1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Will Cason keep his promise?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by powayslugger, Jul 19, 2008.

1. powayslugger

powayslugger Feckless Slappy

Ratings:
    +276
    Didn't Cason make the promise that he'd be here for opening day of camp? I mean I guess he's got some time but I haven't heard anything about getting a contract done. Has anyone else?

AJ... git R dun.

2. Boltjolt

Boltjolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402
    Read that he should be a done deal this weekend. Im not really worried about it.

3. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    PS where have you been man! Welcome back!

I dont know what he promised, though in AJ I trust!

4. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

He promised to write and article about how sexy you look with a shaved head and get it posted in the Union-Tribune!!!! :lol: :lol: :icon_tease:

5. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    No worries. The contract will get done and he'll be in camp on time.

6. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,930
    Just relax and have faith in AJ

7. SanDiegoRon

SanDiegoRon BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +321
    Chargers | Cason only draft choice unsigned
    Sat, 19 Jul 2008 08:02:07 -0700

Kevin Acee, of the San Diego Union-Tribune, reports San Diego Chargers first-round draft pick CB Antoine Cason is the team's only unsigned draft pick. The Chargers and Cason's agent have not spoken substantively in more than a week.

Both sides could resume talks, however, according to sources, after the New York Jets signed first-round draft pick TE Dustin Keller. Keller was the 30th overall selection in the NFL Draft, while Cason was the 27th overall pick.

*** he'll be there Saturday... and so will I... :abq2:

8. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    He'll be there within the first week. Those be signed in time for camp promises are absurd anyway. That's the kind of talk the fans and the press eat up, but business is business.

9. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,930
    While i have faith in AJ, if they haven't had substantive talks in a week then I wonder if he'll be in when rookies report or if shooting for when everybody reports is a better goal.

10. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Get him signed ASAP, AJ. WE need him a lot more than Tribble. :yes:

I feel confident that he'll be in camp by the time that the vets report on Friday.

11. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    He will get signed. They are just going to use the #30pick to gauge if the urrent offer is proper. Eveything is in place but th ink on the line.

12. powayslugger

powayslugger Feckless Slappy

Ratings:
    +276
    I just read that he doesn't think he'll make day #1.

13. WonderSlug

WonderSlug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +851
    Only 6 out of 32 first rounders are signed, and none of them are DBs.

The #30 pick just signed, and terms aren't yet available.

According to Joe McRugby at CMB, this was the main holdup for the first rounders:

• Like Like x 1
  14. Retired Catholic

Ratings:
    +347
    Quit boffing Cason. Business is business. These guys are not our toys, not our surrogates or the owner's chattel. Football is not some vicarious thrill for them, like it is for fans. It is their future lives and the physical catastrophe they risk to ripen them. Their agents all know about Jim Otto, Daryl Stingley and Greg Cook. They are all a step away from professional oblivion and all of us best remember that, as we experience the adrenalin rush they give us. They provide thrills that are just memories for guys like me who live with the consequences, but still enjoy the memories they trigger. I don't begrudge them their instinct for self preservation and a life off the streets.

15. Osmekaman

Osmekaman BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +31
    Totally agree. :tup: Superb post.
    This could be his one and only chance to look after his family for the rest of his life. I just wish players wouldn't come across as the innocent party .."it's all my agent's fault" as they shrug, eyes rolling to the sky.
    he might come to regret it though, when Tribble beats him out and makes the Pro Bowl!!
    :lol:

16. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Cason should get his butt into camp ASAP if he wants to be a big part of our championship run this year. But Tribble won't beat him out - doubt that Tribble will survive the cut.

17. Osmekaman

Osmekaman BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +31
    No doubt, Tribble was the head scratcher in the draft. Surely a gamble at OL or DT could have been more worthwhile. It's not like AJ to throw away a pick...so, who knows.

18. SanDiegoRon

SanDiegoRon BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +321
    We WILL find out shortly...

Cason gets final offer on contract

By Kevin Acee

UNION-TRIBUNE STAFF WRITER

Jully 22 2008

The Chargers and representatives for Antoine Cason are not terribly far apart on their desired terms for the first-round draft pick's contract.

But there are key discrepancies regarding the compensation. And there is a difference of opinion on the status of negotiations. Cason's agent, Ron Slavin, said yesterday, “We're still working on it.” Meanwhile, Chargers General Manager A.J. Smith indicated the team's present offer is its final one.

“Antoine and his agent, Ron Slavin, are viewing our offer,” Smith said. “When they call us and say they like it, they will be in. If they don't like it, they will stay away. They are both making a big business decision right now. Talks have been great; (the) relationship is great. I hope things work out. If not, we will be disappointed and move on.”

Cason, a cornerback picked 27th overall, missed the first day of rookies working out yesterday. There remains optimism a deal will be done by the first full-squad workout Friday, but the fact is that only six first-rounders leaguewide have signed.

*** don't mess with "my boy".... Antoine - it's fish or cut bait time.... :lol:

19. WonderSlug

Ratings:
    +851
    If Cason's confident in his ability to produce at the NFL level, there's no reason not to sign it. AJ has shown time and again, he's willing to pay handsomely for players that consistently produce, as long as they and/or their agents don't try to fark with him. :yes:

20. AnteaterCharger

Ratings:
    +2,930
    everyone thinks they're smarter then AJ and can beat him at his own game
    and sooner or later everyone realizes its not a good idea to cross da boss

21. Charger Dave

Charger Dave Dead account

Ratings:
    +1,028
    I always get a kick out of the line "its out of my hands" from players - as though we are supposed to forget who his agent is supposed to be working FOR and who has the end say on contract matters. Funny stuff - but beware, the days of the great gullible unwashed masses are now restricted to just democrats - half of us still understand the free enterprise system. Duckin' and a runnin'

• Like Like x 1
  22. Retired Catholic

Ratings:
    +347
    If I remember right, Tribble has experience as a pretty good return guy. If he works out, he might wind up taking Gregory's spot on the roster. Cason will be in camp soon. He'll make his mark with this team, but he's not an urgent addition to the roster. Having him makes us deeper and probably better in the future, but his early arrival won't change our season one bit. His slightly late arrival won't change it either. If he's talented enough the crack the roster of anyone already on it, then a few days here or there won't matter.The devil is in the details of the contracts, especially with the status of the CBA and a player would be foolish not to allow his agent time to get it all correct.

23. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    He's making an impression on AJ & Co. - possibly not an all-together favorable one. While I certainly don't blame him for making certain that he's getting a fair deal, he needs to remember that this is a tough roster to crack. :yes:

My advice? Get yer *** into camp & start bustin' it to help us win the Lombardi. :tup:

24. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    TRANSLATION: Agent will cave in to AJ's demands. :yes:

25. WonderSlug

Ratings:
    +851
    The Giants just signed their first rounder, who is also a DB and only a few draft slots away from Cason.

So, that should help a lot.