think being here early will give me an advantage when everyone else comes in," said Davis, who hasn't lived up to expectations since being picked in the first round of the 2007 NFL draft. "It will allow me to get better timing with Philip (Rivers) and Billy (Volek)."

That's important for Davis because of the missed time.

"Buster looked good," Rivers said. "He's had some unfortunate injuries that he's had a hard time battling through them. ... We all know what Buster can do. You saw signs of that at times. We know what he can do, and he seems determined to prove himself."

Refresher course

The first few practices of training camp are held for rookies and select veterans ---- generally, quarterbacks or players coming off injury. The objective is to review what was taught during offseason coaching sessions so the team can get going in earnest on Friday when the full squad works out for the first time.

With so many rep-deserving veterans absent, rookies have a chance to impress while they're the focal point.

"You progress through repetition, so it's great to get so many touches in practice," said running back Gartrell Johnson, a fourth-round pick out of Colorado State. "I'm always trying to impress, trying to open eyes in different ways, whether it's rushing or catching passes or blocking or on special teams. This first week offers a chance to make a good impression."

Et cetera

Ten veterans joined the rookies on the first day of training camp. Some of them rehabilitated inside, but WR Buster Davis, OLB Shawne Merriman, QBs Phillip Rivers, Billy Volek and Charlie Whitehurst, ILB Brandon Siler and OLs L.J. Shelton and Scott Mruczkowski were heavily involved in the practice itself. ... Former Los Angeles and USC coach John Robinson, Chargers coach Norv Turner's close friend and mentor, is helping the Chargers as an advisor and consultant.

http://www.nctimes.com/articles/2009/07/28/sports/chargers/z1606c2add956a8fc8825760000820a59.txt

14. SanDiegoRon

SanDiegoRon BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +321
    he's from SC, what did you expect...:lol:

15. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    he should remember he's a 6th rounder who has a CHANCE to step in and participate/start. He keeps holding out his chances drop a bit every day

16. sdbound

Ratings:
    +942
    Good point. The Chargers should at least match what USC was paying him.

17. TheLash

TheLash Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +715
    I agree it's stupid for a 6th rounder w/ the guys to both sides of him signed to not be signed:tdown:

18. sdbound

Ratings:
    +942
    The Chargers are offering a 4 yr deal, Ellison is holding out for a 3 yr deal. He won't get it.

19. TheLash

TheLash Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +715
    :lol:damn I wish I'd said that

20. Fouts

Fouts I heart Deano!

Ratings:
    +350
    Idiot brother, sounds like he is in over his head, might ruin the 6th round picks chance to play on a VERY GOOD TEAM. This aint the Faiders, or queefs, every spot is going to be hard to get!

21. Osmekaman

Osmekaman BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +31
    Most 6th round picks are so desperate for a shot at making an NFL roster that they will take whatever is offered to get to camp.

Seems to me that Kevin rates himself more highly than that and is maybe confident of becoming a starter on this team (where ever did he get that idea from :icon_shrug:).
    He'll be hoping for starter money a year earlier than would be possible with a 4 year deal.

Like everyone else, I hope he doesn't make a booboo here.