1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Wick's Picks

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by sdchrger, Sep 8, 2006.

1. sdchrger

sdchrger Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +820
    He Picks the Bolts to win in a close one but check out who is listed under his "Early Pro Bowl" selections :tup:

http://insider.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?name=wickersham_seth#20060908

Wick's Picks: Week 1 posted: Friday, September 8, 2006 |

Wicks' Picks got off to a good start with the Steelers-Dolphins Thursday-nighter. I needed that after my Miami-shouldn't-be-a-Super-Bowl-lock diatribe. Onward to Week 1:
    Falcons 24, Panthers 17: Steve Smith's hammy is a huge problem. Huge. Carolina needs him, and if he plays on Sunday and hurts it worse, it'll linger the entire year. Pulled hamstrings never improve as the season goes on.

Bucs 16, Ravens 14: Tampa is too good on defense -* and Baltimore is too lousy in pass protection, especially on the road -- to lose its home opener.

Pats 21, Bills 3: I was listening to Colin Cowherd's radio show on Thursday on my way to the airport, a show I really enjoy, a host who I think is very entertaining. But I heard him say, in referring to Bill Parcells and Bill Belichick, that "I'm not so sure Nick Saban isn't in that class or maybe above it."

Last time I checked, Saban hadn't won two Super Bowls during the 80s and early 90s competing against loaded Redskins, Bears and 49ers teams just to get there; hadn't won three Super Bowls in four years *- one of which against a Rams team that sported the best offense in NFL history; hadn't set the NFL record for consecutive wins in an era when it's hard enough just to have back-to-back winning seasons. Saban might become a great NFL coach, but you can't argue that he's in the Bills' league or above it. Not yet. You couldn't argue that drunk.

Chiefs 20, Bengals 19: As much as I believe in Carson Palmer and Cincy's O, winning in Arrowhead with a defense that I think will have trouble stopping anyone this year, especially Larry Johnson, is too tough. KC's D -- ticked off because of criticism during the preseason, when it ran vanilla schemes -* will hold off Palmer at the end.

Broncos 23, Rams 21: Denver's offense -* led by Mike Bell -* won't have a problem tempering the Dome crowd or the Rams.

Browns 21, Saints 13: Drew Brees may be telling reporters that he's not worried about his shoulder, but no scout I talked to thought he looked comfortable in the preseason. Romeo Crennel has had months to figure out how to rattle him. Kellen Winslow gets his first NFL TD.

Jets 14, Titans 12: I don't see Kerry Collins doing well after being on the squad what, two weeks? Tabloid headlines: MANGINIUS.

Eagles 23, Texans 20: The Texans will be in this for 60 minutes, but the lack of the running game will hurt Houston in the fourth quarter and McNabb will pull it out. Heartbreaker in Kub's debut.

Seahawks 38, Lions 10: Seattle only wishes it scored this many points the last time it played in Detroit.

Bears 24, Packers 21: Favre amends his statement to "99.8" percent sure he¹ll finish his career in Green Bay.

Cardinals 20, 49ers 7: I read that this is the first time in 18 years the Cardinals are opening at home? Is that not the weirdest stat you've ever heard of?

Jags 21, Cowboys 17: You thought August was bad for Parcells. And what's this about the press giving TO the name TO?

Colts 26, Giants 17: Two really good teams, but only one has an All Pro passer. The other has one that alternates between really good and he was the first pick of the draft?

Redskins 30, Vikings 17: Watch what happens when Al Saunders actually gameplans.

Chargers 21, Raiders 19: San Diego's front seven is too tough, even for the Raiders' new-look power running game.

Random Stuff
    • The Washington Post is following Jon Jansen's comments to HBO that "maybe 15, 20 percent" of players are taking some form of banned substance.

"I wouldn't put anything past some guys," RB Ladell Betts told the Post's Jason La Canfora. "If you can get away with it, I'm sure some guys would try it. It's very competitive in this league, trying to keep your job, and once you bring the money into the equation you never know what somebody will do."

The gloves are coming off between the press and the league as far as steroid use. Question is, do fans really care? Probably not. But that won't stop anyone.

Five early Pro Bowl picks posted: Thursday, September 7, 2006

Breaking into the Pro Bowl isn't easy. It's like prom and homecoming royalty in high school: the same faces are there every year. (Where did that analogy come from? I mean, I wasn't homecoming royalty in high school -- however I did catch passes from a few guys who were *- but I haven't even thought about it until after I wrote that. Great, one throwaway line and suddenly I'm going to be a Tony Robbins target.)
    Anyway, you watch the Pro Bowl and see the same players every year. There are lots of reasons why -* maybe a flawed voting system, Mr. Goodell? -* but every year, there are a few new guys voted in, players who've done so well you just can't keep out, guys you're happy to see recognized. I wish I could tell you there would be more, but usually it's just a few. So here are my five new Pro Bowlers for '06.

Jared Allen, DE Chiefs. Allen has put up 20 sacks in his first two years out of Idaho State, a figure that has been overlooked because the Chiefs D has been such a liability. Allen needs more exposure, and if you spend five minutes around him you know that he's a terrific topic for the media. If the Chiefs are decent this year, Allen will get to Hawaii.

