1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Wilhelm putting it together...

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by SanDiegoRon, Dec 22, 2007.

1. SanDiegoRon

SanDiegoRon BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +321
    those two ILB's got my gameball last week, it's good to see others have noticed the improvement, at the right time...

http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports/chargers/20071222-9999-2s22chargers.html

“I thought he finally put it all together,” Rivera said, referring to Wilhelm's play against Tennessee on Dec. 9, when he made a team-high 10 tackles and an interception while playing at a level unseen in his previous nine games.

“I'm getting to where I expected to be all along,” Wilhelm said.

This season has been a progression for both of the Chargers' inside linebackers, first-time starters taking over for longtime starters.
    But Stephen Cooper, who had played much more than Wilhelm over the previous two years, has been performing at a high level most of the season.

“He could easily have been a Pro Bowl player,” Rivera said this week of Cooper. “I've been very fortunate I have coached guys who have gone to the Pro Bowl. I had Jeremiah Trotter (in Philadelphia). I was around Lance Briggs and Brian Urlacher (in Chicago) the last couple years. What I've seen out of Coop is nothing short of their abilities. . . . He's taken his game to that level.”

2. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,929
    I mentioned it as well, Wilhelm has made vast improvements. Whereas before people we wondering why we got rid of Donnie for this guy, even if Wilhelm was better blitzing and at the line, because Wilhelm was so out of position. Now Wilhelm is finally playing up to this level and all those Donnie complaints have disappeared

3. OverVolt

OverVolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +18
    Yeah, Wilhelm has been playing better with each game...since he came back from his injury.
    Instead of have to think first, he's now reacting, which gets him into position to be in on allot more plays.
    I think he, Coopers improved play, and Cromartie starting is the reasons this D has gotten good enough to dominate again.

4. Boltdiehard

Boltdiehard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,171
    Keep up the good work coach Rivera. :tup: :bolt:

5. Electric Chair

Electric Chair Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +579
    His play must be taking some of the sting out of Donna's departure to the Chefs for our beloved TK.

• Like Like x 1
  6. RipTheJacker

RipTheJacker Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +152
    Wilhelm>Ankle Biter

• Like Like x 1
  7. rexy2006

rexy2006 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,842
    I knew all this stuff already. That's why I adopted him and he's my favoite player. He wasnt gettin no love. I gave him some love and look now! All he needed was a little TLC.

Glad the rest of the world is figuring this out now.

Matt Dubya is HOT.

Oh, and he plays awesome, too.:icon_mrgreen: :tup:

You go, boy.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Thread_Killer

Thread_Killer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +680
    That would be a fair statement.

:icon_rofl:

Wilhelm saved the Tennessee game with that great play on third down in crunch time, knocking the ball away with his back to the QB.

:tup:

9. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    This is the best defense we've had since at least 2000. Weddle and Cro are difference makers. Weddle has been in position to make 3-4 picks over the last month. He's very good in man coverage, and he's close to making a big impact. Cro is a freak. Wilhelm is starting to put it all together. Cooper has played great all year. These guys are all improvements over what we had last year.

10. TheLash

TheLash Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +715
    Donnie Who?:icon_shrug:

• Like Like x 1
  11. Electric Chair

Electric Chair Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +579
    Osmond.

12. sdbound

sdbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +942
    Who's not payed enough.

Who's not the center of attention.

Who's daddy didn't take him to the fair.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    Wilhelm rounding into form, Cromartie's emergence as a premiere corner, Weddle maturing in his rookie year and Hardwick's return have created a bloody minded dynamic on this team at exactly the right time. With Merriman and Castillo due to return soon and definitely for the playoffs, our odds for being a party to the AFC championship game have gotten remarkably good. We are now a match for any team in the league, including the Patsies. We bang them like we did the Titans and we win that match up.

14. Retired Catholic

Ratings:
    +347
    Wilhelm rounding into form, Cromartie's emergence as a premiere corner, Weddle maturing in his rookie year and Hardwick's return have created a bloody minded dynamic on this team at exactly the right time. With Merriman and Castillo due to return soon and definitely for the playoffs, our odds for being a party to the AFC championship game have gotten remarkably good. We are now a match for any team in the league, including the Patsies. We bang them like we did the Titans and we win that match up.

15. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    I'd love to get another crack at the Pats, but I honestly believe that Jax may be their undoing. I just don't believe that the Pats can handle the physicality of a game with the Jags. :no:

16. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    Didn't Wilhelm miss most of TC only to get re-injured in the Pats game? I think he's done well for himself and is proving to be better than what many people thought.

17. Retired Catholic

Ratings:
    +347
    I'd like another crack at them as well. We're as physical as anyone right now and I'd love to see the Blue Meanies knock their wienies in the dirt. No matter who we play, my shorts will be stained blue for the next six weeks.

18. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    I'd love nothing more than a rematch with foul weather in NE. How great would it be to put the end to the "PERFECT" season and then go on to win our first Lombardi.:tup::icon_toast::icon_party:

Damn, that only happens in fairy tails.

19. MONDO.

MONDO. Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +36
    Don't be so sure; this is our year, and this team is on point.

Time for payback Patsies, our D is better and team is hungrier. They won't be playing a real team for what almost a month. The Pats haven't looked so "best ever" for a few weeks now. Yeah, we played horrible last time around; so this time; Payback!

With the D swarming around for picks They won't be able to spread us out as much and the pressure will get there. On the other side we will be marching, running and hitting the man CHAMBERS deep.

BOLTS UP!
    :bolt:

20. !~BOLT~!

!~BOLT~! Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +205
    Absolutely, Coops probably my favorite player if I actually had to choose. He's a good dude too, solid muscle on that frame as well. I didn't realize how ripped that guy was till I met him, his necklace would cause a hernia around my neck.

21. OverVolt

OverVolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +18
    I suppose it's easy to be positive when we're beating up on a bunch of very weak teams...and that's all we've done this year.
    We won't know now good our team is until we get into the playoffs.
    We've beaten one team with a winning record this year, and half their starters were out...had they (the Colts) been healthy, that would have been a loss too.
    So I'm glad we are now taking care of business...but until the playoffs come, business is very light weight.
    You may all "pretend" to want to play the Pat's again, but in your hearts you know better...right now we're all hoping the Jag's can knock them off. I know I'd rather have the Jag's beat them...after all, the Jag's have allot less experience on the offensive side of the ball, they don't have any receivers that'll scare anyone, and their QB has no playoff experience. Stop that running game and it's over. Added to those facts, we could then get a home game for the Campionship...so anyone who thinks they want the Pat's up in Foxboro isn't thinking this through.
    To have to go to the East coast twice in two weeks would be allot to ask (first into Indy, then back for Pat's)

22. sdbound

sdbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +942
    That's the spirit! CHARGE!

Why are you here?

23. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    Wow, you're a ray of sunshine :icon_toast:

24. wrbanwal