1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Wilhelm is junk.

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by LT-Express, Sep 15, 2008.

1. LT-Express

LT-Express Bolttalk.com Janitor since 06' Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +434
    I dont know about all of you but I think its time we put Waters and Siler/Dobbins at MLB until Coop comes back.. I was willing to give Wilhelm a pass on the first game, but this is 2 games in a row he is making himself and our team look VERY bad.

2. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    Wilhelm and Smith are the 2 white dudes in the middle that can't tackle worth shiat. Time to replace them with the young bruthas! (sorry if I offend anyone here, not trying to get all racial up in this piece.....)

3. LT-Express

Ratings:
    +434

lol, we need to put Waters in and go and get a Maualuga or Jasper Brinkley in the middle in the first round.

In the second I would like to see Terrance Taylor DT from Michigan or Al Woods from LSU.

4. ChargerRay

ChargerRay #FireMcCoy #FirePagano Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +867
    Can't disagree. I want Waters and Cooper starting together in 2 weeks.

5. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    Borrowed from another thread:

6. nflhof

nflhof BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +96

I am tired of what Wilhem and Smith are doing. They are not holding their own and need to go sit the hell on the bench.

7. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    there's change definitely needed in the ILB spot but (take this for what its worth, its from Kevin Acee) the team feels wilhelm played better last game then the first game. And the team is concerned with how poor the ILB play was without Wilhelm last year

8. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    Now we're talking! Put in the young bruthas!

9. Gridreaper

Gridreaper BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +96
    ...According to Kevin Acee the team feels Wilhelm played better??? Then according to me...our middle is doomed!

10. EsDee_in_RI

EsDee_in_RI Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +133
    Oh no :unsure: This is not good. We cant have our safeties making all the plays.

Last year cooper lead the team in tackles at 108 and the closest safety I believe had somewhere in the 60's. Now we are 2 Games into the season and Weddle has more than the ILB's. Not by much but still.

11. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    We are missing Merriman and Cooper, who will be back in three games. We're playing teams we should beat soundly regardless in the next three games. We do poorly in these, then I'll think about wholesale changes.

12. sdchrger

sdchrger Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +820
    It seems that the fact that is lost amongst all the people calling out our ILB's is the play of the defensive line. Jamal has been a complete non-factor. If your nose tackle is not dominant in the 3-4, the entire run defense is compromised. I'm hoping that Jamal's play is a result of not playing at all in preseason and not a decline in his production due to age and where and tear.

Either way, if the oppenents o-line keeps getting to the second level it's going to be a long season for whoever we have in at ILB.

One other observation, IMO, Waters was the single biggest disappointment this preseason. The Chargers gave him every opportunity to move up on the depth chart and he was a dud at every turn. People who are calling for him to start must have been sleeping through July and August.

13. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    There can be no doubt that everything on both sides of the ball start on the line. If can't dominate up front then it doesn't matter how many skill players we throw out there

SHIIT!! DID I JUST QUOTE TRUMPET MAN???!!!

:lol::lol::lol:

14. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +500
    Yep, no doubt about it the (lack of) performance by the D line has hindered the play of the ILBs.

However, their crap play does not hide the fact that Wilhelm does not want to tackle. I've said it many times since the Panthers game. I've been replaying play after play watching him run himself away from as many plays as he can. When he gets close enough to make a tackle he makes this 'Greg Louganis' like swan dive to 'make it appear like' he is trying. He is not.

Either of Dobbins or Siler is an upgrade because neither is afraid, yes afraid, to get himself dirty/put his head where it hurts.

Cut Wilhelm now, we cannot afford to carry passengers period. Activate Waters and give him reps, get him in on special teams, ask him to hit people. Do it now. :icon_toast:

Cutting him also send a message to the others, u better be going 100% or u are outta here. :tup:

• Like Like x 1
  15. Gridreaper

Gridreaper BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +96
    ...I don't know if they can just cut Wilhelm yet, they're thin at LB, but I get sick to my stomach watching him feebly trying to be a man. Derek Smith is just as bad...why did AJ sign this idiot? Just because he wanted to play here so badly?

16. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    "I Told You Guys not to get rid of me....." :unsure:

[​IMG]

17. LT-Express

Ratings:
    +434

I agree and disagree as well. I agree that Jamal's play is weak right now, and that doesnt help, but watching Wilhelm tackle makes me ill. I wasnt referring to him making big plays but a sure handed tackle every once in awhile would be a start.

18. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Yeah, Matt's problems can't all be laid at the feet of the DL. I'll admit that I'm disappointed in their play, but he has just flat-out sucked to date.

19. bigmike.x.09

bigmike.x.09 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +280
    i dont really think wilhelm is total garbage, i think, much like jammer, he is very good when he has someone to compliment his abilities, cooper and wilhelm are like pb&j, jammer and cro, mac n cheese, see where im going with this?

20. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    How come there's so many gay posters in here?

Any explanation? :icon_shrug:

21. LT-Express

Ratings:
    +434
    And which gay posters are you referring to? :icon_shrug:

Thanks for the rep too!

22. reef shark

reef shark BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +49
    something about smooth wrists?

betting the bank account against the jets. this team will play with anger. anger leads to hate. hate leads to fear. fear leads to the dark side.