Ben Watson, TE Patriots. He's already a Pro Bowl talent who will be the most featured player in the Pats passing game, what with the Pats' unimpressive receivers. Bill Belichick will figure out how to get Watson open, and Tom Brady will find him. It wouldn't surprise me if Watson averages five catches a game.

Kris Dielman, G Chargers. Few no-names impressed scouts or GMs around the league like Dielman did when he finally got his chance to start in Week 3 last year. To say he whipped Richard Seymour a few times a week later in San Diego's 41-17 blowout isn't an exaggeration. Blocking for LT will get Dielman noticed this year.
    Cadillac Williams, RB Bucs. Cadillac was going to be a Pro Bowler last year until his foot injury knocked him out of action and limited his ability for most of the year. He's a film junky who pines for contact, but having learned when to run out of bounds or get down to avoid taking an extra lick will help his durability this year, which will help him to Hawaii. After all, he topped rookie vote-getters with 219,736 last year.

D.J. Williams, LB Broncos. He's the fastest of the fastest group of linebackers the NFL has to offer. His tackles went down from 114 to 68 in '05 and he'll have to prove he can play in Denver's nickel defense. If he can improve his coverage skills, he should have the impact to join Al Wilson as a Pro Bowler.

Wick's Thursday Night Pick
    Steelers 20, Dolphins 10. When Big Ben was ruled out for this game I paused for a moment in picking Pittsburgh, but no defense rises to the occasion like Pittsburgh's, especially when the Dolphins are everyone's preseason Super Bowl favorite.

Random stuff
    • New commish Roger Goodell took questions from the press at Giants practice yesterday, and had this to say about steroids and HGH:
    "We have no indication that we have a significant issue in HGH, but that doesn't mean that you shouldn't approach it as aggressively as possible to say, 'What is it we can do to stay ahead of that?' "

The reason why there's no indication that HGH is a significant issue is because there's no reliable testing. Goodell says the league is financing testing research, and we can only hope that he's saying that sincerely and will be serious about testing for it if and when a way to detect HGH is found. • Chargers LB Steve Foley is choosing not to talk to the police department that shot him three times the other morning.

On the field, losing Foley will hurt from a leadership standpoint. But after talking with Luis Castillo last night, the Chargers are pretty happy that Shaun Phillips will get a chance to play. "Shaun can get off the ball with the best of them," he said. "I've seen tackles jump offsides because they're so worried."

2. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    Cool read...tx man !!! :tup:

3. Boltjolt

Boltjolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402
    I doubt the Raiders score 19 points on us.

I think they will only score 7...10 at the most.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Thunderstruck

Thunderstruck BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +272
    AJ's "player-to-watch" this year is Igor.

A lot of our young talent is on the rise. Good things are in the future! :icon_beerbang:

5. Shamrock

Shamrock New Member

Ratings:
    +1,243
    AJ needs to lock him up longterm and find a STUD guard to replace our weaklink - Mike Goff.

6. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    Yeah, I'll be shocked if they score 2 TDs.

7. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    Wick's Pick's? Is this guy trying to rip off my Thumper's Picks column? I guess it's easy to pick the Steelers in a Thursday game when your picks come out on Friday. My picks were done on Tuesday and posted Wednesday morning and I'll still put my picks against this guy any day.

This guy is a step up from going against Bob Costas (so is throwing darts at a copy of the sports section), but I'd love to see how I fare against him at seasons end.

You have to pay for his stuff by being and ESPN insider. My picks are free, but I think next year I charge.

8. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,456
    I agree with that, Oaklands so called "new attitude" will only get them so far before talent comes into play, and lets face it there outmached.:icon_toast:

9. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    The Chargers have shocked the world [​IMG]

10. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,508
    Agreed. This is the only guy that AJ has targeted for a contract extension this offseason that has not received one. Dielman is a beast. With more experience and better conditioning this season, I think we'll see more consistent, dominating play from him. Having McNeill playing next to him instead of Oleander Jordan should help, too.

11. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +493
    I am not bashing the guy but am I the only one that thinks this guy Dielman is being talked up alot more than he deserves. God knows he is willing and a tryer but he is more of a fighter than a true O line warrior. More often than not last year I remember him falling flat on his face after missing another block when pulling. I am hoping he goes on to be a great left guard but he is not there yet imho. Giving him a big extension with mucho $$$ would be only slightly less surprising than what AJ did for no. 23.

12. Shamrock

Shamrock New Member

Ratings:
    +1,243
    Hardwick and Dielman get to the 2nd level and FINISH blocks. While I don't think Dielman is a Pro Bowl level road grader, he has gotten MUCH better, and IMO will continue to improve.

Watching him vs. Goff is night and day. Goff is the weakest link in our OL - even when Jordan is in the lineup.

13. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,508
    I have to disagree. When Dielman was inserted into the lineup early last season, he was very impressive. As the season wore on, he began to struggle, but I think that's expected for a lineman who had played very little prior to last year. The guy was fatigued. Now that he has one long season under his belt, and another year at a position he is still learning, I think the guy will improve by leaps and bounds.