1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Why the Chargers will not get over the Hump this Season

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Concudan, May 23, 2007.

1. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    One of the more interesting storylines of the 2007 season will be whether the San Diego Chargers can take the elusive next step that was never realized under the Marty Ball era. Simply put, can the San Diego Chargers advance to their first Super Bowl since the 1994 season?

On the surface, it would appear there would be nothing stopping them. They went 14-2 during the last regular season. The Chargers lost by 3 points at Baltimore and at Kansas City. Their home playoff loss was to the respected New England Patriots, again by 3 points. LaDainian Tomlinson is the best player in the NFL and in his prime. The Chargers have a core of young talent on the rise. Life would appear to be good for the San Diego Chargers.

However, I do not believe the San Diego Chargers will advance any further than the last 3 seasons, which has produced 0 playoff wins. Here are 5 reasons why I believe the Chargers will fall short again in 2007.

1) Too much coaching turnover - I know that teams have survived coaching changes before. Probably the best example was the San Francisco 49ers. Bill Walsh retired after a 10-6 season and the 1988 Super Bowl victory. Enter George Seifert, a 14-2 season in 1989, and another ring. The difference was that George Seifert was the defensive coordinator on the 49ers the year before. Most of the staff remained in tact after Bill Walsh left. Plus, that was a veteran squad that had been playoff tested over the previous 5 seasons. The Chargers have yet to win a playoff game with this group.

Say what you want about Marty Schottenheimer, but the guy has won wherever he has gone over the last 25 years. The only knock on his great coaching resume is that the post season has overwhelmed him. However, he has eleven 10 win seasons in his coaching career. Norv Turner has won 10 games in a season once. Plus Cam Cameron and Wade Phillips, last years offensive and defensive coordinators are gone. Norv Turner has not proven to be a good head coach. I think the coaching staff is clearly inferior to last year's coaching staff. I believe this decrease in coaching talent will be reflected in the 2007 record.

2) Failure to address the Wide Receiver Position - I understand the Chargers picked receiver Craig Davis in the first round. But receivers usually don't make a huge impact until their second or usually third year in the league. Jerry Rice didn't reach 1000 yards his rookie season. Marvin Harrison took 4 seasons to break 1000 yards. Chad Johnson didn't get 1000 yards his rookie season. Even Torry Holt didn't have 1000 yards receiving in the Greatest Show on Turf his rookie season.

I might have forgotten one, but the only rookie receivers since 1995 that I can think of with 1000 yard seasons in their rookie years are Anquan Boldin, Joey Galloway, Terry Glenn, and Randy Moss. Of those four, only Moss had more than 10 touchdown catches. The Chargers best wide receiver last year was probably Eric Parker, who led the wide receivers with 48 catches and 649 yards. He had no touchdowns. While it's great to go to Tomlinson and Gates every time, you need a receiver that the defense at least has to respect. I just don't see how a rookie at the end of round one is going to be expected to scare defenses this season.

Full Article

2. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    I see the point of this article. But in week 13 they were saying Indy couldnt make the Superbowl because jacksonville and other teams were abusing their run defense.

Well seems to me the Colts were hoistin a trophy...

3. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +636
    This is a "worst case scenario" column,

first: It says that a reciever takes 3-4 years to develope, well, Vincent Jackson will go into he's third year.

second: It assumes a drastic decline in play for LT (28 rushing TD's to 14) as well as a decline in Rivers' play (9 int's to 15).

third: It doesn't take into account the possible (and likely) development of youg players, but it does take into account the emergence of Jay Cutler

So in essence, it says what could go wrong, but not what could go right (which I think is more probable), I'm not saying another 14-2 season, but a 12-4, 11-5 season, a AFC west championship and a good playoff run is certainly obtainable

4. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    We are being underestimated again. I still like opening against the Bears and the Pats. The Pats will be cocky and the Chargers are pissed. We get them when the weather is nice, too. The Bears will be the Bears.

5. Retired Catholic

Ratings:
    +347
    Oh, yeah, I almost forgot. Fox thinks the surge is working.

6. exodus

exodus Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +133
    His logic is retarded. He's prolly a Lions fan and thinks multiple 1,000 yard recievers are what championship teams are built on. What a dork. Anybody can write an article and be like "Indy is doomed because Peyton Manning will dislocate his arm in the preseason and they have no real backup and expect Adai to stumble out of the gate blah blah blah"

7. 17Rocks

17Rocks Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +135
    Point 1 - I don't know if I would say "clearly inferior" when comparing this years coaching staff to last year, but I am worried a little about Norv's prior record as HC and the simple fact that the Coordinator staff has been literally cleaned out. Bradley should be an upgrade for the defensive backs and Rivera is no slouch either. Pagano and Nunnely will remain (good news) and Cottrell has already said that the defense will change very littlle (if they rip the section on prevent defense out of the playbook I will be ecstatic)

I am not sure how involved with the nuts and bolts of the offense Norv will be but the players are familiar with shelmon, Ramsdell is still there (this goes towards answering point 5 as well) Hunter and Henry are still with the team as well as Lofton. That leaves a question mark (for me at least) at tight ends and runing backs.

I would have completely agreed with this guy, however, had he spent this entire point on wondering how in the hell Steve Crosby kept his job!:icon_evil:

Point 2 - I absolutely love the fact that this guy (and hopefully most of the league) completely overlooked Vincent Jackson on this point. He questions the selection of Davis and points out that most receivers don't break out until their third year or so... nudge, nudge, wink, wink... a nod is as good as a wink to a blind man...

Point 3 - Let me just say this: I don't expect LT to score 30 tds this year. I don't expect he will have to.

Point 4 - This is the one point I will not argue with. The schedule this upcoming season is a grinder. 10-6 will be great:yes: , no first round bye will also be great.:yes:

Point 5 - I have only one thing to say on this point:

............................................................. PFFFFT!

• Like Like x 1
  8. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    One of the comments at the bottom.

I don't know. This is still the same team that was essentially 12 points away from heading into the AFC Championship game at 17-0. They lost two road games to AFC playoff teams by 3 and then to the Pats by 3. It was a bit of a choke job which Marty is known for.

I'm more leery of Cutler's development than how Rivers will progress. He has much better surrounding talent on offense. I don't see San Diego worse than 5-1 in this division.

Their reaches on draft day were puzzling, but sometimes those things pan out. Who knows, perhaps Craig Davis does have a productive rookie season. He doesn't need 1,000 yards to be a nice complementary piece on this offense. It runs through 1) LT 2) Gates 3) whoever else.

I'm underwhelmed with the cast of clowns New England brought in at WR. Indy lost some talent on defense and depending on the playoff matchups it could be San Diego in XLII.

9. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554

I don't get the "tough schedule" knock. When you look at the SOS, it's about the same as last year and pretty much middle of the road for the league. There is absolutely no freaking way in hell that we will go 10-6 this year. 12-4 is the worst case scenario.

10. Electric Chair

Electric Chair Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +579
    You know what they say about opinions.

11. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Do tell...

12. ntman68

ntman68 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +139
    1) I agree. I was disappointed with the coaching changes and I have never viewed Norv Turner as a "must have" coach. Time will tell.

2) Meh. I think the author is truly discounting Floyd and Jackson. Much like the Chargers themselves, these young guys have yet to prove themselves, but it seems irrational to say the Chargers need to rely on Davis day one.

3) Maybe. I agree that seasons like that are very rare, but a 50% drop-off seems a bit extreme.

4) Agreed. This seasons schedule is pretty rough, but I like it that way. If the Chargers are as good as we/they claim, this is exactly the type of schedule that will prove it.

5) The author shows his bias here. Expecting a major drop in yards and increase in interceptions, even though Rivers has more offensive weapons than ever and the same terrific line to protect him? And in the same breath hinting that Cutler's "development" could unseat the Chargers?

I was with him till #5... Me thinks me smells a rat.

13. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    All Charger fans should watch the Bengals game again. Floyd was huge in that game and showed he is going to be a star. I think the same of VJ.:tup:

14. Electric Chair

Electric Chair Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +579
    They are like bung-holes, everyone has one.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Monkeybacon

Monkeybacon BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +21
    Jay Cutler Sucks Balls. Donks will be 8-8. F this guys opinions. What the hell does a regular season schedule have to do with winning a superbowl. Does he think the bolts won't make the playoffs? What a nob.

Where's the Greg Oden/Blazers thread?

• Like Like x 1
  16. Retired Catholic

Ratings:
    +347
    The more I think about this more the more I like it. I hope it gets posted in the Pats locker room. I hope the sports columnists in New England give this some prominent play in the papers. I hope the radio talk show guys on the east coast talk it up. I hope NFL Live mentions this time and time again. I hope Jim Rome adopts this as an article of faith. I hope Norv Turner sand bags them in the exhibition games, expressing his concern for the upcoming season, so the sports writers all over America wring their hands about the Chargers' crisis of confidence. I hope this attitude seeps into their collective minds-right up until it's time to tee up the ball for the first time in the regular season

:yes:

17. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    This would be funny if it weren't so true & so sad. :icon_sad:

I believe nothing that comes from any Faux news desk, sports or otherwise.

Heading out to work so don't have time to debate each point. Let me just say this:

Neither Cam nor Wade have exactly a stellar record as HC's. I think we retained the necessary continuity re: coaching staff & upgraded in certain areas.

Davis doesn't have to be an immediate star. Ever heard of Vincent Jackson & Malcolm Floyd.

LT will be....LT. "Nuf said.

Let's see what the pundits have to say after we hand da Bears & Pats their asses.

Faux news, indeed!! :lol:

18. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    Who knows what's going to happen. :icon_shrug: :icon_huh: