1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Why the Bolts Prefer the Draw

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by ChargerRay, Oct 23, 2015.

1. ChargerRay

ChargerRay #FireMcCoy #FirePagano Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +867
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    :confused:Over react much?

Last night you said he 'took time out to write an article about the draw'. I get the frustration and the perceptions built up around Reich, but for pity sake... This was the effin press conference! This is done every effin week!

It does not cut into his coaching time, any more or less than any other week. And the assertion that PR17 now ignores the guy and just runs his own O is rampant speculation at best. Some people (understandably so) point out all PR17's gesticulations and shouts at the LOS as evidence that PR17 is ignoring Reich. Some just say 'the play worked, it is all PR17!'...

Well... PR17 is calling out the blocking assignments at the LOS as well. Each play as I understand it, multiple plays are called in for him to choose from. So what is a blocking assignment, what is using a called play, but changing from one to another, what is PR17 taking the reigns, and what is pure fan speculation? :rolleyes: Unless there is a member of the Chargers who is on this forum, I dont think anyone can speak to this with anything but a heady does of guess work. Guess away if that makes you feel better.

I get it, if a play works it is all PR17. If a play fails it is all Reich. Give you a warm fuzzy and allows you to sleep at night, no? ;)

Frankly Reich is right on with this statement. What do you find so distasteful about that?

3. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Further Ray, what you said last night, about Reich explaining why we use the draw play was off base in my opinion:
    I quote:
    Is actually the definition of the Draw play. Look it up! It is not stupid, it is what makes the draw play work.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Draw_play

http://www.sportingcharts.com/dictionary/nfl/draw-play.aspx

What I have seen people call a draw is a delayed hand-off. If the OL is not pass blocking, it is NOT a draw play. Our OL is MUCH more efficient at pass blocking than run blocking. Ergo, the Draw play IS a play we need to try and use. A run from the shotgun is not a draw play, unless the OL is in Pass protection. If the OL is moving downfield to hit someone that is not pass protection, unless they are looking for an illegal man downfield penalty.

Here is a video of an NFL draw play done well.

You will notice the lanes open up.

Now what I see when the Chargers run it is a congestion at the LOS. That is where it is failing. However, what is your answer? Help 'stupid' Reich out. Do we go ultra one dimension and stop running (be it draw or delayed hand-off, which are not the same thing) or do we continue to try and establish a run to allow the O to become balanced and more effective?

Well Ray? What do we do?

Because throwing 80% - 90% of the time is a losing proposition.

In short, you are welcome to your critique and opinion of Reich, but in this matter it is far more sour grapes than actual facts.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2015
  4. ChargerRay

Ratings:
    +867

I was saying that the Chargers (not Reich) took the time to write the article to defend Reich and his uncreative draw plays.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Ok, my mistake. But they have people who are payed to try and polish the turds... ;)

6. ChargerRay

Ratings:
    +867
    Dude, Delayed hand off, draw, it all comes from the same damn shotgun formation and it's not working. Bottom line is Reich is failing at establishing a running game. He wants balance, but yet can't adapt to better use his RB's.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Explain how Reich is failing. So as I see it you are frustrated with Reich for calling run plays, while expressing frustration for him not establishing the run. Is that accurate?

Should he be out blocking for the linemen?

How would you establish a run game with the personnel we have?

Are you suggesting there is a play that is not being used? What is it?

8. ChargerRay

Ratings:
    +867
    I don't know, I'm not an OC. But if I pretended, I'd line Rivers under center like he used to, have a blocking tight end, lead blocker and run off tackle. Run some counters. Do the opposite of what hasn't been working.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. JohnnyX

JohnnyX 2017 Chargers Head Coach

Ratings:
    +377
    Well for starters if something isn't working you change things. Maybe the reason the draw play is reused as often as it is is because it's the only play are banged up line is good in. In other words until better talent arrives or new OC we'll keep our draws clean.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Ok, what you have said HAS been tried and hasn't worked because there are no holes. Whats next. BTW, BoltTalk would crush you on their podcast for calling that play! ;)

Ray, we cant stop trying to run the ball. If we do we are sunk. We got to keep try and the draw is an effective play if the OL can open holes. I agree, we have to try different things and MG28, DW39 and BO43 have to bounce it out if there are no holes. But it is NOT the draw that is not creating the holes, it is this poor run blocking OL.

Thats my opinion, we can agree to disagree and you are still my Bolt Brutha, so there!

11. House of Hayne

House of Hayne Chargers Smash

Ratings:
    +204
    Ray just wants different run plays to be called like I don't know OFF TACKLE OR
    OUTSIDE
    RUN OUTSIDE OF THE THREE BIG DUDES IN THE MIDDLE
    can't make it any clearer than that
    pull a G if it's some way the OC feels better about 28 running near him

12. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    How do you pull a guard f they are tied up in the interior of the play?

That is my point. It is easy to say 'I want better run plays' but really what we are saying is 'I want a run play that works when that one didn't'. There is far more wrong with the run game than running outside (which I want to see more of as well) or not running a delay, draw or shotgun run. Far more.

You would think hat our pass happy O would HAVE to set up the run. It doesn't, why?