1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Will Big Ben's deal affect talks with Rivers?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Thumper, Mar 5, 2008.

1. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    By Michael Lombardo
    SDBoltReport.com

Ben Roethlisberger has a $102 million contract extension. Eli Manning has a Super Bowl ring. Philip Rivers may not be able to get one without the other. How will Roethlisberger’s big deal and Eli Manning’s big season affect the Chargers’ contract negotiations with Rivers? Chargers expert Michael Lombardo breaks it down.

The Pittsburgh Steelers revealed today that Ben Roethlisberger has agreed to an eight-year, $102 million contract that includes $36 million in guarantees. Roethlisberger becomes only the seventh player in NFL history to sign a $100 million contract.

The announcement no doubt caught the attention of Jimmy Sexton, the agent for Philip Rivers. Rivers has only two years left on his rookie contract with base salaries of $5.75 million and $6.5 million and is in the preliminary stages of negotiating a new contract with the Chargers.

“We’re working on some extensions. We’ll let you know if anything happens,” A.J. Smith said.

Rivers and Roethlisberger were both selected early in the 2004 draft. Since that time, Roethlisberger has a higher passer rating (92.5 to 86.6) and more yards per game (208.4 to 185.8). However, Rivers boasts the higher winning percentage (78 percent to 72 percent).

It is reasonable to expect that Rivers will demand an annual salary comparable to Roethlisberger’s. Both have been similarly productive and have established themselves as clubhouse leaders and franchise signal callers. The biggest difference is that Roethlisberger owns a Super Bowl ring.

Eli Manning, who was drafted in the same class as Rivers and Roethlisberger, earned his Super Bowl ring last season, solidifying his status as a top-tier quarterback. Of the “big three” quarterbacks from the class of 2004, only Rivers has yet to win the Big Game.

“Three marquee guys. I said I would not be the least bit surprised if great things happened in the careers of these three guys if they get with the right team,” Smith said. “You’ve got Ben with a Super Bowl ring, you’ve got Eli with a Super Bowl ring, and Philip Rivers with no ring. Two out of three.

“I’m hoping that when I said ‘marquee’ and ‘special things are going to happen,’ I hope four or five years from now that our guy is not the only one. I’m rooting for him.”

Four or five years from now, Rivers will be working under a new contract that has yet to materialize. As if Roethlisberger’s nine-figure deal didn’t make negotiations complicated enough, the Chargers will also have to deal with five other core players who will be free agents after the 2009 season: Shawne Merriman, Marcus McNeill, Luis Castillo, Chris Chambers and Vincent Jackson.

The Chargers are feeling the pressure to lock up their franchise quarterback in a pricey market, and to win a Super Bowl before a mass exodus of talent occurs in the not-too-distant future. Rivers is feeling the pressure to win a ring like his classmates, and to snag the security of a long-term extension before another debilitating knee injury makes the issue moot.

Will all of the building pressure cause an already combustible situation to explode? Chargers fans will have to wait for a break in the negotiations before any resolution is found.

In the meanwhile, Bolts backers can take solace in knowing that things could be worse…the Chargers could have drafted J.P. Losman.

2. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    Maybe somewhat but Big Ben, out of him, Sheli and Rivers, has not only been a starter longer but has won a super bowl and has more playoff victories then Rivers has. So Big Ben's might be the highest point for Rivers but the bar is now set pretty damn high for Rivers to sign - Chargers might not have a $100 million man but their offer will have to be pretty big

3. Chargers-Superhero

Chargers-Superhero Just win the Damn SB !!!

Ratings:
    +117
    Rivers won't get a deal like Ben, unless he leads us to the promised land.

If I was Rivers I'd keep negotiating over the next 2 years since there is a very good chance we could win not one but two SB's in the next 2 years. :tup::yes:

• Like Like x 1
  4. EsDee_in_RI

EsDee_in_RI Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +133
    Very true, he has to win first....The cast is all around him. He has to capitalize if he wants the big money.:tup:

5. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    Exactly. AJ should try and get him signed long term NOW!!!

With that said... he'll have to lead us there and win it!!!

6. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Like the article said, any time that there is a big contract signed, other players, particularly those playing that position, take notice. PR has to help us produce a championship to get the money that Big Ben just got. Until then, AJ & Co. have that argument to hold over his agent, regardless of individual stats. He'll get a fair deal, but I don't think that AJ will break the bank to keep anyone.

I think our guys like being in SD & many are willing to structure their contracts accordingly. So far the FO has done well. We'll have to wait & see how it continues with so many big names on the roster now.

7. EsDee_in_RI

EsDee_in_RI Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +133
    Your right...the players do like being on the team. The great thing about our big names on the roster is that they made their names as a charger. AJ has made great decisions picking players that fit the mold for the team. Im sure most of us have faith that if someone leaves AJ will pick the right guy to fill that spot and they will make a name for themselves too.

8. Thunderstruck

Thunderstruck BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +272
    Hate to tell you this, but there are quarterbacks in this league who have gotten big-time money without accomplishing as much as PR has accomplished in his career already.

So if you're saying he needs to win a Superbowl to qualify for a huge contract, no, that's not true. He already will receive a fat contract just based on what he's already done. Hell, he's gonna make $9 million per the next two seasons.

I'm pretty confident that all PR has to do is prove his knee is healthy.

9. Chargers-Superhero

Chargers-Superhero Just win the Damn SB !!!

Ratings:
    +117

Big time money, and Big Ben money are 2 different things. If he wants the monster contract he will have to produce a SB win, otherwise it will be a big contract, bigger than most other QB's in the league, but not as big as the contract Roethlisberger got.

Super Bowl champion is a HUGE barganing chip in negotiations.