1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Why it makes NO sense to trade or release LT...

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Boltergeist, Jan 7, 2009.

1. Boltergeist

Boltergeist BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +111
    There is a changing of guard on this team to a different approach, this is undeniable...but the evolution isn't over...and this offense can continue to get even better WITH LT AND Sproles in a backfield combo a la Fred Taylor and MJD...a couple of tweaks to the OLine and we have an unstoppable offense with two backs who not only tear it up on the ground but fit like a glove in the passing game. Why does it make no sense to trade LT now and get younger? Start with the contract....and we have many BIG contracts to pay already to Rivers, Merriman (I hope), Sproles (though not a bank buster), VJ, McNeil and possibly Cromartie..

LT signed an 8 year 60MM contract in 2004 with a 21MM up front balloon bonus payment....He has already been paid the lions share of his contract 48.475MM....His remaining contract including what he was paid this year is as follows:

2008: 5.75MM
    2009: 6.75MM
    2010: 8MM
    2011: 9.275MM

By comparison, Marion Barber made 12.75MM this year alone and Steven Jackson made 16MM....and these are supposed upgrades in their prime. What did Barber do for his money when given a chance to shoulder a full load?

Barber 2008: 885 yards rushing 3.7 ypc 7 rush TD 9 total TD
    LT 2008 (career worst year): 1015 yards rush 3.8ypc 11 rush TD 12 total TD

We won't even compare the receiving stats because Barber's are a joke by comparison. Also, while Jackson barely outrushed LT, he also had less total yards and had less TDs....

As the salary cap keeps increasing and RB salaries blow up more each year...LT's remaining deal is a relative bargain for a guy who will almost certainly run for 1000 catch 40-50 balls and score double digit TDs on the low end......with Sproles in the mix taking carries and keeping LT healthy, everyones numbers and production go up.

Sproles is also not a full time back....he can shoulder the load for 2-3 games in the playoffs...but if he starts having to carry the load for 10 games, he'll be done...either too banged up or injured...he's already missed one full year.

In short, we have the passing and running game in place now...we just need the OLine back in shape and retain our existing star players. The trend these days is that any runningback drafted who puts up decent / promising numbers in the first couple of years, is immediately rewarded with a fat contract...a la Green Bay's running back from last year Grant, who didn't even finish with 1000 yards and held out until he got his huge contract without REALLY earning it....That's the last thing we need.

LT was injured this year...If we trade or release him, we will rue the day...It will be Rodney Harrison deja vu...except worse when we see him ripping it up with the Patriots or Colts and then sticking it to us in the playoffs. Just don't let it happen A.J. Don't be an idiot.

• Like Like x 2
  2. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    Two words to counter that
    KNOWSHON MORENO

Not saying we should trade or release LT, but seriously look this kid up. He's a player.

3. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    the problem is the chargers need to keep some other players as well. If ladanian were to be his old self then he'd be worth keeping. But if not then the smartest thing really might be to trade him while he still has some rubber on his wheels.

Its a difficult circumstance for all chargers fans out there. But team wise with a 30 year old running back on his last legs what do you do. If you want to try and keep improving the team or let it dwindle.

Lets face it. Do you do whats best for the team or do you go another route.

Ladanian will always be loved by all us chargers fans. I hope he knows that. He's brought many a smile to all our faces over the years.

• Like Like x 1
  4. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    That's funny Ant. I just saw this Moreno kid on ESPN and I swear he reminds me of a young LT (there's only one LT, I know) He might go too high but this guy looks like the real deal. I love LT but we do have to start thinking about RB for the future and I don't think Sproles can shoulder the load as the every down back. Sproles in Screens and in space, yes but you still need that bigger bruiser over the course of the season to run between the tackles. I love The Elf to death but I don't think he can run at this pace over 16 game season. Just my opinion.

5. BoltzRule

BoltzRule Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155
    Just say no to a 1st round RB.

AJ was able to pick up Michael Turner in the 5th and Darren Sproles in the 4th, so why would you spend a 1st when you've shown you can draft a quality rb in the middle of the draft? Really no reason to waste a pick that high on a RB anymore (unless we're picking 32nd and he falls to our laps then it might end up worth it, but not at 16).

6. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    "Bring out you dead! Bring out your dead"!

"But I'm NOT dead yet! I'm only badly Wounded"!

Quit trying to carry LT out of the hovel. He ain't dead yet.

7. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    I was curious to see how where the top running backs this season were drafted.

Here are the top 20 RBs this season (by rushing yardage) and the round they were drafted in.

1) Adrian Peterson - 1st round
    2) Michael Turner - 5th round
    3) DeAngelo Williams - 1st round
    4) Clinton Portis - 2nd round
    5) Thomas Jones - 1st round
    6) Steve Slaton - 3rd round
    7) Matt Forte -2nd round
    8) Chris Johnson - 1st round
    9) Ryan Grant - undrafted
    10) LaDainian Tomlinson - 1st round
    11) Brandon Jacobs - 4th round
    12) Steven Jackson - 1st round
    13) Frank Gore - 3rd round
    14) Marshawn Lynch - 1st round
    15) Derrick Ward - 7th round
    16) Jamal Lewis - 1st round
    17) Kevin Smith - 3rd round
    18) Brian Westbrook - 3rd round
    19) Ronnie Brown - 1st round
    20) Larry Johnson - 1st round

1st round = 50%
    2nd round = 10%
    3rd round = 20%
    4th round = 5%
    5th round = 5%
    6th round = 0%
    7th round = 5%
    undrafted = 5%

Pretty compelling reason to draft the RB position a bit higher. Don't think you're going to find diamonds in the rough like Turner or Sproles in every draft. :no:

8. antipsychotic

antipsychotic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +3
    Well said.
    I am a fan of the Chargers above any one player.
    I for one like the two back trend that the majority of teams are going with. I want a power back and a speedy back that can keep the defenses off balance.
    Sadly my perfect two back combo would be Turner and Sproles.
    What can I say, I am a "what have you done for me lately" kind of guy.

9. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    THIS

:tup:

[/thread]

10. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Good post, foober. :yes: The issue is this, IMO - would LT, given his injury history of late & his age, bring enough in a trade to make it worthwhile? Maybe .... but remember, Matt Millen is no longer a GM. :lol:

Take a look at Rashad Jennings - could be available in rounds 3-4. Very MT-like. :yes:

As far as Moreno goes .... :unsure:

If we draft at #16, take the BPA. If that happens to be Moreno, so be it.

If we draft 31 or 32 - a good RG prospect is the way to go. Duke Robinson, anyone?

11. Boltergeist

Boltergeist BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +111
    For the record, I'm not against picking up a RB later in the draft as a Michael Turner type replacement...I just dont want to see us dump LT right now when he still has a lot to give at a reasonable price tag. We just need to groom another back....and I think this was the idea in our attempt to trade for Michael Bush of the Raiders.....that can step it and take the regular pounding away from LT, so he AND Sproles are fresh and HEALTHY all year and into the playoffs.

No way to Knowshon Moreno...He'll be gone way to early for one...and we need Olinemen early in the draft, not a runningback.

12. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,072
    LT is falling by the wayside, and its the same wayside that so many other RBs have gone. By he NFL standards he is now old. All those years have caught up with him.

Those people that want to keep him are speaking from the heart.

That’s okay I am not saying that’s wrong.

But once again the NFL is a business.

The business is to win.

We are winning without LT in there. He hurt us last year, admit it.

Sproles should have replaced him late last year, but we kept LT in there when he was hurt.

Norv will not pull LT unless he absolutely has too.

With LT gone we can spend that money he is making elsewhere.

I do not want to watch some guy playing at 60% and have everyone drooling over him. When LT gets hurt, and that has become quite regularly now, he tries to play through which hurts our team.

Give me someone who is 100% and wants to win.

13. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    L.T. CONFIRMS GROIN TEAR, WHICH COULD BE PROOF OF RIFT WITH TEAM
    Posted by Mike Florio on January 8, 2009, 9:59 a.m.

On Saturday, there were conflicting reports regarding the extent of Chargers running back LaDainian Tomlinson’s groin injury.

Both Chris Mortensen of ESPN and Adam Schefter of NFLN reported that L.T. has a detached adductor tendon in his groin.

But coach Norv Turner told NBC’s Andrea Kremer that he was as “surprised as anyone” by the reports of a detached adductor tendon. Turner told Kremer that, if the reports of a tear were true, Tomlinson wouldn’t have been able to walk.

Multiple media sources have since pointed out to us a couple of intriguing points, which frankly could point to an eventual divorce between the Chargers and Tomlinson.

First, it’s widely believed that agent Tom Condon leaked to Mort and Schefter the notion of a detached adductor tendon, so that Tomlinson wouldn’t be the target of the same criticism he faced last year, when he missed most of the AFC title game due to an MCL sprain — even as quarterback Philip Rivers played with a torn ACL.

Condon’s apparent goal was to create for L.T. a no-lose situation in which, if he could play extensively and effectively, he’d be a hero. In contrast, if Tomlinson was limited (as he was, carrying the ball only five times), he would not be subject to villification. (Though we’ve knocked Condon in the past, he clearly did the right and smart thing in this case for his client’s interests.)

Turner’s decision to opt for the Sgt. Schulz routine, understating the extent of the injury and overstating the limitations that the detached tendon would create, would have contributed to the perception that L.T. was being soft, but for Condon’s efforts to get the accurate information out there.

Second, don’t forget that the Chargers fueled the perception that Tomlinson wasn’t willing to play through pain by announcing in the press box during the AFC championship that Tomlinson “can return.”

So, four days after the overtime win in which Tomlinson contributed a touchdown, the 2006 NFL MVP has confirmed that, indeed, he has a groin tear. And while Turner said after Saturday night’s game that the injury has gotten no worse, Tomlinson characterizes himself as “doubtful” for Sunday’s game against the Steelers.

As pointed out in our most recent item for SportingNews.com, that actually might be a good thing for the Chargers, given that the Steelers generally have contained L.T. in his four career games against Pittsburgh. The shifty, elusive Darren Sproles could be a tougher target for the Steelers linebackers to corral (or, as the case may be, carouse).

The broader question that the Chargers will face in the offseason is whether to make Darren Sproles the latest budding superstar to walk away without compensation.

With quarterback Drew Brees named the AP offensive player of the year three seasons after leaving and running back Michael Turner drawing MVP votes in his first year out of San Diego after finishing second only to Adrian Peterson in rushing yards, the looming choice between Sproles and Tomlinson could make L.T. the second former MVP to be out of a job barely two years after winning the award.

14. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    That number right there will either have to go away 100% OR it gets renegotiated down (restructured). I do not see the Chargers paying LT almost $7 million next year after groin surgery and hitting 30 plus his 9th year in the league.