1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Why stay on this course?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by DenverBolt67, Dec 29, 2010.

1. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    PARIS: Why stay on this course?

Home / Sports / Sports Columnists / Jay Paris

BY JAY PARIS - jparis@nctimes.com North County Times - Californian | Posted: Monday, December 27, 2010 10:58 pm | 1 Comment | Print

MEANINGLESSVILLE -- Say this about the Chargers after delivering their latest dose of disappointment: at least they didn't give coach Norv Turner an extension.

The Chargers were back at work Monday, one day after their bungle against the Bengals.

"What happened?'' Turner asked Sunday in the waning moments of loss No. 7. Turner was actually talking about Antoine Cason, seconds after the cornerback was hoodwinked by Carson Palmer and Jerome Simpson for a touchdown.

But really, Turner's comment is the catch-phrase of a Chargers season that started with as much hype as was afforded the Miami Heat -- almost.

Turner, unprovoked, crowed about how this could be his best Chargers team. That instead of the window of opportunity closing after the Chargers lost four Pro Bowl players in the offseason, it was expanding.

If so, how do you explain all of the swollen fingers at Chargers Park on Monday, one day after that window was slammed shut.

Turner, who had three years added to his contract after January's playoff loss to the Jets, wasn't interested in reviewing the season. Not with one game remaining Sunday at Denver.

"Where do you guys go now and what do you do?'' Turner said he has been asked.

"Well you have a game to play and some had made the comment it's a meaningless game. My answer is I've never been involved in a meaningless game."

We know they keep score, so he's correct. But a sampling of distraught Chargers fans tells a different story.

On blogs, message boards and radio call-in show, the natives are restless and they are venting.

I say good for them and let 'em have it.

The Chargers (8-7) have been tobogganing in the wrong direction since Turner took over for Marty Schottenheimer following the 2006 season. If Turner's showing here was a bell curve, it would be one heck of a ride to the bottom.

Turner's bunch was a mess most of the year. It couldn't play special teams, the running game wasn't any better than last year, and the defense, while piling up numbers that didn't mean squat, was seldom stout when absolutely necessary.

The Chargers, remember, lost five games to teams with a combined 24-36 record: Seahawks, Rams, Raiders (twice) and Bengals. The Chargers, remember, started 2-5. The Chargers, remember, are a dismal 2-5 on the road.

Two postseason victories accompanied Turner's first year as head coach. The next year, one postseason triumph was had. Last year, zilch. This year they won't mail their RSVP to the Super Bowl tournament.

It's a team, and an organization, that needs to do some soul searching. The Chargers are pointed in the wrong direction, and someone needs to grab the steering wheel.

Maybe it's karma biting the Chargers -- that's tough to believe, but does anyone else have a better explanation than dreadful drafts and turning their nose up at impact free agents? I've got one -- if you're lucky enough to have Pro Bowlers on your roster, make sure they get signed before the season matures. Not having left tackle Marcus McNeill and wide receiver Vincent Jackson -- and trying to avoid the distractions that came with their holdouts -- was a drag.

It was like that black cloud San Diego couldn't shake last week. It was nearly all anyone talked about.

But the Chargers prefer to yap about Sunday's Meaningless Bowl. The Broncos were cooked long ago, while the Chargers are new to this burning sensation. That said, they'll play to win the game.

"We signed up for 16 of them, and the phrase the game doesn't mean anything, bothers me more than anything because it means something to play in this league,'' quarterback Philip Rivers said. "There are teams that have been playing the last four, five, six weeks without the opportunity to make the playoffs, maybe longer than that. The game means something. If we had a pickup basketball game out here, it would mean something."

We get it, but come on. After supporting four straight AFC West championship teams, Chargers fans deserve better than a team aiming to avoid its second 8-8 showing in three years.

The Chargers have been surpassed by the Chiefs. The Chargers can feel the Raiders' bad breath breathing down their necks. The Broncos are a mess, but they can't get worse, can they? So the Chargers have seen their stranglehold on the division -- and maybe the city -- lapse. They need to win their final game to match San Diego State's victory total.

Betcha didn't think you would be saying that on Dec. 28, eh Chargers boosters?

"We understand the disappointment and understand the frustration," Rivers said. "We wish we could have got it done, but we didn't."

2. Old School SD Fan

Old School SD Fan Unhappy Camper

Ratings:
    +13
    Alex Spanos' 36% is on ebay, metaphorically. Why change staff in the midst of a sale?

I get it. Dean just isn't being honest about it.

3. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    time to get back to those lower expectations folks

sad time in Bolt Land

4. turbo_turtle

turbo_turtle In Disguise

Ratings:
    +890
    My Expectations are now when the Bolts were the 1-15 team because we still have AJ Smith, Norv Turner and Steve Crosby at the top of the Front Office.

5. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036
    and our OC, whoever that is

clearance clarance shelmon

6. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,415
    so long as we have Philip Rivers 1-15 is way too pessimistic even with Norval. i'd say 8-8, 7-9 at worst.

7. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    I think he just meant that he had low expectations just like he had then, not that he actually expects them to be 1-15. But I could be wrong

8. JohnnyX

JohnnyX 2017 Chargers Head Coach

Ratings:
    +378
    What a disgusting statement.

9. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

gadzooks, Riveras defense is still the best by far in the entire nfl. Geez. Fracking wake up spanos and a.j. make Rivera head coach. Norv's a team player he'll settle for just o-coach which he can handle..

10. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,394
    Your point is valid (and likely true). Though, I'm not sure Dean is necessarily being dishonest so much as just conveniently omitting certain bits of information. It's been a pretty steady mantra from both him and AJ for quite a while. What they say is "true," but it's also intentionally ambiguous and vague.

11. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    Rivera would kick players butts. which is what the chargers players need. Chargers one big problem is conplacency.

12. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +636
    with one bad season (no playoffs) in the last 5 I'm not going to be pessimistic like some of you (or start bandwagoning other teams), granted I'm not happy and would like to see a better coach and better drafting. I'm optimistic that the following thing will happen next year

1) Special teams become average
    2) Mathews becomes a 1200 yard rusher
    3) VJ is signed at least for one year (franchise tag)
    4) Less injuries
    5) Rookies that contribute right away (at least 3 plus some second year players)
    6) 11-5, 12-4 record, AFCCG or more

13. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,415
    For all intents and purposes there's been 2 bad years since 8-8 is generally not going to get you into the playoffs.

Granted, they did beat the Colts in the playoffs.

14. Old School SD Fan

Old School SD Fan Unhappy Camper

Ratings:
    +13

Uh, you forgotten the 8-8 season in 2008? Just because we lucked into the playoffs does NOT make that a stellar season. Norv is the operator of the great San Diego Roller Coaster. Consistency is not his thing, clearly.

15. gonzokrb

gonzokrb Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +64
    One of the areas that would really help the Special Teams play would be a kicker who could get a touch back a couple of times during a game. I'm sick of watching the opponent starting a drive on the 30 yard line or better!

16. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Well, we have some extra 3rd round picks so we can trade up to get one. Hopefully he'll be white & of good character. :rolleyes:

17. Lightning

Lightning Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +37
    I find that hard to believe. They looked absolutley lost at times on defense that last game. Besides the numbers are completely misleading when on paper you have the top rated D and can't make the playoffs. Look at it this way, it's great if they could hold a team to 20 yrds but if within those 20 are three to four T.D.s then it doesn't matter what the paper says. The ravens took dilfer to a ring on defense alone, all trent had to do has take care of the ball. Rivers is a top five QB and if the D was as good on the field as they are on paper then they should be sitting on homefield advantage right now.

18. ArkansasBoltFan

ArkansasBoltFan Norv Gotta Go

Ratings:
    +0
    Not to be pessimistic, but hopefully this is the beginning of the end for the Norvell Turner Regime. His inconsistency with quality talent is aggravating beyond belief. And can we not get rid of Crosby, I mean, he hasn't signed any kind of meaty undeserved extension has he? Good lord, as a high school deep snapper, some of the things I've seen his special teamers do are just downright pitiful. With the tools that this team has, we should be talking about Super Bowls, not prospects playing in college bowls.

19. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,415
    If the other team can get 4 TDs in less than 20 yards it's hardly the fault of the defense. It's the fault of the Special Teams and/or offensive turnovers for allowing the other team that kind of field position.

20. Lightning

Ratings:
    +37
    umm, yeah, oh I forgot that everything that I say is literal to you....my bad, I also forgot that you need things explained to you in depth so here it goes, I was exaggerating the numbers for the point that their defense - no matter how good they looked on paper - was not as good as they were being perceived and that Rivera also, was not as good as the stats said because he did not have them focused enough as a unit if to take care of business not matter what the faults of the rest of the team were.

21. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,415
    and i forgot you are incapable of having a conversation without being a condescending prick.

I realze you were exaggerating. It would be some kind of insane record to get 4 tds on 20 yards, but the basic concept of my response still fits. If the other team is getting tds with little yardage they're obviously being handed great field position.

22. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    The Bolt defense is the true paper lion, just don't try and wipe with it.

23. scratchnz

scratchnz BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +91
    IF there are not significant changes to players and coaches next year and the GM...expect the status quo in 2011

24. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,415
    And for the record, I do agree the defensive ranking and stats are a bit misleading. I was simply arguing the blind notion that no playoffs = defense is not good. There are other aspects to the game than just defense. While I don't think the Chargers defense is truly a "#1 defense" (or top 5 for that matter) I can only think of three losses where the defense shares a significant portion of the blame for. (Raiders, Raiders, Bengals)

25. Lightning

Ratings:
    +37
    Hmmm, look in a mirror lately?

26. Lightning

Ratings:
    +37
    SO that's three games where the D had blown the game...right? whereas even one of those would probably have got them to the playoffs, especially if it had been the second raider game then they would have been a lock for the division....just reinforcing my statement of them being nowhere near as an elite defense as they were on paper but also the fact that if they were as good as the stats said they would have been able to overcome the other factions shortcomings.

27. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    The Bolt's scored 20 points twice in two games so far this year and they are the lowest totals of all games played thus far. I do believe it's said 17 points scored and you should win, well what the hell happened???? I know, I know it's all the special teams fault!!! Even after those blunders the offense got us back in most games, a true elite defense would have kept the other team from scoring more points causing the Bolt's to lose. So simple, care to deny??????? HAHAHAHA

28. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,415
    yep, and I do not see any of my posts belittling anybody's intelligence, save some replies to you being a *******.

29. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036
    Happy New Year Leo!

30. !~BOLT~!

!~BOLT~! Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +205
    I agree with this message.