:bolt::bolt::bolt:

23. reef shark

reef shark BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +49
    on a more serious note

Forecast Monda Night Football
    PASSING
    Player QBR YDS TD INT
    Brett Favre 85.1 223.5 1.4 1.1
    RUSHING
    Player RUSH YDS YPC TD
    Thomas Jones 17.5 68.8 3.9 0.3
    Leon Washington 6.0 28.8 4.7 0.2
    Brett Favre 2.0 1.3 0.6
    RECEIVING
    Player REC RECYD YPC RECTD
    Jerricho Cotchery 4.4 58.6 13.3 0.2
    Laveranues Coles 4.5 51.8 11.5 0.3
    Chansi Stuckey 3.2 46.2 14.4 0.4
    Chris Baker 2.5 25.3 10.1 0.2
    DEFENSE
    Player SACK INT FUMR TO
    NYJ 1.3 0.8 0.7 1.5
    San Diego Chargers
    PASSING
    Player QBR YDS TD INT
    Philip Rivers 93.6 221.0 1.4 0.8
    RUSHING
    Player RUSH YDS YPC TD
    Darren Sproles 14.9 89.1 5.9 0.7
    LaDainian Tomlinson 12.0 67.8 5.6 0.7
    Mike Tolbert 1.7 3.3 1.9
    RECEIVING
    Player REC RECYD YPC RECTD
    Antonio Gates 4.2 55.0 13.1 0.5
    Chris Chambers 3.5 52.2 14.9 0.4
    Vincent Jackson 2.7 41.4 15.3 0.2
    Mike Tolbert 2.7 36.8 13.6 0.1
    DEFENSE
    Player SACK INT FUMR TO
    SD 1.5 1.1 0.8 1.9

Nov 6, 2005 NYJ 26, @SDG 31
    Jan 8, 2005 NYJ 20, SDG 17
    Sep 19, 2004 NYJ 34, SDG 28
    Nov 3, 2002 NYJ 44, SDG 13

CMP% YDS TD INT
    Favre 68.8 375 3 1
    San Diego Passing
    CMP% YDS TD INT
    Rivers 63.3 594 6 1

NY Jets Rushing
    CAR YDS AVG TD
    Jones 39 171 4.4 1
    Washin... 8 37 4.6 0
    San Diego Rushing
    CAR YDS AVG TD
    Tomlin... 31 123 4.0 0
    Sprole... 9 56 6.2 0

NY Jets Receiving
    REC YDS AVG TD
    Cotchery... 4 100 25.0 1
    Stuckey... 6 80 13.3 2
    San Diego Receiving
    REC YDS AVG TD
    Chambers... 5 127 25.4 3
    Gates 8 122 15.3 1

good luck all
    :bolt::bolt::bolt:

24. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +500
    Good news........ it appears everything is pointing towards Wilhelm being demoted. Looks like Dobbins is going to get his shot now. Someone even suggested when Coop comes back, he and Dobbins will be the ILBs. Bye bye Wilhelm and/or Smith.

This is such a positive move esp since AJ gave Wilhelm a nice extension ala Olivea. Another great message. Perform/try all the time or you are gone.

:tup:

25. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Just a hunch or you got a link? :icon_shrug:

26. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +500
    Kevin Acee mentions it in his mailbag with no source and Casey talked about it too over at chargers.com

The vitriol in Wilhelm's direction is having the desired effect.

Lemme get u some links...

• Like Like x 1
  27. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +500
    From;

http://www3.signonsandiego.com/sports/chargers/chargersmail/

1:03 p.m. Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Guy Gaduois - Wildomar, CA

Question:
    With the talent-rich lineup of the Chargers, the most glaring personnel area - ignored for the last three offseasons - is linebackers. Besides Merriman and Phillips, would any of our linebackers be starters on another squad? There's no other position weakness like that on the Chargers; any other positions, we have players who are starters and stars on any other team. Linebacker is the most glaring need, and we've got two weeks of game tape demonstrating the problem. This is the only area that I see as a demonstrable personnel failure by an otherwise incredible front office.

Answer:
    I think the Matt Wilhelm experiment might soon be over. Tim Dobbins had an INCREDIBLE game. When Cooper comes back and plays in nickel/dime, I'd say Dobbins gets Wilhelm's snaps. (No one has exactly told me that, but the tape don't lie.)

28. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +500
    Over at;

http://www.chargers.com/news/headlines/mcneill-practices-could.htm

Chargers linebacker Tim Dobbins saw significant action Sunday in Denver as he rotated with Matt Wilhelm at the “Mo” linebacker spot and recorded five tackles, including one for loss.

“I thought he did good things,” Turner said. “I thought he was very aggressive.”

Dobbins nearly delivered the defensive play of the day when he scooped up Jay Cutler’s fourth quarter “fumble.” The third-year veteran will likely continue to see his role on defense grow.

For me Turner saying he was aggressive, which is patently what Wilhelm is not says it all. Cut Wilhelm, get anyone in there for him and when Coop comes back send Smith to the pine.

29. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +500
    Oh and check out Acee's Sept 17 video snippet on the UT.... He is all over Dobbins now.

30. LT-Express

Ratings:
    +434
    I touted Dobbins big time out of Iowa St when he came out that he was a player.

Can someone please tell me why Waters is just holding his jock on Sunday's?