1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Wildcat Turner?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Concudan, Jun 13, 2009.

1. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,976
    http://myespn.go.com/blogs/afcwest/0-3-2318/Evening-notes--Chargers-try-form-of-the-Wildcat.html

The San Diego Union Tribune reports San Diego practiced a form of the Wildcat offense, with running back LaDainian Tomlinson taking the snap from center and quarterback Philip Rivers lined up wide.

San Diego coach Norv Turner told reporters the formation was used mostly to give the defense experience against the formation. It seems that more teams are toying with the offense. Whatever the reason, it's a smart move for both the San Diego offense and its defense to get a taste of the formation. On occasion, Tomlinson would be dangerous using the formation.

Meanwhile, the Chargers are talking lottery.

2. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,976
    Chargers hope lottery tie-in proves to be a winning ticket

Fans might be able to buy blue and gold, lightning-bolted California Lottery tickets by the start of the NFL season.

In an attempt to look for nickels under every cushion in these lean economic times, the team is in negotiations with lottery officials about producing a line of Chargers-themed scratch-off tickets.

To that same end, the Chargers are talking with a handful of advertising partners about affixing a logo to the team's practice jerseys.

“We're pursuing and looking at all those opportunities, along with any others we come up with to grow our business and revenues for this season and beyond,” said Jim Steeg, Chargers' chief operating officer.

The league last month approved teams' making deals with their respective state lotteries to put team logos on scratch-off tickets.

The New England Patriots and Washington Redskins have reached such deals, and several other teams are in talks with their state lotteries.

While the NFL has always publicly taken a hard stance against gambling, NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell said at the time owners approved the lottery deals that lotteries generate funds for “many different public purposes.”

How much the Chargers would make from a lottery deal is unknown, but it almost certainly would be less than teams that don't have to share such deals. The San Francisco 49ers and Oakland Raiders are expected to try to align with the California Lottery as well.

It is not known how much other teams receive for their deals with lotteries, but the benchmark can be found in Massachusetts, where Boston Red Sox-themed lottery tickets have generated more than $630 million in sales. The Red Sox are believed to have netted $2 million from the deal.

The NFL recently allowed teams to sell sponsorship logos on their practice jerseys. The patches can be no larger than 3-½ by 4-½ inches. A handful of teams have reached such deals.

'Family' ticket offer

The Chargers announced a ticket package option for seats in their family section, where no alcohol is allowed.

The packages, which include a ticket for four regular-season and one exhibition game, are $48 each per game, $6 off the regular price.

The first package is for games against the Denver Broncos, Baltimore Ravens, Philadelphia Eagles and Cincinnati Bengals, plus the exhibition opener against the Seattle Seahawks. The second package is for games against the Kansas City Chiefs, Oakland Raiders, Miami Dolphins and Washington Redskins and the exhibition finale against the San Francisco 49ers.

3. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,976
    The Chargers worked on a few exciting things as the veteran portion of their spring practices came to a close this week.

A lot of two-minute situations, some reverses and halfback throwbacks.

And, yes, those of you who have been waiting for this offense to adopt the craze, the Chargers offense spent portions of the past two practices running a version of the Wildcat.

Calling it the "Frog," as in TCU Horned Frogs, and simply the "Cat," Norv Turner said the plays were primarily to give the defense a look. But you never know.

"I think it's good for our defense to see," Turner said. "They're going to face it. But if we practice it enough and get good enough at it ... We've got versatile enough guys, if we can get some plays out of it, it will be good."

The Chargers ran a number of plays out of the formation, with LaDainian Tomlinson and Legedu Naanee taking snaps at various times. Vincent Jackson was also involved running across the formation, and Philip Rivers lined up wide.

Today was the final day of veterans being on the field. Rookies will practice four more times next week. Some veterans will continue to work out at the facility through the end of June before taking most of July off.

Rookies are scheduled to report to training camp July 26 and practice the next four days. Veterans report the 30th and practice for the first time on the 31st.

4. pure-sol

pure-sol Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +255
    I hate the wildcat offense and I hope we don't actually use it. It seems like it's there to make up for a crappy QB, which of course we don't have.

5. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,407
    Pete Prisco agrees with you.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/11837369

6. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,976
    In the right situation, LT taking a direct snap could be good. Only if it didnt put Rivers out to get creamed.

7. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,807
    Didn't we run a form of it when LT tossed those TD passes in the past? I mean... it's not like the wildcat is really that "new" it's just popular now... :p

Anyway... never did understand why no one creamed Pennington on the line when he was in the WR slot :tdown: if the QB lines up wide like that why not take the opportunity to make him regret it?? :icon_shrug:

8. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,976
    No. The general wildcat scheme is distinguished by a direct snap to the running back and an unbalanced offensive line.

The wildcat is an offensive package rather than an offense, in that it uses the same pre-snap motion coming across the formation on every play in the package and every play initially looks like a sweep behind zone blocking. However, after the snap several things may happen once the motion man crosses the player receiving the snap.

In the past, LT has taken the toss from the QB and then stopped his progression towards the sideline behind the line of scrimmage to throw a pass over the attacking D. So there was no direct snap to LT, so as I understand it, that would not be considered a wildcat play.

Also I believe the refs would still call unnecessary roughness on anyone creaming the QB lined up wide out, if they were not involved in the play and were to be 'creamed'. Thought there are some QBs I would love to see give that yellow hanky away! :icon_twisted:

• Like Like x 1
  9. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    I think that it would work better with Sproles taking the snap.

10. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,976
    Only if there were holes. I don't see Sproles breaking any tackles... But give him a hole and watch his turn into Speedy Gonzales! LT is a threat running, catching and passing the ball.

[​IMG]

11. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    If we use it at all, Naanee should be the guy taking the snap. I doubt that we see it, but you never know .... remember the fumblerooski?

12. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    Holes? If there are no holes then we are in the same position we were last year. :tdown:

LT screen pass to Sproles? :tup:

13. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,976
    That could be nasty. Though I think more defenses are familiar with the Wildcat and will play more disciplined should the QB not be in the backfield.

Now if they direct snap to LT while Rivers is audiabling... something could happen.

14. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I only put idiots on ignore...

Ratings:
    +1,729
    It would be a good surprise play, just not something to do every game...

Pointy :icon_twisted:

15. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Hey Pointy!!! :abq2: :icon_toast:

16. ntman68

ntman68 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +139
    Trick plays for the lose... just line 'em up and smash 'em.

17. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,976
    Over reliance on them yes :yes:. Ocasionally it can be a momentum maker...:tup:

• Like Like x 1
  18. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +683
    I think it is just getting the D used to seeing the looks and reacting to them.

I don't see the Chargers using this during the regular season.

College gimmick schemes come and go and this one will die off like the "Run and Shoot"...

19. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    That isn't the point, Kwak - some teams really do need it & I understand that focus.

We can make it work ..... it should be used just enough to keep it in the back of the opposing DC's mind .... :yes:

• Like Like x 1
  20. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +683
    I get the point, I don't see a reason for SD to try and make it work as an offensive set. The Chargers O had no problem putting up points last year. The problem was the D stopping teams. Rivers runs awkwardly and god help us if they throw the ball to him and he gets his head rippped off by a LB or SS.

I just see it as teams were not ready for it because they had never seen it. MIA didn't do **** vs Balt in the playoffs. Once a good D knows what to look for and how to react to it, it is just another play.

21. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    OK ... if it is taking focus away from another area of concern .... good enough. I just don't see an issue .... area of concern for the D ... hey lookie!!! this might work as a surprise ....

Are people really paid well to see this ****? :unsure:

22. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    In the Coryell offense anything can happen, it's there and always has been. Lt is magic in it, we have all seen that out of the pro set.