1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Why Roski's Stadium Proposal Matters to the Chargers

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by sdjase, Mar 16, 2009.

1. sdjase

sdjase BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +6
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Eat My Boltage

Eat My Boltage Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +43
    First of let me just say I don't think that they are going anywhere. For one Spanos has said right now no one can afford to move in this ecconomy. For two spanos won't sell even a small percenctage of the chargers to anyone and roski is going to want a piece of any team he gets to come there for security reasons. Third Dean Spanos has said time and time again that San diego has and will always have first priority on a stadium deal. Now that we have a local government that is charger friendly I don't see them going anywhere. most of these reporter, pundit, analysts, all they do is try and stir the pot to make something out of nothing. It's called ratings or selling papers.:bolt:

3. reddenedbeard

reddenedbeard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +112
    While I think the Chargers 1st priority is to stay in the area, San Diego & Chula Vista are both running out of time .. Something needs to happen quickly during this upcoming season, otherwise I see the Chargers looking elsewhere.

4. sdjase

sdjase BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +6
    Agreed. They can only try for so long before they throw in the towel. We need to at least have a stadium plan in place within the next 12 months or we have a real chance of seeing them relocate to LA.

5. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    Though I agree with EMB... this still should not be taken lightly.
    Since NFL wants a team in LA so badly (even more badly than LA wants a team in LA), they should have helped them develop the Rams and let the Raiders go.
    Though now it would make sense for the Raiders to go there because there is NO way they'll ever get a new stadium in Oakland and last I heard, Al is willing to sell a percentage of the team.

6. Aggieman

Aggieman I bleed blue and gold

Ratings:
    +194
    Actually it absolutley is a possibilty because no matter how "Charger friendly" the city politicians are or how "committed to San Diego" Spanos is the money just isn't there to upgrade Qualcomm or build a new stadium in San Diego. That is not a problem for Roski and Spanos may be forced into accepting a deal even if he wants desperatley to stay in San Diego. One hope we can hold onto is that other teams may accept Roski's proposal before Spanos has a chance to look into it. But this is by far the most initiative towards an L.A. team we've seen since the Rams packed up so thinking it "just won't happen" is ridiculous. Here's hoping the LA Chargers of the City of Industry never becomes a reality.

7. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    If Spanos wants the new stadium in San Diego to happen, he really should stop spending money to research areas and wait this recession out. At least this group of politicians realizes that we HAVE to get a new stadium eventually. One year or ten years from now... it has to happen.
    He may not get it in 2011 but he'll get it soon enough.

As the article mentioned, that if the Chargers were to leave, that would most likely mean the end of Qualcomm. Which would also mean no more large-scale concerts, monster truck races, Supercross and FIFA soccer events. Though they forgot to mention Aztecs Football, Holiday Bowl, Poinsettia Bowl, Super Bowls, and various auto and RV expos.

Comic Con sold out all four days last year and most likely it will this year too. All downtown hotels were completely booked through the weekend, while bars and restaurants were packed.
    With Comic Con only having a few years left before it moves to Vegas, Chargers moving added to it will be A LOT of lost revenue!