1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Wildcat formation for the Chargers?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by msmith, Oct 23, 2009.

1. msmith

msmith BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +12
    Looks like it is the hot item now. The Chargers had played against the Dolphins with that scheme and won. With Rivers at helm, could be a two heads monster if used correctly.

Thoughts?

2. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    It'll never happen.

Well... maybe "never" is too strong.

Put it this way... Rivers is our best offensive option. Norv has had a difficult time getting Philip going early. A no huddle to start the game perhaps? NOPE. Spread 'em out and get 'em away from the LOS early? NOPE. How about late in games when the pass rush is eating us alive... you'd think maybe some 3 step drops with some short routes to get us 5 - 7 yds a pop? NOPE. And don't forget about our red zone troubles. Put the ball in your best offensive player's hands at crunchtime to get some TDs? NO. Run your smallest player into the back of your linemen? YEP.

So, I doubt Norv would be able to incorporate the gimmicky Wildcat.

If he did though, it would likely be Naanee taking the snaps as he's probably the shiftiest WR and was previously a QB at Boise State.

After writing this... I'm going back to saying it'll NEVER happen. :lol:

3. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    We can't even run the scheme already in place correctly.

4. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    Yeah. That's what I meant. :lol:

5. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Are we really expecting gimmicks to pull us out of this mess?

Please ..... :tdown:

6. vmax

vmax BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +5
    Philip Rivers is one of the few players we have that can be counted on to consistently play up to his abilities. I would hate to see him standing on the sideline when we have the ball.

7. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    IF he gets some protection up front from the line!

8. Fouts

Fouts I heart Deano!

Ratings:
    +349
    No thanks, we have an great passing game, we just need to ramp up our O-line.

9. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I only put idiots on ignore...

Ratings:
    +1,733
    Maybe we can do a wildcat O-Line formation, bringing in the two tight ends and a wide receiver to block...

Pointy :icon_twisted:

10. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,807
    I just wanna see LT to PR for a TD like back in the day :lol: Just once!

11. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    Option doesn't work in the NFL, so NO.

I had fun watching Vick get stuffed every time Philly tried to run it last night. Let it go already.

12. Chargers-Superhero

Chargers-Superhero Just win the Damn SB !!!

Ratings:
    +117
    Maybe once a game for a trick play with Legadu taking the snap running it on a 3rd and one, or LT taking the snap. Or maybe just faking the formation to see if the other team burns a time out.

Other wise I'd say no. Even our LT option throwing the ball hasn't happened since 2007 I believe, but I might have missed one play in 2008 having him do this, but I don't remember him doing that in 2008. Last one I remember was the TD to Gates against the Bears in game 1 of 2007.

13. LV Bolt Fan

LV Bolt Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432
    To get the chargers to try a play like that, they'd need to get Cam Cameron back. :lol:

14. Holy_Bolt

Holy_Bolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +362
    I'm against any offensive formation that might take Rivers off the field. PR is our top weapon!:yes:

15. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    Might be interesting to see Naanee throw off a reverse run as an option. Not often, pick the moments.

16. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    That I could possibly see. Nothing that would put PR in the way of harm any more than he already is.

17. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    By the way... I meant never... except against the Raiders. :lol:

(The Norv Mind.f.uck experience continues!) :abq1:

18. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    We need to come up with the wild cat defense.

19. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,929
    I don't mind using it like 3-4 times a game perhaps, but yeah as a long term rushing style it just doesn't work

20. Chargers-Superhero

Chargers-Superhero Just win the Damn SB !!!

Ratings:
    +117
    The LT Wildcat TD run was cool to watch. They should try it again at some point in the year in the right situation. :tup:

21. Zot

Zot Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +14
    I wouldn't mind seeing LT throw out of it, too. Really get the enemy d off balance.

Later

22. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    :tup:

• Like Like x 1
  23. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    Get Lego to throw the ball or run. The dude was a QB in college and can chuck the piss out of the ball. He has a cannon. Rivers moves to the slot or wideout or sit down for one play. Have LT and Sproles and pick a fullback in the backfield and go. Defenses would **** themselves.

You could have Manu or Gates or Tolbert/Hester as the 3rd back.

Hell, I'd like to see McNeil on a tackle eligible play just to shake it up.

24. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,582
    ****...McNeil...now that would be a HUGE target for anyone in the wildcat. Could you imagine him catching a TD pass from Legadu? If that were to ever happen, the DC of the opposing team would be fired on the spot. :lol:

25. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Same here. We aren't getting Naanee involved nearly enough.

26. 17Rocks

17Rocks Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +135
    I listened to the game via internet radio as I was travelling and Hank Bauer kept calling it the "wild frog" formation...

27. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    TCU reference.

28. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    Wild frog makes its debut

Casey Pearce
    Posted Nov 1, 2009
    The Chargers rolled out their version of the Wildcat offense Sunday and it produced LaDainian Tomlinson’s first touchdown run of the day.

The Chargers have been working on it since May and LaDainian Tomlinson[​IMG] has been lobbying for the “Wild Frog,” the Chargers’ version of the Wildcat offense, for several weeks.
    Tomlinson got his wish Sunday, and the result was a five-yard touchdown run.
    “We were just sitting there saying, ‘Coach, when are you going to call it? We’re ready,’” Tomlinson said.
    LT took a direct snap and raced into the end zone untouched on the play, which he expected to do as soon as he scanned the defense before snapping the ball.
    “I knew when I looked at the defense and the formation they were in, they were kind of confused,” Tomlinson said. “It kind of helped in the blocking scheme. That’s why the hole was so wide open.”
    Tomlinson’s run was the first time the Chargers had run the formation, and it was the only play they were in it Sunday. Head Coach Norv Turner said the call was made in part in effort to give a jolt to the Chargers’ struggling red zone offense after they went 2-for-5 near the goal line last week in Kansas City and have had their issues throughout the season.
    The Chargers were 2-for-3 Sunday in goal to go situations.
    “We continue to look for different ways in the red zone to have success and we had better success,” Head Coach Norv Turner said.
    Tomlinson serves as the Chargers’ point man in the Wild Frog and is a big fan of the wrinkle.
    “You have options and you can really take the ball anywhere,” Tomlinson said. “It’s kind of like a quarterback draw. You have the power blocks up front, the pulling guard and the fullback leading up in there so it gives you many options.”
    The drawback is that it takes the ball out of Philip Rivers[​IMG]’ hands, but the Wild Frog is something that will likely been seen again from the Chargers this season.
    “We’ve got enough variety to do it,” Turner said. “I get nervous about putting Philip out there at wide receiver, but it’s something we can expand on and will expand on.”
    When Tomlinson was asked if any of his options on the Wild Frog play involved throwing to Rivers, he laughed and said, “I don’ think that’s a play we’ll be doing any time soon.”
    LT had plenty of reasons to smile Sunday. Not only did his two touchdowns go a long way in giving the Chargers their 13th-straight win over the Raiders, he also went over the 12,000-yard mark on his career. He reached 12,000 rushing yards in just 132 games, making him the fourth-fastest player in NFL history to get to the milestone.
    “I knew I was close and I was looking forward to it,” Tomlinson said. “At the same time, you look for so much more. I’m a guy who is never satisfied so I look for so much more. I’m happy to reach that mark but I still have a lot of football to play and I’m expecting bigger and better things.”

• Like Like x 1
  29. Haterproof2020

Haterproof2020 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +8
    they should start doing that all the time in the redzone, there not scoring anyways so why not try it. It takes that extra second of PR handing it off to Lt away and it causes for confusion cuz they never know if LT is gonna throw the ball. I say thats a no brainer

30. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +686
    I never want to see Rivers at WR. :tdown: :no:

Rivers is the one of the most gangly runners I have seen on the field.