1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Wide receiver Floyd's absence is puzzling

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, May 12, 2009.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    [​IMG]

By Kevin Acee

[​IMG]

May 12, 2009, 2:46 p.m.

Malcom Floyd is one of the nicest, humblest men I have ever met. A great guy to talk to, I speak with him almost daily during the season. He's that enjoyable to know.

He certainly seems like the last guy to be pulling a pseudo-holdout.

Floyd, a restricted free agent, has yet to sign the second-round tender he was offered in February. The tender would pay Floyd $1.54 million in 2009, about 2 1/2 times his '08 salary.

Not being under contract, Floyd doesn't have to show up for offseason workouts, and he skipped minicamp this month. According to numerous sources, Floyd has let teammates and others in the organization know he is following the advice of his agent.

Neither Floyd nor his agent, Buddy Baker, have responded to numerous messages this offseason.

So we're left to speculate.

And it just doesn't make any sense.
    What good is this going to bring about for Floyd? None.

Is he trying to force a trade? Two words: A.J Smith. It just isn't going to happen, unless Smith wants it to happen.

Is Floyd trying to get a long-term deal? Some more names : Vincent Jackson, Chris Chambers, Legedu Naanee, Buster Davis.

Look, this isn't that big a deal. Floyd is a No.3 receiver who could fall as low as No.5 or 6 on the Chargers' list of targets. But that doesn't change the fact it simply doesn't make sense for Floyd.

He's missing valuable workout time. Moreover, he's burying himself. Norv Turner loves him, so does Philip Rivers. But Floyd isn't a No. 1 receiver. Turner and Rivers are goign to work with the receivers that are up to speed.

Take a look at another Chargers player who had not signed a tender -- running back Darren Sproles.

A couple days before minicamp, which he would not have been allowed to participate in had he not signed his franchise tender, Sproles decided he wanted to be with the team. Make no mistake, that was Sproles' decision, not his agent's.

"You work out by yourself, it's not the same," Sproles said recently. "You can do all the little drills and things, but it's not as good as being on the field (with your teammates). It was good for me to sign and be with the team."

And the Chargers were OK with Sproles missing minicamp and even a portion of training camp. They know what a hard worker he is. They made him their franchise player. He plays a position that can afford to miss a little offseason work.

Floyd plays receiver, where the more work he gets with his QB, the better. And he isn't Sproles.

This is most likely going to turn out fine. Floyd will sign the contract before training camp. But he won't be better for what he's doing now.

http://www3.signonsandiego.com/weblogs/chargers/2009/may/12/floyds-absence-puzzling/?chargers

• Like Like x 1
  2. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,807
    :( I :wub: M80 - I hope his agent has some good reasons for encouraging a hold out... imo If this kid put on a few more lbs (on top of what he's already done in the past two years) he could compete with VJ for the #1 spot - he just needs to be more durable and a bit 'o bulk will help him with that. His chem with Rivers is a thing of beauty~

3. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    Why would he hold out? The kid is a multi-millionaire

Shadup and play

:tdown:

• Like Like x 1
  4. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    Just hope he stays healthy.
    06, he was on IR.
    07, no say if he was healthy or not... he just didn't play.
    08, he saw some playing time as most of us forgot we still had him.

5. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    I agree he's trying to force a trade. He's just never gonna get the kind of PT he needs here with the Chargers. I really don't blame him, and I do feel he's being wasted on our bench. I just wish the team could find a way to get him out there more.

6. Haterproof2020

Haterproof2020 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +8
    I think he should hold out. Its a business at the end of the day and he is worth more then that weak contract. Every time the guy gets in there he balls out, sure looks like a number 1 type reciever to me. At the end of the day Floyd could be somewhere putting in work but instead hes been wasting away in SD getting random time. I think he is a diamond in the rough and we need to lock him up while his price is low before he goes and does something crazy thats gonnna drive his cost up because he is that type of player.

• Like Like x 2
  7. pure-sol

pure-sol Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +255
    I like Floyd, but if you want to look at the business side of it then you have to see that he's getting to be known as injury prone. Having a history of a collapsed lung makes you more susceptible to another one. Also keep in mind that as a restricted free agent, teams are able to offer trades if they want a player. Obviously nobody was all that interested in Floyd since there wasn't anything heard about any offers for the guy.

I'd have to agree with Acee here. Malcolm is only hurting himself by holding out. Holding out rarely works out great for premiere players, and even more rarely for 2nd teamers. :no:

• Like Like x 1
  8. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036
    Dood needs to something crazy before WE lock him up

:tup:

9. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +505
    I love Malcom but didn't Acee write the exact same thing a week ago?. Looks like a double post to the UT to me, or was I seeing things?.....

If I am not seeing things that is v poor editing. :tdown:

10. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,074
    Acee is just trying to stir things up again. If you dont read him, you dont have to worry what garbage is spewing out of his fingers.

11. MONDO.

MONDO. Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +36
    M80 is dope; makes amazing catches and does seem to have a great connection with Rivers. Problem is when you look at his track record of being hurt it does make a long term contract a relatively slippery slope. Acee is a big ol' dork but yeah I agree with him in that Floyd is only hurting himself by holding out. If he was on the bench most of the year without being on AJ's **** list; what does he expect once he is? I think that he will report when it is madatory and play at somepoint he and his stupid agent will realize he is about as wanted elsewhere as Osgood was.

If it were up to me I would dump Davis and give Floyd his money; but god forbid AJ admits a mistake; eats crow; and help the team.

12. Charger Dave

Charger Dave Dead account

Ratings:
    +1,028
    :whistling: RTL, please explain to me how someone who isn't currently under contract can "force a trade" - ???

Unemployed people everywhere await your response with baited breath. :)

Back on topic, he is probably trusting his agent to somehow/somewhere come up with a team that will give him a better contract - OR - get him a better contract offer out of the Chargers than the tender without the risk of getting some form of injury in the mean time. What is confusing is that Mr. Floyd already has quite an injury history that cannot be hidden by absence and is undoubtedly coming up in *any* contract negotiations his agent might be entertaining with the Chargers or any NFL team.
    You see articles like this that contain absolutely nothing factual and wonder how Acee is able to continue to receive paychecks. Must have some compromising pictures of his boss at a company party or something? :D

13. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036
    I'm guessing it's because he's a restricted FA. If he sits out he'll get buried in the same way other players have when they think they're bigger than the game.

:tdown:

14. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +636
    I believe a team can trade a player to which they have the rights to (how's the grammar? :unsure: ), doesn't matter if he's under contract or not

15. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +2,074
    If a player is not under contract, and is not an unrestricted free agent. That Player can go anywhere he wants; the Chargers have absolutely nothing on him. The only time anything like that would come into play would be if the Chargers hung that franchise tag on him, but that honor went to Sproles this year.

16. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036
    right, but I think MF is a restricted FA

17. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    Hey Malcolm
    Holding out against AJ does wonders, look what it did for our lives. We have tons more free time now.

Signed
    Jason Ball, Hannik Milligan, Donnie Edwards, Shane Olivea, Kassim Osgood etc

18. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +2,074
    you are right he is a RFA, if my memory severs me right doesn’t that mean he is free to go to another team and negotiate a contract, the Chargers can match it if they want to.

19. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036

:lol::lol::lol:

I believe you are correct sir... :tup:

A player who has 3 years of experience is eligible for restricted free agency, whereby his current team has the chance to retain rights to this player by matching the highest offer any other NFL franchise might make to that player. The club can either block a signing or, in essence, force a trade by offering a salary over a certain threshold. In 2006, these thresholds were as follows:

* If a club tenders an offer of $685,000 per year for a three year veteran, and $725,000 for a four year veteran, the player's current team has "right of first refusal" over the contract at those terms, and may sign the player at those terms.
    * If a club tenders an offer of $712,000 or 110% (whichever is greater) of the previous year's salary, then the current club has both "right of first refusal" and rights to a draft pick from the same round (or better) from the signing club. Essentially, this means that the new club must forfeit the draft pick to the old club if they wish to sign the player under these terms.
    * If a club tenders an offer of $1.552 million or 110% (whichever is greater) of the previous year's salary, then the current club has both "right of first refusal"; and rights to the first round draft pick from the signing club.[43]

20. cranberry

cranberry BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +195
    I see it like you and I'm very sad about Floyd. I just watched
    my DVD of the 06 Pittsburgh game where he was the target in Philip's coming out game. Malcolm do the right thing and sign!

21. Cheapseats

Cheapseats Loud, proud Charger fan

Ratings:
    +373
    "...spewing out of his fingers" Hmmm....not my first guess.:lol:

22. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +2,074
    I would of gotten in trouble had I said ***

23. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    pwnt, several times

24. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    [​IMG]

25. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,807
    He signed he signed!! M80 is back y0~

26. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036
    :tup::tup::tup:

27. Osmekaman

Osmekaman BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +31
    man, it never ceases to amaze me how little coverage the U-T gives the Bolts in the off-season - considering the number of fans who hang on every printed word.

I miss the old chargers football xtra.

:bolt:

28. Cheapseats

Cheapseats Loud, proud Charger fan

Ratings:
    +373
    On the plus side, the number of negative / disturbing stories is down from last season. At this time of the off season I am OK with not much news except for the occasional re-signing.

Go Chargers!!!!
    :flag:

• Like Like x 1
  29. Osmekaman

Osmekaman BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +31
    Very true: no news is better than news of injuries, holdouts or DUI's.

That said, unlike the Tribune, I don't switch off from The Chargers for 3 months a year and would like to read well written features and opinion - not some of the rubbish written by ill-informed east coast media and bloggers with an axe to grind.