1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Why no contract moves?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Osmekaman, Aug 9, 2009.

1. Osmekaman

Osmekaman BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +31
    Like most of you, I am a trifle concerned at the lack of contract activity by the bolts.
    We seem to be more than adept at tying up fringe players on reasonable deals. However, the big guns are still out there dangling in the wind. Normally when talks are on-going, you can usually get info from one side or the other.
    Nada at the moment on PR, SM, VJ, Gates, McNeil.

With this is mind - does anyone have informed opinion as to the Bolts strategy on this?
    Is it as simple as once Rivers signs, we can see how much is left in the pot?

We seem to be sleepwalking towards losing most of our great players.

2. boltfanatik

boltfanatik Toxic Minority Member

Ratings:
    +112
    it's seems to be about patience and money to me, throw in 2010 agreement and the possible strike AJ's all about the money and I have trust in what he does. Going to be some interesting moves happening here .

3. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    These things always travel under the radar nowadays. Remember the Tomlinson rework earlier in the year. Everyone was foaming at the mouth wanting to know what the fcuk was going on for weeks, then suddenly it was all over.

Relax, Rivers isn't going anywhere.

4. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    Rivers will be the first domino to fall. Now that Eli got his ridiculous contract, we should see negotiations heat up. VJ and Merriman are kind of in a holding pattern because of the CBA situation. I expect the others to get extended, but it all starts with Rivers.

• Like Like x 1
  5. coachmarkos

coachmarkos BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +47
    Rivers wants it done, AJ wants it done, and Dean wants it done.

it'll happen. No worries here.

6. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +500
    OK, I agree Rivers will be staying....... expect his deal to be done in August.

Who else do you think will be tied up before/during 09 season?.

McNeill
    VJ
    Merriman
    Floyd
    Sproles
    etc etc

We have lots of guys to take care of. After Rivers for me priority #1 is McNeill.

7. PowderLove

PowderLove Former Mod, Current Slacker

Ratings:
    +494
    Something that you need to take into account is the oversaturation of "news" and rumors we've all become accustomed to. Just because contract negotiation deals aren't flying all over twitter and espn.com doesn't mean they aren't talking right now.

8. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    Considering that the Chargers treat the public and a goodly portion of the media like mushrooms, the lack of publicity is not surprising.

9. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    For me, it depends on how McNeill plays. Right now, I'd have to give Merriman the nod as the 2nd most important to get extended. All of this depends on how CBA negotiations play out.

10. Thread_Killer

Thread_Killer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +680
    I don't trust AJ. I think he worries too much about how much Merriman is on twitter, and what TV shows he appears on.

AJ shouldn't give a **** about that, just look at how Shawne is a great team leader who clearly puts his career at the top of his priority list.

Re-signing Rivers is a no-brainer, Merriman should be a no-brainer as well, but I think AJ is gong to let him walk. Which would be just as stupid as letting Rivers leave.

11. coachmarkos

coachmarkos BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +47
    I think Shawne gets the franchise tag, so from that list I pick McNeill, then Jackson.

Sproles will go somewhere to be a "feature back".

Unless Floyd "blows up" this year he'll probably be let go as well.

12. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    I couldn't agree more, TK. AJ would be crazy to think that shawne isn't going to market himself - after all, he can't play football forever. As long as it doesn't affect his primary focus being football, endanger his health, or harm the team's or NFL's rep, it's none of AJ's biz. But I'm not particularly worried yet.

If next year goes uncapped, doesn't that mean Merriman & McNeill are RFA's?

13. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    I would franchise Merriman. Malcom is going no place. Sproles is a specialty player, not many teams will depend on him as a featured back.

14. Osmekaman

Osmekaman BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +31
    At the current pace, were looking at a boat load of 3rd round compensatory picks in the draft, which is laughable looking at the talent in question.

I just don't understand why we are the only team unable to lock up it's marquee players.
    Rivers has got to be signed or we should fold the tent now. It would be like Air Coryell without Fouts.
    Sproles i get - he want's starter money and the carries that go with it.
    VJ has potential off-field problems (are we the girl guides?)
    McNeil needs to prove consistancy for another year.
    The Merriman situation is crazy and has been discussed to death (I hope Acee's conducting the biggest piss-take in history:yes:).

You can forget the San Diego discount once these guys are wearing the ring :icon_toast:

15. Zot

Zot Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +14
    Yes, if next year goes uncapped, Unrestricted becomes Restricted.

Later

16. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    Somehow I doubt our team is the exception here. Someone do some leg work and find how how other teams deal with their marquee players when they get close to free agency

:bolt: