1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Why the CHARGERS are YOUR team.

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by BOLTS4LIFE, Jan 17, 2008.

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Oct 13, 2006
    Being born and raised in Baltimore, MD... I was too young to enjoy the Johnny Unitas days. Sure I liked the Colts but wasn't sure why since Bob Irsay took them over and drove them into the ground.

All the Baltimore fans hated Irsay with good reason. At this time, I was just a child. Though some of their fans followed the Chargers to see how Johnny was doing (classic he was)!!!!!

I was brought to a Colts game at the Memorial Stadium around age 10 against the Dolphins. All I remember is that the Colts looked pathetic with Bert Jones as their QB. It was snowing and all I heard was boos. It was still a great experience.

I saw my first Monday nighter a few weeks later (at age 10, I was allowed to stay up late considering the kick off was at 9:00). It was Chargers vs. Bronkos at Jack Murphy Stadium. I loved all the Lightning images. I also loved watching Dan Fouts, Charlie Joiner, John Jefferson, Chuck Muncie kicking serious ***!!!

After that, I saw several Chargers games on TV and wanted them to win a Super Bowl so badly!! They ALWAYS made the AFC Championship but couldn't win it.

A few seasons later, my father took me to a Baltimore Colts/ Chargers game at Memorial Stadium. I was wearing a Colts sweat shirt but I was cheering for the Chargers. Needless to say, the Chargers won and I was happy!!!

Then the Colts moved out of Baltimore. I STILL hate them to this day and so does the entire city!! :icon_evil:
    At age 12, I saw my uncle get married in Santa Barbra.
    I visited San Diego in 94 with my fiance (at the time) and saw the Chargers waste the Quiefs in the view section!!! This was my first time seeing live football in years and forgot how cool it was!!!

With all of that said... The Ravens were cool but I couldn't cheer for them over the Chargers.
    I like them today but if they're are the opposite side line of the Chargers, THEY'RE JUST ANOTHER OPPONENT!!!! :yes: :bolt:
  2. BoltzRule

BoltzRule Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2006
    Born and raised in SD. I guess it was just because they were on all the time and the 94 SB run didn't hurt, even though I wasn't a hardcore fan yet (too young). I grew up watching the ****** years (the great defense being the only bright spot), but now it's starting to pay off, and it wasn't easy because all my cousins would tease my brother and I for being Charger fans (Cousins were Niner, Bears and a Raider fan:tdown:). I just can't imagine rooting for any other team.
  3. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Mar 5, 2006
    So the Chargers are "my" team because you grew up in Baltmore?
  4. !~BOLT~!

!~BOLT~! Well-Known Member

Oct 2, 2006
    Lol Conc!

I was born in San Diego, my dad would take us to many padre/ charger games from 79'-90. My dad wired a few of thier homes, and took me along. (I think I was 6-7) I was in awe of the size of these guys, I remember having lunch with Louie Kelcher and his hands reminded me of the rock creature on The Neverending Story. His lunch took up the table, and his drink was a pitcher. We tailgated a few times every year, and it seemed each time my parents and thier friends were harrassed by sdpd.

Fast forward to 91' I move to Oregon, miss the hell out of SD. Took my team with me and refused to root for anyone but. In 92' at a Bend Bucks game we spotted Fouts watching the game, my dad and I approached him and he remembered my dad from SD. I ended up playing against his son a few years as he went to Sisters high, which is where Fouts lives today. I have also seen Dan at local places like the movie theatre. Anyways, I guess the bolt has always just been a symbol of home being where the heart is for me, and I am a very devoted fan because of it.
  5. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Sep 8, 2006
    Because my birth certificate says "Chula Vista, CA" :bolt:
  6. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Aug 3, 2006
    I went to the first game they ever played here. I grew into pro football wilth Tobin Rote, Paul Lowe, Keith Lincoln, Lance Allworth and guys like Ernie Ladd and Chuck Allen. Learned to be a Chargers fan the same way I learned to make awesome spaghetti sauce. It was all in the air I breathed.
  7. Fouts

Fouts I heart Deano!

Aug 17, 2007
    Born and Raised in San Diego, my parents were season ticket holders during the "Fouts" era... I was lucky to go to a game or two once a year... I was at the game when Wes Chandler ran into the goal post, and got knocked out... I remember as a kid, everyone smoked cigarrettes in the stands... :no: I once saw Charlie Joiner at the SD airport with my father, he said "hi Charlie," whom smiled back and waved hello... I was about 10...

FOUTS :bolt:

TJBOLT Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2006
    Born in Chula Vista and Raised in Tijuana enough said
  9. cranberry

cranberry BoltTalker

Oct 3, 2006
    My younger brother Markus often played with the neighbor kids from an american army family. He liked to play basketball and watch US TV series. He managed to get us an adapter for our TV to receive American Forces Radio TV. He got interested in american sports
    he influenced me and we together followed the 1978 SB XIII
    Pittsburgh win vs. Cowboys. I remember we started a sylvester rocket after the game.
    Next season I followed the season. The game were televised 3 week later on Sunday afternoons. I liked the air-Coryell founded play of the Chargers and the stuffy lightning sign. The Bolts finally entered
    4 Playoff seasons with heartbreaking losses, and I never choose another team as my favourite. In 1980 the radio announcer asked
    for buying the programmbook of the coming Superbowl (4 weeks before the teams were known) Hoping my Chargers will get the edge I put some green notes in a envelope to US. Three days before the BIG SUNDAY I got a picture book with Jim Plunkett instead of Dan Fouts. I never stopped hating those silver-black Raiders .
    So now I'm a far away diehard fan, hardly waiting for a ring on LT's
    finger. He deservers it.
  10. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Aug 20, 2006
    Because I was good at making one-handed catches in the endzone. :bolt::icon_party:
  11. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2006
    Born in Oceanside.

My first game was in 1965 and dad said watch Lance Alworth so I did.

When Harland Svare took over in the 70's, I lost almost all interest in the Bolts and chased tail. :lol:

When Don Coryell was hired, I wet myself. :abq2:

We used to go to the stadium in the 60's to watch Coryell, who then coached the San Diego State Aztecs, throw the ball with Brian Sipe (ex-Browns QB). The college games were way different than the pro games and they still are and I am speaking about the crowds and what we were up to. Back then, we would walk in carrying jugs of just about anything you could think of to drink. In a pinch, we would hit up a 7/11 and buy a plastic jug of some cheap *** fruit drink and then empty about half of it out and then add Southern Comfort or whatever :lol:

If we wanted beer, we poured out the fruit drink or milk and then added beer. One gallon of beer will do a couple of brothers well for one quarter of football. :icon_toast:

Then we had the all night tailgaters before that was banned. Wooohooo.... :icon_toast:
  12. Showmeyourbolt

Showmeyourbolt Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2007
    Simple, born and raised in SoCal, and my family has always been Chargers fans, so it was only natural that I was one too.
  13. chargerlipz

chargerlipz Leading the league in nose hairs.

Mar 28, 2007
    Born in Northern Cal, but raised in SD. Entire family is Charger fans except my half brother who was raised in Santa Rosa. He's a raider fan. Needless to say when he came to visit my dad made him sleep in a cage.
  14. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Jan 19, 2006
    because I'm from San Diego
  15. LTisCool

LTisCool BoltTalker

Dec 2, 2006
    I originally came from Liverpool, England (Fairfield, if anyone is familiar with the neighborhood) and in my family and a lot of the families I knew - in sports you support a local team. So I chose one of the 3 Liverpool soccer teams to support (well, I didn't so much choose it as it was forced upon me... oh and it's Everton if you were wondering).

Then we moved to San Diego, and supported the local team ever since.
  16. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Mar 13, 2006
    because my dad (Rams fan) was stationed in San Diego when I was a kid and I wanted to be different. (Mom was a Raiders fan :eek: )

It was the year before they signed Jim McMahon
  17. blitznd33

blitznd33 BoltTalker

Oct 9, 2005
    Born and raised in San Diego but the thing that got me hooked was watching "Double J" make plays.
  18. auctoritas

auctoritas BoltTalker

Dec 17, 2006
    I was born into it...
  19. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Stan "The Man" and Boss Ross. :tup:

Living in VA, saw a LOT of Redskins games. I really liked Humphries, had no team at the time, and Ross is a local boy (Richmond). Just stuck around until it became an addiction. :yes:

"It's an obsession but I like it" Grateful Dead
  20. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2005
    In September 1961, the Chargers were the only show in town.
  21. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Aug 3, 2006
    60-0 over Miss. State. Wooohooo. Never had so much fun at a game in my life, accept one.
  22. Thread_Killer

Thread_Killer Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2006
    I am somewhat of a bandwagon fan. Growing up in Orange County in the early 70’s, I got interested in the NFL by watching the Los Angeles Rams high-powered vertical offense, with John Hadl throwing to Harold Jackson, Jack Snow, and Ron Jessie. It was really exciting and I became a diehard Rams fan at age 9.

But soon thereafter, the Rams became the dullest “good” team in the league, running the ball with Lawrence McCutcheon and John Cappeletti, every game was like 13-10. So I pretty much lost interest in the NFL for a few years, and chased tail like Trumpy. (With considerable success, truth be told. ) :yes:

But I got hooked again in the late 70’s with Air Coryell, the wide-open style reminded me of the Rams in the Hadl years. The Chargers quickly became my favorite team, and being much older I stuck with the team during the lean years, reading Forrest Overin articles in Chargers Football Weekly, attending my first game at Jack Murphy during the Jim McMahon era (we played Philly, won in the last minute when Chris Bahr missed a field goal, but a false start moved us back 5 yards and resulted in a successful re-kick)….

…looking back, us Charger fans sure have suffered through some crappy seasons, but the success we are enjoying now has made it all worth it.

23. LV Bolt Fan

LV Bolt Fan Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Born in Laguna Beach because of the USMC, raised in San Diego area.

Attended my first Charger game in 1972 against the Dolphins.
    My mom and I had season tickets from the late 70's to the mid 80's.
    Now that I'm "all" grown up :icon_tease:, I have my own season tickets.
  24. Kwak

Kwak ....

May 25, 2006
    San Diego - 1971- Xmas. Got a Chargers letterman jacket with the old school logo. [​IMG]

Done deal.
  25. 17Rocks

17Rocks Well-Known Member

May 12, 2006
    In the late 70's in my home town in VA I played on a youth league team called the chargers (There was Peewee, midgette and bantam leagues, we were in the midgette league)

we went undefeated that year and gve up only 6 points on the whole year. we stomped our rivals the steelers that year, the same year the real Chargers beat the steelers. Don Coryel wrote our team a congratulatory letter that was read by our coach at the awards banquet at the end of the season.

I didn't get much of a chance to see games as they always televised redskins games (GAG!!!!):icon_evil: but I did get to see some (like the miamplayoff game) I quickly got hooked on Air Coryel and have been a hopeless fan ever since...