1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Will Bolts jump into the free agent pool?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Thumper, Mar 14, 2008.

1. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    By Michael Lombardo
    SDBoltReport.com

If A.J. Smith is going to make a move in free agency, now is the time to strike. The expensive, opening wave of free agency has begun to ebb and there are still talented role players on the market. Smith may sign a couple of players to one-year deals, as to not disrupt his ability to re-sign his own upcoming free agents. Here are the available players who make the most sense.

Running back Anthony Thomas entered the NFL in the same draft class as LaDainian Tomlinson, actually edging out LT for Offensive Rookie of the Year honors. Although their careers have been on inverted paths since then, Thomas still has the size (6’2”, 221 pounds) and power to be a serviceable backup.

Thomas could replace Michael Turner as the power back in San Diego’s rotation. He is also an underrated receiver, having caught at least 15 passes in five of his seven seasons. For his career, he has 1,044 carries for 3,891 yards (3.7 ypc) and 23 rushing TDs.

Another offensive free agent who could fill a void—or a doorway, for that matter—is L.J. Shelton. The 6’6”, 345-pounder entered the League as the first-round pick of the Arizona Cardinals in 1999. He spent the first six years of his career in the desert before spending one season with the Cleveland Browns and two more with the Miami Dolphins. He has started 125 of 130 games in his career, including every game each of the last three seasons.

Shelton is nimble enough as a pass protector to play left tackle, and powerful enough as a run blocker to play right tackle. The Chargers need such a versatile player to provide depth behind Marcus McNeill and Jeromey Clarey. Last season’s backups, Roman Oben and Shane Olivea, have both been released within the last five months.

On the defensive side of the ball, the Chargers’ top needs are in the secondary. After losing Drayton Florence to the Jacksonville Jaguars and Marlon McCree to the Denver Broncos, the Bolts are in the market for some veteran backups.

On safety prospect to watch is Chris Crocker. SDBoltReport.com’s Amberly Richardson wrote an article earlier detailing why Crocker is an excellent fit with the Chargers. This is still true nearly a month later.

At cornerback, the Chargers could look to pluck from a division foe by targeting Kansas City Chiefs cornerback Benny Sapp. In his four years with the Chiefs, Sapp has 103 tackles, 13 pass breakups and two interceptions. He is a bit undersized (5’9”, 190 pounds) but has ample experience as a nickel back, which is the role he will fill with the Chargers.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    NO.

****This has been another quality post brought to you by RTL...We now return you to your regularly scheduled speculation thread****

3. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    I just posted this article, but I don't disagree. You may be right and we may not dip into free agency at all, but we already know that we don't do flashy free agent signings. However, if there is value there and a free agent can fill a need at a reasonable price, I think AJ would at least kick the wheels to see if it's a match for the Bolts.

I'm waiting to see what the Raiders do with LaMont Jordan. I thought he would bust out once he had a chance to start after his time with the Jets, but he had the unfortunate luck to be picked up by the Raiders. That team is such a mess, everyone that goes there fails.

If the Raiders release Jordan, which is a real possibility, I'd love to bring him in to back up LT. I still think he's got plenty in the tank and can you blame him for failing in Oakland? Everyone fails there.

Other than that, I don't see any free agents worth mentioning, but I'm sure AJ is aware if there are any second level free agents that could help us.

4. Electric Chair

Electric Chair Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +579
    Does Lombardo even follow the Chargers? AJ isn't going to fuq with next years compensation for Turner and Florence.

People actually pay for this stuff???

5. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    Good point, if we don't pick up any free agents, it's sure comp picks for Turner and Florence.

Actually I do think Lombardo does a good job writing about the Bolts overall, there just ain't a lot to write about at the moment, so sometimes he has to invent things to talk about. Nothing new.

6. PhilipRivers#1

PhilipRivers#1 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +464
    We don't need no stinking running back !!

SPROLES BABY !!! :icon_banana::abq2::icon_toast::bolt:

7. turbo_turtle

turbo_turtle In Disguise

Ratings:
    +890
    Just my opinion here.

Why not bring in these guys for a look see.

