1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Why Philip Rivers Is a Top-Five Quarterback in the NFL

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Concudan, Jun 23, 2009.

1. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    by Matt Miselis (Columnist)

Last week, I talked about Aaron Rodgers and whether he should be a top-five quarterback. We will do a more interesting one in Phillip Rivers.

Philip Rivers has always been one of the more talked about quarterbacks in the league.

Coming out of NC State, Rivers was originally selected by the New York Giants.

However, in a draft day deal, Rivers and Eli Manning swapped teams, and he ended up on the Chargers.

Though he has not won a Super Bowl like Manning or Ben Roethlisberger—who was also taken in the first round—statistically, he has been the best quarterback of the three.

In 2006, he began to rise, throwing for 3,388 yards with 22 touchdowns and nine interceptions.

In 2007, he threw for 3,152 yards, 21 touchdowns, and 15 interceptions, which did take a step down.

However, the 2008 season showed the breakout of Philip Rivers, who put up Pro-Bowl numbers by throwing for 4,009 yards, 34 touchdowns, and eleven interceptions, including a passer rating of 105.5.

These numbers showed the type of quarterback Rivers truly is: one that will throw for a lot of yards—including the touchdown passes—while being efficient with the football, which is most important.

Yes, you can make the argument that it is easy to throw for that many yards.

However, the running game was still being issued with LT struggling, and Sproles performed better than expected.

Vincent Jackson and Chris Chambers aren't exactly the receivers you can always count on, and Gates has been facing injuries a few times over the years.

His performance on the field is just a part of the equation.

Rivers showing clutch in the regular season is another way to show he is a top-five quarterback.

On paper last season, the Chargers were one of the favorites, no doubt about it.

Injuries to the defensive side, which included Merriman, did take a toll as there was a big drop-off from a few seasons ago when they were in top season form.

There was great stress on the offense and, with Tomlinson not performing, more pressure was put on Philip.

However, he stepped up to the task.

In the final weeks of the season, he won two divisional games, one against Kansas City and one against the Denver Broncos, to close out the season.

If all of these facts are in his favor, why isn't he looked at as a top-five quarterback?

Most likely, it is because he has not earned a trip to the Super Bowl.

Rivers has put up solid numbers in a few playoff performances even with not being supported by the greatest cast of an offense.

If Dan Marino is considered an NFL great without winning a Super Bowl, why shouldn't Rivers be considered a top-five quarterback?

For this list, you have Manning/Brady at the top, Big Ben has found his way into the mix, along with the rest in question marks, as it is a very tight down the rest of the board.

Rivers has put up the stats to prove his worthiness, and it is time he gets the respect he deserves.

This respect is joining the elite of top-five quarterbacks in the National Football League.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    I was just going to post that...

3. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    He is one of the best, no question. Eventually, these media asshats won't be able to deny it or leave him out of the debates. That is, if they can get Tony Romo's cawk outta their mouths long enough.

• Like Like x 1
  4. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

I think the answer to that problem is simple... why was ESPN slobbering all over Cutler last season? Because he put up awesome fantasy stats!
    If you play fantasy football, Rivers is good to have on your team but there are others that are better.

Just like all this talk about if LT still has it. All that's about is if he's still a top 5 FF pick. That's ALL it is.

The love for Eli is all about his last name. If his name was "Eli Jackson," you think he would have been a #1 draft pick? I think he'd get about as much ESPN love as Trent Dilfer.

5. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +984
    HOLY ****! :icon_eek:

We agree on something! :tup:

• Like Like x 1
  6. Alpenbolt

Alpenbolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +156
  7. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    Rivers is a great QB, unfortunately winning a Lombardi put's one in the class of the elite. Is it fair? No but that's how it is, just ask Fout's, Marino and Tarkington.

Fout's will always live in my mind as one of the best. River's right now is just another QB trying to grab that brass ring, I believe this is the year he brings the house down!!!!!!!!!

8. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +636
    1-2 Manning,Brady (or reverse them if you want)
    3 Maybe Rothlisberger
    4 Rivers
    5 Brees

so yes, he's a top 5 qb

9. PhilipRivers#1

PhilipRivers#1 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +464
    Me too ! :icon_toast::abq2::abq1::icon_party:

• Like Like x 1
  10. turbo_turtle

turbo_turtle In Disguise

Ratings:
    +890
    I disagree about Rothlisberger being a toip 5 because he has and had with both Rings he has won has an excellent Defense so I would not put him in the top five at all because of that alone. He is like Sheli Manning a Ring winner because of Defense. A top 10 maybe but not a top 5.

I agree though that Rivers is a Top 5 talent at QB.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Alpenbolt

Alpenbolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +156
    If the defense can just get us two 3-and-outs per half Rivers and his boys will take care of the rest. That 3rd quarter in the Steeler game was just unbelieveable.

12. Thread_Killer

Thread_Killer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +680
    Ben is in my top 5. He comes through in crunch time, he made some amazing plays in the Super Bowl.

Ben was a big reason why the Steeler won.

13. turbo_turtle

turbo_turtle In Disguise

Ratings:
    +890
    I just disagree. I do agree that Ben Rothlisberger does come through in Crunch time. I think that the Steeler Defense makes Rothlisberger a better QB than lets say he was in Seattle for instance then I think again he would be mediocre at best being their Quarterback.

Here is my Top 10 QB's
    1.) Tom Brady
    2.) Peyton Manning
    3.) Philip Rivers
    4.) Drew Brees
    5.) Eli Manning
    6.) Ben Rothlisberger
    7.) Donovan McNabb
    8.) Kurt Warner
    9.) Aaron Rodgers
    10.) Matt Ryan

I know you all can kill me now for my Top Ten QB's.

14. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Ahhh... So? Would Montana be any less of a QB if he had a worse D, or Fouts be any better a QB if he actually had a D?

15. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Good question, Conc.

They may have had better or worse records, but that doesn't change their skill sets. It's tough to separate an athlete's talent from their success as part of a team.

• Like Like x 1
  16. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,072
    Stats are for the fantasy people.

Until he has ring on his finger that he won while he played for the Chargers, I could careless where people have him rated.

• Like Like x 1
  17. turbo_turtle

turbo_turtle In Disguise

Ratings:
    +890
    My opinion is a yes. I will say it this way. This last Years Chargers Team. It had a lousy D. Philip Rivers could not just himself win more games with the offense alone, it takes the whole team. I will say the If, If the chargers had a better D, this last year then Philip would be able to do more with the Offense.

Another If as a question, If Philip Rivers or Ben Rothlisberger were on the Detroit Lions do you think they would be considered a top 5 QB?

That is my opinion.

• Like Like x 1
  18. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,886

• Like Like x 1
  19. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,072
    This is where the data gets skewed.

You will not find a top 5 QB on a team that is in last place. But yet you might a top 10 QB on a team that is in first place.

A top 5 QB will be surrounded by a great team. A last place time should just be surrounded!

20. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,886
    Philip would play great wherever he was, but you're right, it's the supporting cast.

21. Alpenbolt

Alpenbolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +156
    Cromartie said in an interview who talks the most trash on the practice field and in the locker room. He said Rivers by far hands-down was the biggest trash talker. Gotta love that in your QB.

22. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    1.) Tom Brady
    2.) Ben Rothlisberger
    3.) Peyton Manning
    4.) Philip Rivers
    5.) Drew Brees
    6.) Kurt Warner
    7.) Brett Farv
    8.) Donovan McNabb
    9.) Carson Palmer
    10.) Matt Ryan

23. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,886
    Philip will be #1 when he brings home the Lombardi. I just hope it's for our Bolt's.