1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Why the Bolts kept Smith and Turner

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by BoltWalt, Jul 19, 2012.

1. BoltWalt

BoltWalt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +68
    A Stunner? not if you consider that by waiting to make a coaching change until 2013 when they do move to Los Angeles then it will be seen as making a fresh start in their new home town. This sucks in that the management cares so little about the fans in San Diego that they seemingly do not want to improve at all in their final year here. Hopefully all this rhetoric is just that and the Spanos family is just posturing in an attempt to get a new stadium built in San Diego.

2. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,413
    I'm going to draw a conclusion based off nothing but my own cynical guess then I'm going to tell you why management sucks based off that baseless conclusion.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,401
    Foul air escaping a clenched sphincter.

4. BoltWalt

Ratings:
    +68
    I guess that it is good that there are still two fans in San Diego who have not given in to the inevitable that the Bolts are going north. Every once in a while I'll think to myself that the Spanos family are not the dirty rotten scoundrels that their posturing for a new stadium seems to make them out to be and that all they really want to do is to keep the team in San Diego and get a new stadium built here. I just do not want to be seen drinking that particular grape Kool Aid, if either of you two have news of the latter please share it with the local Bolt Fans.

5. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,413
    See. That's where I got you fooled. I'm not in San Diego.

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,807
    What have the Spanos' done to indicate in ANY way that they are "dirty rotten scoundrels"!?

Are you for real? Do you not keep up on the stadium issue at all?

The issue in San Diego is not that the Chargers WANT to leave, it's that the city is only now beginning to recover from years of fiscal mismanagement and governmental corruption. In short, it's about not having the money.

It cracks me up when people get all uppity and call the Spanos' selfish for not wanting to pitch in more for a new stadium. Why would any business want to pay more than their fair share? The stadium would not be owned by the team. The team would only be a tenant and the city would be making revenues off the site all year around.

Furthermore, asking for a partnership in building a new facility once every 40-50 years is not unreasonable. The Murph is falling apart and the Spanos' family has spend 10+ years working with a disfunctional local government to try and find an equitable solution. Spending millions of dollars and consistently reminding us through their words AND actions that they want to make it work HERE.

What more do you want from them?

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,413
    You're obviously drinking the Kool-Aid, Syd

8. Sydalish

Ratings:
    +1,807
    and it's delicious :x3:

9. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,401
    [​IMG]

10. _Oz

_Oz Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +31
    I don't know f the Chargers are leaving but old man
    Spanos is a dirty rotten scoundrel and it isn't just in the normal way of any parasitic NFL owner with a city full of uneducated suckers forgoing social services to pay twice out the ******* to make him wealthier than he already is.

in his former life as a slumlord, Spanos had a reputation of forcing contractors to settle for pennies on the dollar for what they were owed. He spends money on politicians and expects to get paid in return. He is not your friend and if he is, you are one extremely wealthy fellow vampire.

United Sycophants of America slurp slurp slurp gag gag slurp

11. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,072
    Spanos kept Norv because of the contract Norv has. Letting Norv go would have required that Spanos payoff Norv's contract. Spanos did not drop the required seats to be sold to lift the blackouts. That shows us that he is more worried about losing money, than putting Charger home games on every television set.

12. Sydalish

Ratings:
    +1,807
    Old Man Spanos as in Alex?

13. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,401
    If Alex was still running things, he would've sold out to AEG in a heartbeat........ take the money and run.

Dean doesn't want to sell though, he wants to pass the team on to his sons and they both grew up in San Diego. Despite the fears of many fans, Dean wants to remain in San Diego...... the problem is getting the city/county to chip in enough to get the stadium he wants. The current economic climate doesn't favor that kind of construction.

If the convention people and the stadium people could get together, we might actually get both projects done, but entrenched interests make that unlikely. A multi-use stadium could attract a lot more events besides football.

• Winner Winner x 2
  14. BoltWalt

Ratings:
    +68
    A little bit of Jerry Jones in the ability to get a stadium built.
    The problem is the guy running the convention center seems to be dead set against any such collaboration. He needs to be released from his duties at the Convention Center for any head way can be gained toward this goal.

15. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I only put idiots on ignore...

Ratings:
    +1,733
    Do you have any physical written proof that this is going to happen? Are you connected with a member of the Spanos family staff?

16. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,413
    This isn't the Sims. He can't just select an option and place the cursor over downtown San Diego and make it happen on his own.

• Like Like x 1
  17. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,072
    the last time a multi use style stadium was built here in San Diego, people now complain that some seats have obstructed views, and those tickets are now hard to sell.

18. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    I would hope that with just a little foresight in planning this could be avoided.

19. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +984
    Yeah, they have spent millions looking for solutions in San Diego because they don't really want to be there, it's all part of some master plan.

20. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,582
    [​IMG]

21. Scott the Rock

Scott the Rock BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +130
    One proving factor of how Spanos helped screw up the stadium deal in the river bottom is: He wanted rights to the real estate that was connected to the stadium. I don't blame the city (that was and still is in bad financial shape) for not just handing him the surrounding property to build apartments and commercial tenetant spaces on. Would you?

And please don't try and dig up facts trying to prove otherwise. It happened. They had a perfectly good location and plan. It got screwed up by someone wanting a little to much.

22. Scott the Rock

Scott the Rock BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +130
    :laugh:The Sims

23. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Maybe you missed it:

Chargers special counsel Mark Fabiani was asked Monday during an interview with XEPRS-AM radio in San Diego if the team plans to submit an application.
    "No. We are not planning on it, and obviously I'm not a fortune teller, I can't see into the future, but I would be very surprised if we were filing out an application a couple months from now," Fabiani said. "We're trying to get something done here in San Diego, and I'd be surprised if the result was anything other than that."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000...diego-chargers-dont-plan-to-apply-for-la-move

24. Sydalish

Ratings:
    +1,807
    IIRC the Chargers offered to pay for the close to the entire stadium cost in return for the property around the stadium. Considering the Chargers are only tenants and the city was broke that was one way to fund the project, without the city cutting a check and the Chargers making up their extra costs. I don't blame the city for not ok'ing the deal - what I blame them for was refusing to negotiate at all at the time, which was a much bigger problem imo.

• Agree Agree x 2
  25. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    The city of San Diego can foul up an anvil. If I'm not mistaken the oil storage tank farm have polluted the surrounding area and has just about rendered it useless.

26. _Oz

_Oz Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +31
    how will subsidizing billionaires help with that?

27. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    I don't recall supporting any plan "subsidizing billionaires" or anyone else for that matter. Pointing out the shortcomings of the city and the pig in the poke they're now stuck with is hardly alliance of cause on any platform.

28. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Ratings:
    +1,582
    Don't forget attention wh0re Mike Aguirre's shenanigans that effectively prevented the city from negotiating anything.

• Winner Winner x 1
  29. _Oz

_Oz Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +31
    You, Sydalish, Blue Bolt and anyone else suggesting that the city pay in any way for a stadium is arguing for subsidizing billionaires. Of course you may believe that the Chargers benefit the taxpayers of San Diego and in that case, I can see why you'd have a problem with what I said.

*edit* and that scoundrel, CBF too!

30. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Ratings:
    +1,582
    [​IMG]