1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Why LT was missed and why we have reason for optimism!

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Boltergeist, Sep 20, 2009.

1. Boltergeist

Boltergeist BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +111
    First of all...big props to PR's huge game today...he got some help from Sproles, but made great reads...checked down beautifully...and was just effing surgical at points during the game. That was a great defense we played....and he diced them up.

IMO LT and Sproles compliment each other perfectly....I like Bennett also...but he is what he is...a one cut runner with great speed who is otherwise a notch below LT's ability in every single area...and straightline speed is probably a wash also. LT is a huge loss when we get into the red zone and it showed today....He HAS to be accounted for inside the 5 as a runner....He is the NFL's 2nd all-time scorer at RB. ALL-TIME...If NOTHING else, he occupies the thoughts of defensive coordinators when he is in the game near the goal line. Teams do not worry about Sproles running through the center of the defense on short yardage....only the Raiders would blow a play like that....The Ravens....not so much. In the open field on 3rd down, with all of our weapons, Sproles is lethal....When we have both healthy, we have quite a tandem now....a lot like Maurice Jones-Drew and Fred Taylor from a couple of years ago on Jax.

Otherwise, I am pretty proud of the team overall...A major adjustment had to be made this week given Jamal's departure and we are still figuring it out....obviously we had trouble stopping the run against a very physical front 7 with hall of fame players in Lewis and Reed diagnosing plays on the fly and leading the defense to the ball carrier. We made adjustments throughout the game and ultimately I felt that we lost on a couple of unfortunate INTS....the second of which should have been a PI on the defense.

To close this thought out. This was about as bad of a matchup as we're going to face....an offense that has 3 good RB's running behind a wall of meat....and an accurate QB who doesn't make many mistakes.....and on defense, a super stout front 7 that is going to make us one dimensional. Anyone who still thinks the season is over is just flat wrong...We are going to get a major playmaker in our offense back soon....our line will get healthy....and we will do something to shore up the D Line.

In spite of the loss, things are looking good my friends. Have a little faith.

• Like Like x 1
  2. TheBeast

TheBeast BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +127
    Definitely played hard and i'm proud of the team but we deserved this one.

Man this one hurts.

3. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    Let me break it down for you. We should not have to score 30 points a game to win. PERIOD!

• Like Like x 1
  4. Showmeyourbolt

Showmeyourbolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +192
    LT isn't the same runner he once was, but he's still capable of a thousand yards and ten touchdowns. Both Sproles and LT compliment each other perfectly, and he was missed today. They're a better version of the Jones and Washington duo in New York.

And I agree with everything else 100 percent. I see more reasons to be optimistic than pessimistic at this point. AJ will do something to get another body in on the defensive line, and I see this offense only getting better as the year goes on. Defense is the worry at this point, and Ron will get things fixed up front.

5. Aggieman

Aggieman I bleed blue and gold

Ratings:
    +194
    I can't help but agree, particularly when we're talking about our chances in the red zone. However, we're a "pass first, ask questions later" team now, or at least were today. That should open up Bennet and Sproles on hand-offs and tosses against a less effective defense. However, with LT they also gain an advantage in the backfield passing game in so many ways. Bennet cannot carry the load IMO. Sproles certainly can't because he's too small to get into certain gaps. We need our LT, 100% or 75%; it'll still be more effective than what we've got. But we'll get by.

And to continue parroting Corona, we shouldn't have to score so many points. We NEED defense even more.

6. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,807
    Not every game no, but sometimes you do. They had to score 30+ to beat us didn't they?

Kaeding was money today tho :icon_tease:

7. Chargers-Superhero

Chargers-Superhero Just win the Damn SB !!!

Ratings:
    +117
    We have no running game.:tdown:

8. BoltFanDC

BoltFanDC Mufflers Are Overrated

Ratings:
    +329
    Yes because they were all chippers. 0-5 in the Red Zone is horrible to say the least.

Guess it's one of those "glass half empty" viewpoints...

9. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,807
    I'm just giving Corona some **** about Nate ;) good natured poking of the fun hehe

Being so ineffective in the red zone is DEFINITELY problem tho I agree, but one I'm hopeful we can fix especially since the Raven's D is one of the best we will face all season.

10. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    Which he should be. We will revisit this again when the pressure is on. :lol:

11. BoltFanDC

BoltFanDC Mufflers Are Overrated

Ratings:
    +329
    I don't think Syd could have teed that up any better for you... :lol:

12. Boltergeist

Boltergeist BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +111
    Other positives:

- Merriman at least looked better running around today. I suspect he will continue to improve as he gets his legs under him...Big play to cause the INT today.

- A Luis Castillo sighting....OMG, it's been forever since i've heard that guys name called for anything good.

- Scott Mruc is doing a great job IMO.....in some areas he is a actually more stout than Hardwick who I've never been a huge fan of anyway.

- Vaughn Martin wasn't horrible....considering how overwhelmed he must be, he did a respectable job. This was invaluable experience for him in a tight, hard fought game against a good team.

- Vincent Jackson is becoming a star....a MAJOR star....right before our eyes.

- It is clear what our majore weakness is....We were tested today by one of the NFL's best in the trenches on both sides of the ball...We can survive with our OLine....just let them get healthy and more consistent......We need to go out and get some help on the D line. Hopefully we can work something out.

13. TheBeast

TheBeast BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +127
    Dudes an absolute beast.

Another positive, my adopted bolt has 2 picks :abq2:

14. ChargerRay

ChargerRay #FireMcCoy #FirePagano Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +867
    IMO LT (@ 30 years old) < 100% is pretty much useless. Let him sit until that finally happens.

15. bigmike.x.09

bigmike.x.09 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +280
    Martin made whoever he was working against his *****.

Another positive. JACQUES CESAIRE! BACKUP EXTRAORDINAIRE!!!

16. ChargerRay

ChargerRay #FireMcCoy #FirePagano Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +867
    Another positive is that Michael Bennett gains positive running yards when given a chance. Too bad he wasn't in there to help on 3rd and 4th down on the final drive. Oh and Kaeding is automatic within 40 yards.

17. Boltergeist

Boltergeist BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +111
    Michael Bennett is a nice backup...that's all he is...He is the same Michael Bennett that has been in the league for 8 or 9 years...Speedy back...not great between the tackles...and extremely injury prone over his career. He wasn't in to help on 3rd down because Sproles is a much bigger threat....the personell we had on the field was fine at that point....the play call to run up the gut with Sproles was unbelievably awful on 4th and 2.

Our running game was non-existant today....we still moved the ball and that is a positive...but it hurt us in the red zone which is where LT was needed badly. The Ravens defense didn't have to overload to stop the run on short yardage...They know if LT is there that he is a threat to vault over the line....or plow straight ahead for a couple of years....or run around the edge....or catch a ball in the flat just like Sproles....they also know he smells blood like no one else in the league around the goal line....That's a threat we did not have with Bennett + Sproles.

18. Helmutt

Helmutt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +17
    Also we were 43% on 3rd down conversions. That's a sign of good pass protection and Rivers staying cool.

One thing we have to get on top of is penalties- we had 12 for 85 yards- and a few that gave the birds a first down and kept their drives alive.

19. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    One touchdown of the many times we were in the red zone and we'd have won it.

We were manhandled in areas where toughness are the name of the game

20. bigmike.x.09

bigmike.x.09 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +280
    Yep. Take away most of those penalties and we win.

21. Boltergeist

Boltergeist BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +111
    I figure I will bump this thread periodically as I'm just tired of seeing so much negativity in most of the other threads on here. No one likes to lose, but the prevailing attitude is almost like we got waxed 35-3....Bottom line, we played a pretty good team....on both sides of the ball....We were outmanned and adjusting from significant injuries....and we still knuckled up and went toe-to-toe with the Ravens...and really should have won if not for some screw ups that are going to happen over the course of a game. At a minimum, this told me that this team does have some heart and isn't going to pack it in just because Jamal is out.

Should we feel worse than the Packers do after losing to the Bengals at home this week?....or how about the Patriots losing to the Jets?.....or Pittsburgh losing to the banged up Bears?

We've got a strong team....We got punched in the mouth with injuries early on...but we're already regrouping. It's a long year and we're going to have a lot of these games....Let's just keep some perspective that other teams are having injuries and other troubles too.