L.J. Shelton and Benny Sapp.

It would not hurt to just kick their tires and see what they have to offer the Chargers.

If they want to be Chargers then give them a contract.

Our Draft choices then narrow to a select few instead of a wider need areas of concern.

That was my thoughts.

8. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    If LT or sproles goes down, who's gonna be our back up? We need 3 running backs.

9. turbo_turtle

turbo_turtle In Disguise

Ratings:
    +890
    We Have Buckley and Race as Backup RB's.

Just have to see who will be our #3 RB from those 2.

10. Electric Chair

Electric Chair Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +579
    I would MUCH rather have an extra third and an extra fourth next year than aging, broken down scrubs. AJ has stated such as well. As I remember, his quote was something along the lines of "it's a great way to double up on picks" in regards to his approach to free agency. I also remember him stating that he expects to receive a third and a fourth next year but I don't have the time to look up the link. Any free agent signings would put that in jeopardy.

11. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    To the people who think it is an absolute to have 3 RB's.

Think BEEF godddammit.

Think BEEF. :bolt:

PS...I am sure I willl get infracted for using GODs name in vain.

12. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    I'd draft our beef and save the draft picks. None of the FA's mentioned are significantly better enough to justify the cost of their acquisition, either in cap room or lost picks.

13. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    I hear you but this site and the weenies infecting it has permeated the skin.

It is no longer acceptable to disagree with someone thanks to asssssholes who are whiners to the mods (and who knee jerk after every little fart).

Chargers.com Part 2 has arrived.

"Where are the secret threads?"

14. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    Jesus wept

15. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036

cause we didn't jump???

:icon_huh::icon_huh::icon_huh:

16. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    I think AJ will wait and see what he gets in the draft then work on contract extensions for Rivers and others.

If needed... we'll see another big free agent signing in mid season!!! :bolt:

17. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Weren't you repping Cherilous in your sig until recently? :icon_shrug:

Now it's Laws if Albert isn't there? :icon_huh:

Dude, I cannot keep up with your flip-flopping. :icon_tease:

18. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    I'm sure. Just pokin' at ya! :icon_tease:

I think I like Nicks a little better than Baker, & definitely better than Cherilous. Laws has potential, but he's going to be a work in progress. I like Albert because he could play RG or RT. And I'm still intrigued by drafting Balmer & moving Igor inside. :yes:

19. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    It's the same as Cherilous - nothing solid, guess I have that "Michael Chertoff" gut-feeling kinda thing. :lol:

I like Balmer better than Laws - he seems more athletic. Laws' technique needs a LOT of work, IMO. Cherilous doesn't have good footwork & is slow. I think Nicks has a much better work ethic than Fonoti did - he's supposed to be a gym rat. Just a blurb I caught on one draft site.

Right now, I'd have to say that if Albert falls to 27, we grab him. Otherwise, my order goes something like Nicks, Balmer, Kenny Phillips, DRC, & Talib. It all depends on who falls down the board, ya know? And what AJ does to add/change our current picks.

20. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Any word on why he was banned? Hadn't heard about it.

I watched Balmer more in games than Law's, so have gotten a better feel for him. Law's combine #s look good, but I watched Balmer make huge plays game time. It may just be a matter of who I've seen more of, but I like what I've seen of Balmer. He could add more weight for the middle or move Igor into the middle.

Cherilus looked pretty out of control in the cone drills at the Combine. Feel Nicks plays more in control, better balance, & a nastier attitude.

Yeah, I know how you feel about Stewart. I like the kid, too, but don't think that RB is our first need. I think Phillips would be a nice pick-up. Could fit well with Weddle at safety.

21. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Ya never know with some coaches - don't know anything about Pelini. Doesn't sound too diabolical to me. :lol:

22. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    Suspending people for being noisy at a party? Next it will be wearing shirts that are too loud. No word of any fighting or assaults, just blowing off some steam. These guys have had to hibernate because of this year's winter. Loud Party? Grouchy bears are why they tell people to stay out of the woods in early spring. They're a bit testy when they finally come out of their dens.