1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Wide Left

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by CoronaDoug, Oct 15, 2007.

1. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    We better hope that we keep winning by touchdowns. What do weak kick-offs and missed field goals mean in the playoffs?

Just something to keep your eye on.

Flame away!:beat:

2. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    He's been solid the last few weeks, maybe it was just a bad day?

3. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    You are correct but I keep going back to the playoff games. I just don't think that he has the range, especially in big games.

4. LaDeezie21

LaDeezie21 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +82
    His kickoffs have been good this year I must say. There is a thread in the Chargers forum regarding Nate and according to the folks over there, there were strong winds in the stadium which could of contributed to the miss. I can buy that since he did have weak kickoffs yesterday.

You are right about him being bad in the post season. People can love the guy all they want but they can't deny that when the game is on the line Nate isn't very reliable. People can make as many excuses as they want but the reality is that he's not very clutch.

Like you said, let's hope we don't need him in the playoffs.

5. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    Maybe Nate can take a que from his stunt double, Floyd Landis, and juice up right before the playoffs. Put a little BOOM in that weak a/ss leg of his.

6. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    this was a big game???:icon_huh:

7. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    I won't be too hard on Keading for missing a 50 yarder but I agree that he has to start making them!!!

8. Thread_Killer

Thread_Killer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +680
    Part of the problem is, we are so good in the red zone, Nate rarely has to make pressure kicks during the season.

I guess that is a good problem to have. I remember the Bobby Ross years, we constantly had to settle for John Carney field goals.

9. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    They are all big games from here on out. IMO, there will be no Wild Card coming from the AFC West. And I expect KC to be 9-7. That means the Chargers can only lose 3 more. Take a look at our schedule now and it looks a lot more difficult than it did prior to the start of the season. A mix of high-powered offenses and stiff defenses. That Dec. 30th game at Oakland is probably going to be the difference between getting into the playoffs or taking an early vacation.

10. LaDeezie21

LaDeezie21 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +82
    Yes and no. I mean it's great we have an offense that scores a lot of touchdowns but at the same time, having a kicker that can't make the big kick is very worrisome.

As we all know. Nate is the most effective under very specific circumstances.

1. Kicks must be 35 yards or closer.

2. Weather conditions must be perfect. In other words it can't be raining, snowing or windy....scratch that breezy.

3. There can't be much riding on the outcome of the particular attempt.

Now if all three of those circumstances are met then he's good to go.

Unfortunately I don't think I've ever seen a post season game where a kicker didn't have to overcome one or all three of those circumstances.

11. Boltdiehard

Boltdiehard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,171
    Whenever Nate comes in to kick a FG I leave the room. I have permanent scars from the 2004 playoff game and until he actually kicks a game-winner I'll continue to leave the room. :tdown:

12. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,074
    But its getting old.

How many more before we start looking for a new kicker?

13. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    Got to agree with Corona. I just pray that Nate isn't our "Ray Finkle" (from Ace Ventura) Nate is like the Hoffman of the Chargers. Great in the regular season, tanks when we need him to come through in a big game or playoffs. Hell, that kicker in NE is way better. I think Nate is still trying to get over that Jets loss in 2004.

14. reddenedbeard

reddenedbeard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +112
    He needs to start getting up for these moments!! When you miss field goals, you lose the battle of field position and at that stage of the game, it was very important. Good thing we overcame it.

15. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    I totally agree

and our return yards on kickoff and punts

suck

CUT SPROLES!!!

:yes:

16. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +689
    2004 vs Jets :puke:

2006 vs NE :puke:

I am scratching my head trying to think of a game where he made a critical FG.

Anything < 40 should be a gimme in todays NFL.

17. LV Bolt Fan

LV Bolt Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432
    Including 50+ yarders? :icon_huh:

18. Ray Dahayder

Ray Dahayder BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +33
    Without digging through the stats, isn't this the first FG he's missed all year? Geesh, yeah, it would have been great to have those extra 3 points, but it was a 47-50 yard attempt. Not saying he can't or shouldn't make most of those, but.... MOST of them means he'll have to miss SOME of them.

I didn't notice where his kickoffs were going on sunday. I usually watch the players and from my low angle, it's hard to see the exact field position when the play is at the other end.

I take it, from what you're posting, that Nate's kickoffs were short?

19. Zeus

Zeus BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +83
    I for one am glad Norv is giving Kaeding more experience with long field goals. We were up we didn't have to try a super long one and punted it but why the hell not. I think we would of tried a 56 yarder. I hope we can beat on more teams and give Kaeding some practice on those FGs.

20. Buttmunch

Buttmunch Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +108
    Look at that kicker for Dallas. Young kid kicks two field goals to win the game.....the second one after the Bill's call a timeout at the last second..........that's what you call clutch.......not to mention he did it AT the Bills home turf.

21. LaDeezie21

LaDeezie21 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +82

I don't think it's the fact that it's his first miss. It's just that he tends to miss when the pressure is on.

I will say that he did seem like he was getting better on kickoffs though. I just think he chokes when he has to come through on a field goal.

There is always an excuse for him as well and that irks some fans. It can never be a simple, "well he just missed it" fans have to dig for his stats, weather conditions, distance, personal information (his puppy died that morning how would you feel?), stress and so on.

I don't hate the guy. I just don't think he can help the bolts if they were to rely on him to win a playoff game or worse a game during the regular season to get us into the playoffs.

I guess that most of us who don't trust him still remember that coming out of college he was supposed to be this fearless clutch kicker with ice running through his veins. not so much in the pro's though..

22. LaDeezie21

LaDeezie21 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +82
    But Buttmunch not every kicker can do that. You can't hold Nate (a veteran PRO-BOWL kicker) to those standards. You have to understand that this is the mighty Chargers we're talking about. They shouldn't rely on their kicker.....

...end sarcasm...