1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Why wait? Sign Turner

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Concudan, Dec 1, 2009.

1. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    By Nick Canepa

And before anyone mentions B4L, he has so far lived up to his promise to keep the Norv hate on the down low, so dont go poking him with any sticks! [​IMG] :icon_evil: :icon_twisted:

2. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,555
    As much as I dislike the guy, he impressed me on Sunday when he was willing to pass in the 4th quarter to get 1st downs, rather than pull his usuall run run run punt act. If there is more of that....eh, maybe.

3. Nomad

Nomad Very Senior Member

Ratings:
    +155
    I have stated my opinion before, give him a 5 hear extension now.

4. Osmekaman

Osmekaman BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +31
    I have no doubt that he will be extended.
    He and AJ share the same wavelength.

The team is improving and looks to be more focussed and well coached with every game.
    If we make the playoff's then he deserves a new deal.

We may just have to get used to slow starts every year.

5. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,930
    I assume they want to wait to see how he finishes the job. Norv also might want to wait until the end because while he's earned probably a raise and an extension, if he takes up very deep into the playoffs (or hopefully the super bowl) then he will have an even stronger position to negotiate from at the end of the season

6. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,415
    Wait. Have I been wrong this entire time regarding whether or not AJ has hiring and firing authority with the head coach? Or is Canepa just misinformed about that as well? Or is he just drawing the same line B4L does? (AJ supported the hire and more than likely argued for it, so instead of beating around the bush and saying who really hired him just say AJ did.)

Normally I'd just shrug a statement like this off but this time it's coming from a San Diego beat writer.

7. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    [​IMG]

:no:

:flag:

8. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +503
    I don't believe he has the authority per se. As far as I can make out AJ makes recommendations and offers opinions to Dean and Dean does the hiring and firing. No doubt AJ is involved in the interview process alongside Dean and probably Ed.

9. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,930
    And can we at least assume or think that possibly Turner doesn't want to sign an extension just now?

10. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,555
    Whats the point of jumping the gun too? If the Chargers get crushed by the Steelers again in January, or he starts out 4-8 again next year people are just going to be screaming again.

The team is 8-3, if we hadn't started so slow, looked unprepared at times, and had some attrocious decsions in scoring opportunities early on we'd probably be 10-1 right now.

Don't jump the gun, not until we reach the AFC Championship game again at least.

11. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,415
    That's assuming the Steelers are playing in January.

12. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    I'll stick to the wait and see line of reasoning. I like what Norv has done for Philip and the offense but it's the defense I'm concerned about. Norv is here next year, what about RR?

13. Skuzzlebutt

Skuzzlebutt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +128
    Nick is jumping the gun here.

He is not a lame duck until he has under a year on his contract. Extending him now has no benefit. If go one and done in the playoffs then we have something serious to think about in the offseason. If we can cut Marty after 14-2 then one and done, then no reason we would have to analyze Norv after a similar result.

Not saying we shouldn't extend him... just no reason during the season.

14. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +686
    Nick couldn't think of anything else to write about, so he wrote about something that will not happen until after the end of the year. That, or he is just trying to stir up the anti-norv contingent.

I wonder how many times AJ is going to have to repeat himself before these sports writers are going to get it. He does not evaluate the HC until the end of the season. He never has done it before and he is not going to start now.

15. LV Bolt Fan

LV Bolt Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432
    I think Norv deserves a 2 yr. extension. :yes:

16. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    Why now? It's not like people are beating down the door to steal him from us either.

I do think he deserves to stay, but I see no rush whatsoever.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Chuck F.

Chuck F. Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +37
    They haven't won anything yet.

Relax Nick.:tdown:

If the Chargers make the SB, extend him.

If not, F' em.

18. Airw0lf

Airw0lf BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +6
    Yup. Agree wholeheartedly. There is a Rugby League team I support here in Auckland and we screwed up that way. Last year we went deep into the playoffs after having a ~50% win-loss regular season (Does that remind anybody of something :D ?)

Then this year we were off to a slow start but the management signed the coach to 2 more years. Things only went downhill from there and we ended up nearly bottom of the league, no playoffs in sight.

I'm not saying the Chargers are gonna suck from now on, but let's try and get into the playoffs, see how we go and then resign Norv if warranted.

The only reason I think this type of negotiation happens now is to pick up a cheap contract.

19. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    We have two games that ought to be near gimmes and three that are anything but gimmes. We still have no guarantee of winning the division, let alone being the #2 seed in the playoffs. Norv is doing a good job, but the final record and the playoff performance will have a lot to do with the $$$$$$$.

20. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

:yes:

21. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    :yes:

22. bigmike.x.09

bigmike.x.09 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +280
    lets worry about it when he either gets signed or when the seasons done

too soon for discussion

23. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    How can all this talk about giving Turner an extension be credible when we haven't even secured a place in the playoffs yet?

One or the other is going to happen... either he'll stay here or become another team's OC.

• Like Like x 1
  24. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    There is no reason for this discussion. He is under contract thru 2010 and he's not going anywhere.

25. Eat My Boltage

Eat My Boltage Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +43
    I love it, a lot of people wanted him gone at the beginning of the season and now your talking about keeping him? Wow! I feel numb it must be the Norvacaine.:icon_rofl:

• Like Like x 1
  26. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    It's called "premature ejaculation." :lol:

27. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    I don't see the offense as being the problem with this team and the slow start this year (if you want to call it that) Rivera was handed the defense lock, stock and barrel, they promptly stumbled out of the gate.

Our defense reminds me of when Tom Bass took over, we had to score 40 in order to win. I like Ron and I hope he stays with us, we have shown signs of an attacking D and another year under his command may put us over the top.

We still may realize the dream this year but I'd still like us to wait before going out and making long term deals. Defense seems to be the weakest link on the Bolt's right now, we can score on anyone deny that if you can. We also seem to give up scores way to easy on defense.

28. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    I don't think the problem was starting out 2-3. It was the way we were playing.

Barley escaping an embarrassing loss in Oakland. Had they kept Garcia and started him, we would have lost.

Losing to the Ravens was one thing but it was the way we lost... absolute bone head play calling on our last two downs.

Then was seeing possibly the most embarrassing defense in NFL at Pittsburgh (considering the talent we have). Not only did they get killed but they All seemed to have forgot how to tackle.

At the time, it seemed like the Monday nighter against Denver was our last hope. Three games behind isn't that bad but considering how we were playing, it seemed impossible.
    Not only could we not beat the good teams but we were just squeaking by the bad teams.

29. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,415
    You can't make statements like that. There's no telling how different that game would have been with Garcia.

30. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

Isn't Russell ranked at #34? That means there's two back ups better than him. I can tell you this much would have been different... Garcia would have made most of the throws that Russell missed.