1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Why we lost? NO RUNNING GAME!!!!!

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by JoeRockhead, Jan 17, 2010.

1. JoeRockhead

JoeRockhead BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +196
    That has been the problem all year. Everyone wants to cry about BEEF in the draft. What good is BEEF, if you have an old tired RB with no speed left? He could not run today or really any day this year. Sproles isn't the guy either. We need a RB that can run with POWER! We DO NOT HAVE ONE. We got by all year with a crappy run game and it caught up to us. I'm a fan of LT like most of you are, but his day was over 2 years ago. He is good at the 5 to the goal, but not effective after that. The Jets made us one dimesional. PASS PASS PASS. They BEAT OUR ***!. No run game and you can't get it done. WE WERE HUMILIATED. The defense was on the field too much and got tired. We could not sustain any drives. WE NEED A RB IN THE DRAFT!!!!!!!!! But that is my opinion. I'm sure many will think i'm full of poo. The Kicker sucked too, I want forget that either.

2. NORV4LIFE

NORV4LIFE NO MORE NORV!!!!!

Ratings:
    +58
    We didn't lose bc no running game. THe colts have a worse running game and they were fine. we lost for 1 reason

[​IMG]

3. Helljumper

Helljumper BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +54
    A great running game definitely would've helped and probably made this game an easy blowout but that's not why we lost. We've been playing great all season despite our horrible running game so this isn't really a valid reason.

4. NORV4LIFE

Ratings:
    +58
    we lost cuz the jets are lucky *****es!

5. Showmeyourbolt

Showmeyourbolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +192
    Thomas Jones is a mediocre back who racked up yards after yards this year because of his offensive line. If you can't see what difference an offensive line can make, then you're either blind or stupid, or both.

6. NORV4LIFE

Ratings:
    +58
    We need a better coach!

7. Holy_Bolt

Holy_Bolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +362
    You must have a good O-line to have a good run game! This is football 101.

8. JoeRockhead

JoeRockhead BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +196
    I guess i'm blind and stupid. Will I get a some kind of compensation for that? We do have an offensive line. We don't have anyone to run behind it. Yes we missed FG'S but we should have been scoring TD's. I know an offensive line is important, but no RB will hurt too. I think if we had a RB with speed and power they COULD RUN BEHIND OUR LINE TODAY. We do not have that RB. SO from a stupid blind man that has been a fan since the age of 12 in 1979, that is my opinion. We have a good O line. We don't have a power back. But of course in stupid. so what do I know. I like our offensive line. I liked our draft. I didn't like not getting a run RB from the trade or draft. I doubted LT could get it done. I like the guy but he just doesn't have it anymore.

9. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,551
    Yeah but at some point LT has to stop slipping around and break a damn tackle.

A lot of his biggest runs in 2006 happened when he broke a tackle right at or behind the LOS with a juke or stiff arm and bounce it outside, he clearly doesn't have the abillity to bounce outside anymore.

10. powayslugger

powayslugger Feckless Slappy

Ratings:
    +275
    The difference between Jones and LT is that Jones isn't afraid of getting hit. LT doesn't have the speed to turn the corner and he's too big a ***** to turn it up the field so he runs out of bounds. He could turn that corner 3-4 years ago but not anymore.

He either needs to learn to take the punishment to turn it up field or retire... he just doesn't have it anymore. He's had a fine career and should begin posing for his Canton bust.

His only regrets should be that he hung on two years too long and did that ridiculous " LT- electric glide" video... totally stupid. He should have left that in the film vault. He makes me look like a good dancer.

Any chance we can get Gartrell Jackson back from the Giants?

11. JoeRockhead

JoeRockhead BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +196
    Like I said, I think our O- line is good. If we had a younger faster power guy, we could have done more. You have to be a complete team to win. Yes the Colts run game is weak, but it is better than ours.

12. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,551
    I don't think LT is responsible for the electric glide video getting out.

13. Showmeyourbolt

Ratings:
    +192

I agree, but how many broken tackles did the jets runningbacks have today? They had so many three, four, and five yard runs that can be attributed directly to their offensive line, and the only big broken tackle I can think of was on that last touchdown drive, which is a direct result of the constant pounding they had given our defense.

