1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Will a rookie salary cap change the NFL?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Workplay, Feb 10, 2010.

1. Workplay

Workplay scompl

Dec 24, 2009
    I wonder if teams will take bigger risks when there's a rookie salary cap. I think they will, especially with QBs and injury-prone prospects. I also think that there will be a much smaller microscope on team GMs about who they draft. Another thing that might happen is a whole lot more players will get cut. (JaMarcus Russell anybody?)

With a rookie salary cap, don't be surprized when 9 or 10 QBs are taken in the first round. :lol:
  2. BoltzRule

BoltzRule Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2006
    The main thing is it'd restore the value of a top pick. Teams tend to shy away from them now because of the contracts, but if they were reasonable we'd probably see more teams interested in moving up. Picking a bust with a top pick won't kill a team financially.

I'm not sure that teams would start making risky picks, the draft will still be the way to build/maintain a contending team, so you don't really want to waste picks.

Depending on what other changes occur it could also result in vets getting more money, more active free agency, and probably a more active draft (although they are pretty active as is).