1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Why these names arent being mentioned is beyond me?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by LT-Express, Feb 15, 2007.

1. LT-Express

LT-Express Bolttalk.com Janitor since 06' Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +434
    I am still surprised to not see Norm Chow as a candidate for the HC in San Diego! Also I would love to see although would not likely ever happen but another name to cross my mind is Urban Meyer.....He has been a winner at every level, although not likely to leave a secure job at Florida but would be a god in the SD!

2. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    Norm Chow - I'm surprised as well, might be inexperience, might have same problem that Norv Turner does. Either way I don't have any good reasons why he's not in this

Urban Meyer - pete carroll florida version

3. LT-Express

Ratings:
    +434
    see I disagree Pete Carroll was granted the gift of being at USC with Reggie Bush and Carson Palmer and Matt Leinart and Mike Williams and Keary Colbert...etc! Urban Meyer took Utah to a BCS win at Utah for gods sakes and took Florida to a title with a team that played the hardest schedule in the country and was not supposed to be there according to most and not only won the title but flat out embarrased Ohio St in the National Championship!

4. Thunderstruck

Thunderstruck BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +272
    Well...he was a great college coordinator who still hasn't proven himself as a coordinator in the NFL. If it wasn't for VY's feet this would have been the second year in a row that Chow's offense was one of the worst in the league. Now, in fairness, he hasnt exactly had the '94 49ers roster to work with but still...no head coaching experience and no measureable success as a coordinator in the NFL. In other words, he's all name no game so far.

5. Boltjolt

Boltjolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402
    You dont seee them mentioned because AJ and Dean didnt want to talk to them so why discuss them?

6. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,424
    I think it's Dean and AJ who he is stating that he's suprised is not mentioning them.

7. LT-Express

Ratings:
    +434
    Because I would fell a whole hell of alot better having one of them then friggin Norv Turner wouldnt you? And if you read the title right it says why these name arent being metioned is beyond me, its a question saying what is the reasoning why they wouldnt at least talk to them.....

8. LT-Express

Ratings:
    +434
    Which is what I am saying thanks leo for the clarification!

9. Shamrock

Shamrock Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,243
    Yes.

But I'd feel a lot better with Mike Singletary, Rex Ryan, or Ron Rivera than Norm Chow or Urban Meyer.

10. Boltjolt

Boltjolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402

In that case, im not surprised.

11. LT-Express

Ratings:
    +434

Agreed so would I, I am just wondering why we are wasting time with peeps like Norv Turner for a team that is already pre built to win, this isnt about experience anymore this team is already built to make a super bowl run and we need a winner...There is a huge difference between having alot of experience and being a winner I will take a coach who is a winner over a coach with tons of experience! Singletary would bring a very mean attitude to this team and I cant even fathom putting more of an attitude into guys like Merriman, McCree, Olshansky, Castillo etc! I like Singletary and am pulling for him just interested as to why we havent heard names come up for these guys!

12. Shamrock

Shamrock Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,243
    Here's another "conspiracy" theory that I actually liked reading (from a poster at another forum):

I disagree about "view on possible OC's" because I think Shelmon is a fine coach who will do well as our OC.

I do agree that Dean and AJ could have "used" Norv to find out more about Singletary's responsibilites and development as a coach in San Francisco.

Norv is the one "bad egg" in the bunch. He's the only offensive guy.

I do like that all the candidates have Super Bowl rings as either a player or assistant coach.

13. Daddy_O

Daddy_O Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +300
    Nice. Now we have a regular mystery story here. Life really is stranger than fiction.

Excellent theory. Norv running offence, Singletary keeping an edge on life as HC, and Cotrell as DC. Now put Ryan in place of Singletary, and there you have it. A dynasty.

Guiness! Brilliant!:icon_toast:

For some reason, Rex just seems right. His qualifications, the Santa belly, the experience, the pedigree. It's all there.

• Like Like x 1
  14. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    Jimmy Johnson, who advises the Spanoses, says that, with the way the NFL is today, a team should not hire an HC from college unless he's been at least a coordinator at the pro level. I think AJ and Deano agree with this philosophy. Too many college coaches have failed in the NFL the last few years.

I say no thanks on Urban Meyer. As for Norm Chow, I guess the guy just doesn't have the "it" teams are looking for when hiring an HC. I've heard rumors that he's a pretty lousy interview.

15. PhillyChargerFan

PhillyChargerFan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +288
    Wait a minute, what NFL team did Jimmy coordinate for? :icon_shrug:

16. PhilipRivers#1

PhilipRivers#1 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +464
    We could have had the first asian head coach. :yes: :tup:

17. reef shark

reef shark BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +49
    why couldnt Lofton coach? i know he hasnt even been a coordinator but he did interview for a HC position. sure it was with the faiders, but what im sayin is, the players wont have to adjust or get used to some new guy. plus they respect him as a coach and a former player. what else does the team need?

18. MadMike

MadMike Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +504
    My preference would be to get Norm Chow in as head coach and if we can swing Mike Singletary from the 49ers as a DC (We may have to give them some money), otherwise let Wayne Nunnely handle the D. Chow and Rivers have a great connection and I think he could be the one to push Rivers into major stardom, Nunnely or Singletary can handle the D and keep them on the same track.

19. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,554
    8 years ago you probably would have said the same thing about Steve Spurrier.

Urban's gimmicky offense would fail miserably in the NFL.

20. Boltergeist

Boltergeist BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +111
    Norm Chow is an interesting OC candidate...but a head coach? He's not talked about much in that respect...probably for a reason. Personally I want a defensive minded coach. The offense is basically on auto-pilot.

Urban Meyer has proven nothing at the NFL level...I want someone with some experience at this level. Look no further than the last Florida HC, Steve Spurrier, to find that a great college coach doesn't always translate to successfull NFL head coach.

I think we're on the right track with our current candidates...Coordinators who have been in the flow of current game strategies, schemes, tendencies at the NFL level....and damn good reputations at that.

21. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    Norm Chow = Mike Singletary

22. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Norm Chow is Mike Singletary?

Is that like your mama is my.... ne'er mind....

23. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    :icon_huh:

OK, I'll bite...

:icon_shrug: WTF?

24. Thread_Killer

Thread_Killer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +680
    Just like Mike Singletary.

25. Thread_Killer

Thread_Killer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +680
    Sorry Ant, I posted that last one before I read this.

Good call.

26. AnteaterCharger

Ratings:
    +2,931
    norm like mike has not had much experience in coaching, has had little real proof of success and, in my opinion, lives off a name made in another forum

27. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,554
    I was referring to his offense, not his defense smart guy.