LT Is old, and he's not in the top echelon of back anymore, but I get damn tired when he is blamed for all the woes of the running game. Get rid of him if you want, but the problem won't be fixed unless the offensive line is fixed. Look at Peterson in Minnesota, his production has dropped a ton ever since his offensive line started struggling.

14. JoeRockhead

JoeRockhead BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +196
    Peterson's output has dropped because Farve is the QB. The game plan begins and ends with his arm now. The run is secondary. Their line is still good. And ours is too. Is it us making excuses for LT and blaming the line, our is the line ok, and LT not having the speed to take advantage of what they give him?

15. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    We do need to improve at RB, LT isn't a feature back anymore. He's just not

16. Showmeyourbolt

Ratings:
    +192

His production has dropped because his offensive line's play has dropped off. He ran the ball 24 time today, twice as much as LT. He is given plenty of opportunities. Their center from last year is gone, and they haven't fully adjusted in the running game. If you think our line is good at run blocking, then I don't know what to tell you. They're pathetic at it, and have been all year. Watching the game will show you taht, and every single metric out there will show you that as well. They improved over the last few weeks, but that improvement was nonexistent today.

IF WE TAKE A RUNNINGBACK WITH OUR FIRST PICK OVER AN OFFENSIVE OR DEFENSIVE LINEMAN WE ARE MAKING A HUGE MISTAKE.

17. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    that much I agree with; we need a NT first and foremost

18. Showmeyourbolt

Ratings:
    +192

I don't have a problem with that.

19. JoeRockhead

JoeRockhead BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +196
    I'm not saying we have to draft a RB first. But we DO NEED ONE. Eitheir by DRAFT, TRADE OR FA. Or we will be doomed again. Why do you doubt our O-line? How can you say it's their fault we can't run? LT is burned out and lost it 2 years ago. Do you really know for sure it's the lines fault? How can anyone say that? Give us Adrian Peterson and I bet we would have had a better run game with THIS line, as is. WE HAVE NO SPEED AND NO POWER. The line can block their hearts out but a turtle can only run so fast.

20. D-Funk

D-Funk BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +12
  21. Showmeyourbolt

Ratings:
    +192

The added success would be marginal. Not with eighteen carries spread sporadically throughout the game like the current group of running backs get. Sorry, some of the players on this line are living entirely off of the reputation that they made in 06. If you think the line is blocking their hearts out on running plays, you're delusional. The very first carry of the game that went for five yards required LT to avoid a lineman who had penetrated into the backfield. You never see this group push a defensive line back four or five yards off of the line of scrimmage

22. JoeRockhead

JoeRockhead BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +196
    Well you know the doctor said I should quit sniffing glue.....
    He said I could become delusional. :drool:

• Like Like x 1
  23. Brundlefly

Brundlefly Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +370
    As sad and hard it is for me to say, LT is done. The guy is my favorite player but he's done.

24. NORV4LIFE

Ratings:
    +58
    Im sure he could do well for someone. Maybe he could pull an emmit and go to the cardinals or the seahawks need a back. Sadly i bet the patriots would follow their habbit of picking up aged backs and use him against us :(

25. Brundlefly

Ratings:
    +370
    If I ever saw LT in a pats uniform I would literally throw up

26. JoeRockhead

JoeRockhead BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +196
    :eyepoke:

I would poke my eye out!

27. NORV4LIFE

Ratings:
    +58
    now you know how packers fans feel this year....:icon_rofl:

28. Brundlefly

Ratings:
    +370
    Well...it has happened so I don't know that haha. But if it did I would be sick.

Coincidentally I got an LT jersey for xmas, I should've asked for a Rivers jersey. Sorry LT I love ya dude, but you don't have it anymore. You've given me some AWESOME memories, being a fan during the 06 season was magical(until the playoffs). I haven't seen his whole career though(I think I started liking the Chargers in 03 or 04; I know I was a fan when Rivers got drafted).

29. Aggieman

Aggieman I bleed blue and gold

Ratings:
    +194
    I started with Leaf. Yes, it's time to send LT on down the road and get a running back in the draft to replace him. Who knows, we could find our own Chris Johnson. In AJ I still trust...

30. JoeRockhead

JoeRockhead BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +196