1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Why the negativity is stronger now than in the worst days.

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by BOLTS4LIFE, Oct 7, 2009.

1. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    As I mentioned, I couldn't view the chat in tonight's podcast but I listened to it. I heard everybody's calls.

Something that Sydalish had mentioned is that we'd had worse times such as the Leaf era, Saunders, Henning, etc. Difference... we knew we were in for s*it seasons, so there wasn't and disappointment.

We didn't expect to start at 4-8 last season.
    We didn't expect to have the worst Defense and running game this season.
    Starting out 2-2 isn't that bad, it's the way the team has played. If the Steelers beat us but we saw our defense putting in an all out effort, the negativity would be there. It would have helped in we scored something in the first half too.
    Against the Ravens, we missed some major opportunities and could have won.
    We barely escaped a loss in Oakland and we have Russell to thank there.

Yes, we've had worse days but IMO, seeing a great team regress to a horrible team is much worse.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Holy_Bolt

Holy_Bolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +362
    Expectations at the start of the season sets up the whole year. I had and still have high expectations for the Bolts. I'm not giving up yet. With that said, with high expectations, I expect consequences for not performing even close to their potential. The only consequences are in the loss column. Why are we not benching players, letting bench warmers see more action?

I watch every Padre game that is broadcast on the MLB package. I enjoyed watching them this year...why? Well, they were not in last place, then did not lose more than 99 games (which was their lose record last year) and they played very well the last two months of the season...they made changes. Now, the changes they made will not get them to the playoffs, but at least the management team did what they could with what they had...in this case the owner is the problem.

In the bolts case, they seem to stick to the same script, hoping for different results. :scream:

3. reddenedbeard

reddenedbeard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +112
    Misery loves company .. you should be rejoicing about now.

4. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    Maybe it's just me, but I seem to remember more than just sweetness and light in past years, including last season. We can be expected to be upset as fans, in view of the press the Chargers got, essentially the anointed us pre season. Despite their protestations, it would appear to me that the players were listening to their reviews as well. The tell is that a number of people, players and others, are saying they aren't as good as people said they were. I expect some of the flak from the press to get worse, since we've made them look foolish with our less than stellar start. Nothing as bitter as a jilted lover.

5. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,807
    If you're ready to slit your wrists anytime your team struggles to meet your lofty expectations what's the point in being a fan?

My point wasn't that we have no reason to be dissappointed or upset - my point was that being a fan isn't about just enjoying the good times. It's about weathering the bad times too, even when they're unexpected. For all the bad things going on in Chargerland right now there is a hell of a lot of great things too. Our problems are not insurrmountable.

I know it's scary when something you've wanted for so long seems like it's slipping away but the villagers need to put down their torches and get a grip or go find another bandwagon to burn.

6. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

Huh?!!! :icon_huh:

I didn't think this post would be so hard to understand.

7. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

OK, some of you are just plain weird.
    I think that pretty much everybody here has stuck with their team through the bad times. I remember the days of Raiders games being outnumbered, called every name in the book, having beer splashed on me, and sometimes having strong concerns about literally getting jumped in the parking lot just for supporting my team.
    Still I attended the games to support my team. Many other posters in here went through that too. So don't pull that bandwagoner crap!!!

8. Showmeyourbolt

Showmeyourbolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +192

Exactly.

People expect a Superbowl from this bunch, and anything less than that is a massive disappointment. I know I get real ****ing frustrated when I have to come to grips with the fact that we're simply not good enough up front to reach those goals.

Back in the **** years things were different. I treated each game like a party, and each win was a pleasant surprise. If we continue to look mediocre then I'll eventually regress back into that mindset of simply enjoying the game and not worrying about wins or losses, but I'd prefer not to have to.

9. Showmeyourbolt

Showmeyourbolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +192

No thanks. I've been on this bandwagon for a long *** time and have spent thousands of dollars on this team. Getting pissed about a horrible performance and posting about it on a message board doesn't disqualify you as a fan.

10. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    I didn't see Syd name you personally, Alan. I think that she was referring to a more general population of Chicken Littles - not you or necessarily here at BT.

It isn't always about you. Sorry for your disappointment.

11. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    I blame the media and the "experts" for working up the San Diego/NFL fan. Everyone picked us to win the superbowl even though we were 8-8 last year and made no real moves to improve. Everyone expected LT to return to his old form and Merriman to be the "lights out" of old. Most people bought into the hype. It reminds me of when we drafted Leaf and how he was the Messiah and savior of our team. We all know how that turned out. If everyone looked at this team objectively they would realize that we are not the juggernaut that the media made us out to be. Maybe the fans themselves have to share the blame for believing the media hype.

12. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,072
    And coming off the few years before in which we had 8 (EIGHT) Pro Bowlers, and most of them had returned, one would think we had a chance.

13. Sydalish

Ratings:
    +1,807
    THANK YOU. Someone who gets it.

If you're not acting like a fool ready to give up on the Bolts right now, then I'm not talking about you.

14. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    The negativity was at its lowest during the Harland Svare era (early 70's). That was pain.

Watching us lose to the Oilers live here at home in the playoffs and the Oilers were missing Dan Pastorini & Earl Campbell and a WR ... Talk about negativity? Those were some good old days.

15. Ray Dahayder

Ray Dahayder BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +33
    Even since marty was here, and during the 14-2 season, it seems like this team has always been more hype than production. It's NEVER been consistent. Yeah, you're going to lose games once in a while, but it's not like we lost close games because of a bad break or just getting beat. We have been a roller coaster team since AJ took over (and even before). And I don't mean to make that sound like it's AJ's fault. I'm just using the last 5 years as a measure.

If we have a mediocre team, then I want to know it's mediocre and then we can expect mediocrity. But, we've been shown this 'great' team and had that expectation rammed down our necks and it's never really panned out. A few playoff wins is nice, but we're inconsistent..... consistently.

A coach that can get them playing consistent would be a wonderful thing.

16. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +2,072
    the Kevin Gilbride and Mike Riley years were not that far off from the Harland Svare reign of terror.

17. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    Our good friend Bobby Bethard also caused some grief. :lol:

18. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    As I said "many other posters in here went through that too." ei: I don't believe that there are any band wagoners in here. Also, if you are disappointed with the regression of this team, that does not make you a band wagoner.

This is not rocket science.

19. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    Very Well Said!!
    :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Not to mention, no Super Bowl will make this era possibly the biggest wasted era in NFL history. All that talent and can't do s*it!!!

20. BoltFanDC

BoltFanDC Mufflers Are Overrated

Ratings:
    +329
    Yes, but at least we did win a few games before he went soft in the head... :yes:

21. BoltFanDC

BoltFanDC Mufflers Are Overrated

Ratings:
    +329
    Did you HAVE to go bring up those two?! Oy vey. :no:

22. Sydalish

Ratings:
    +1,807
    Apparently it's rocket science to you b/c I didn't say that. When you've learned to read AND comprehend what you just read it'll make more sense to you.

23. Osmekaman

Osmekaman BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +31
    When you've been waiting your whole adult life for something (a SD SB win)....

You WANT to believe that we are the most talented.
    You WANT to believe the players are more focussed this season.
    You WANT to believe the Norvanator has finally learned to be a HC and not a laid back OC.
    You WANT to believe that great players can go on for ever JW, LT
    You WANT to believe rookies can come in and play like vets straight away.

When all you want for gets cruelly exposed as a sham so early in the season, it's so easy to lose faith and think that another year bites the dust.

The only thing that is keeping me sane is that we DID rebound from the Vikings debacle and we can rebound from this one. :bolt:

24. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +2,072
    But Bobby got us to a Super Bowl, isnt that how we judge people around here?

25. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +2,072
    So we must enjoy what we have, the past was even worse.

26. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    BOTTOM LINE... Nobody in here is like that! It doesn't matter if you've been a fan for 10 seasons or one season... we ALL have a reason to be disgusted!

If we fought hard but the Steelers just out played us, you'd have a point but that's not what happened!

27. LaDeezie21

LaDeezie21 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +82
    I REMEMBER THOSE DAYS DUDE!!! Oh man. that brought back some bad memories.

With that said, yeah we expect more out of our team.

I think that the fact that we as fans endured such bad times is one if not the MAIN reason we are upset that the team sucks now. we DON'T want to go through that again. I think that all those who preach "patience" have not been on board long enough to have been laughed at, poured on and just simply ridiculed.

Being at the bottom isn't pleasant.

28. LaDeezie21

LaDeezie21 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +82
    I think we can but only if AJ makes some moves to strengthen the defensive line. Watching that Pittburgh game was awfully painful. That D-line was being pushed around like nothing.

29. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    Well said!!!! :tup:

30. Sydalish

Ratings:
    +1,807
    Don't put words in my mouth.

YOU came here and started this thread based on comments I made during the podcast about the nasty and downright hateful things bandwagon fans have been saying directly to and about Charger players ad nauseum.

This was my response...

BOTTOM LINE: I never said you or anyone else here was a bandwagon fan - I never said fans have no reason to be upset about the state of our team - I never said we played well in the Steelers game.

Stop being a ****ing tool and accusing me of things I never did or said.