1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Will Cleo be the starter in Miami?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Thumper, Aug 14, 2007.

1. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    It seems that Lemon is outperforming Trent Green in Miami. They're both ex-Chargers, but I'd love to see Cleo win the job.

Here's the article

LEMON AIDING HIS CAUSE

Something might be happening on the way to Trent Green's coronation as the Dolphins' starter in 2007.

Green might not win the job.

More specifically, he might lose it to Cleo Lemon, who arguably is outperforming Green in camp -- and who definitely outplayed Green in the preseason opener. Green completed only six of 15 passes for 60 yards in a full half of action on Saturday night, and was booed by a sellout crowd. Lemon, in contrast, completed five of six throws for 56 yards.

An important factor to keep in mind with Lemon is that he was traded to the Dolphins in 2005 without the knowledge of the Chargers' coaching staff in one of the many moves that widened the rift between G.M. A.J. Smith and former head coach Marty Schottenheimer.

Assuming that former San Diego offensive coordinator Cam Cameron felt the same way about Lemon as Schottenheimer did, then Lemon has a better chance to be the starter than anyone realizes, given that Cameron is now the head coach of the Dolphins.

But why, then, did the Fins continue to pursue Green? Our guess is that the team hoped that Green would be even better than Lemon, but that (for whatever reason) Lemon is potentially getting the better of it for now.

The more compelling angle to this story is that Lemon is playing for a shot to be the starter elsewhere, since he's due to become an unrestricted free agent in March. We're told that Lemon has turned down a multi-year offer from the Dolphins, opting instead to take his chances.

And he doesn't need to start every game and lead the Dolphins to the playoffs to become an attractive option for teams looking to improve the position in 2008. There have been plenty of quarterbacks over the years who have gotten paid a lot of money based on a handful of solid appearances -- since that proven (albeit limited) performance at the NFL level is more of a track record than any draft pick can ever claim.

The ultimate irony here could be that Lemon develops into one of the only really good quarterbacks the Dolphins have had since Dan Marino retires . . . only to watch Lemon walk away.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

• Like Like x 1
  2. exodus

exodus Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +133
    I think it's just a little early to compare Cleo to Marino...

3. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    I see your point. :lol:

That is a little ridiculous, but it may end up to be true that Lemon is the best QB they've had in a while. :yes:

4. turbo_turtle

turbo_turtle In Disguise

Ratings:
    +890
    My opinion is:

If Lemon out performs Green in the Preseason then The Dolphins should start lemon and have Green as lemons backup.

If Lemon leads the Dolphins to a winning record to possibly the playoffs then offer him a big contract as the starter.

That would be a reward for the performance Lemon can give to the Dolphins.

5. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    I hope Cleo gets the gig, heaven knows he's paid his dues.:bolt:

6. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    Word! :tup:

7. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    Considering Trent Green is one hit away from the drool brigade, Lemon has his best opportunity to showcase his stuff.

Several fans did not see this dudes potential and from Day One (with the exception of one TC pass I saw) Lemon has impressed the **** out of me. Dude had the best wheels and gun of anyone on the team and I saw them all throwing side by side (Flutie, Rivers, Brees, Lemon).

The best arguement I have heard against him was "yeah but it was only against scrubs"....pffft.... effing weak. Lemon demonstrated he belongs by blowing the whole staff away that one preseason in QB completion %'s but nevermind those stats.

Now the brother is on the verge of starting and that is what I said all along and now those who doubted can watch what this guy has got. If he gets protection, he will get it done. Mark my words. Cleo Lemon is the ****. :yes:

He can start on my or any team in the NFL and do well.

8. Boltjolt

Boltjolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402
    Getting Green was just a bad move by Cam. He was showing his downside last season. He wont be any better this year with a worse OL. This is Cleo's best shot to be a starter and if he is...then it really makes Cam look foolish for trading for Green.

9. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    I have shared your appreciation of Lemon as a QB for some time. I have written Mssrs. Acee and Trotter about this more than once and gotten skepticism in reply. I had no real doubts that Lemon would emerge as a starter sooner or later. The guy never got his due from most fans or the press here. If Miami doesn't start him, their season will look like a satirical version of a midieval map-"Beyond Here There Be Fools".

:tup:

10. Boltjolt

Ratings:
    +402
    Dont be fooled......Trent Green is on the downside of his career and as Trumpy said...is one good pop away from never-never land and the other QB on their roster is a rookie.

So, it isnt that Lemon is coming of age......its the guy they traded for has come of age......literally, and is about done as a player.

IMO if Lemon cant beat out Green this year, he will NEVER be a stater because this is his best shot and John Beck( the rookie) is only going to get better from here.

11. exodus

exodus Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +133
    well, it's lucky for trent we're not playing him this year. I think we've put him out for the season twice already. Man, the chargers have not been kind to Trent Green over the years...:icon_shrug:

12. LittleTrain

LittleTrain BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +86
    Hope the best for Lemon. Kinda a cool twist is that Green was a SD castoff that later slowly developed with the Rams to get a starting gig. Now he might be replaced by another Charger castoff that is slowing developing into a starting QB....under a former Charger OC.

With all the QB problems SD has had since Fouts, who would have guessed the Chargers would be having former QBs starting all over the place.

13. Boltjolt

Ratings:
    +402
    Yes, and dont forget that Billy Joe Tolliver went on to start elsewhere :lol:

14. MtlBoltsFan

MtlBoltsFan Jesse Ventura/Howard Stern 2016

Ratings:
    +383
    Well Thumper I think we have found some betting material :abq2:

15. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    Mind as will let him start.

It's not like the Fins will do anything this season.
    They got nobody else.
    And he's worked with Cam before.

16. LittleTrain

LittleTrain BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +86
    Rivers, Brees and Lemon were all on the same squad...not that we really cashed in on that because of some strange circumstances. Now if we would just trade Volek, maybe some other sucker team would start him. :)

17. WonderSlug

WonderSlug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +851
    If Cleo Lemon didn't look better than Trent Green at this stage, I would say Lemon is just that, a LEMON.

Cleo has three significant advantages over Trent right now:

1.) Two years in Miami and thus, much more familiarity with the team.

2.) Great familiarity with Cam's offense, including terminology and schemes, due to his days with the Chargers.

3.) Trent's only been in Miami for slightly more than 2 months.

So, 2 years in Miami, plus 2 full offseasons and 1 entire regular season under Cam's system in San Diego better make Cleo the more polished QB right now.

18. WonderSlug

Ratings:
    +851
    We won't trade Volek, unless AJ gets a decent draft pick for him. Like a 4th rounder or better.

Volek will be the #2 this season, and then leave to be a starter somewhere else. Whitehurst moves to the #2 spot at that point.

19. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    I was just thinking if Lemon was green he'd be a lime......:lol:

20. WonderSlug

Ratings:
    +851
    His name could be Corona Lime! :lol:

21. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    I hated to see us trade off Lemon. I hope he does well in Miami. Go Cleo!:tup:

22. MONDO.

MONDO. Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +36
    I think he has a huge upside, I was surprised to see him go and I think he is going to do as well, well as his line can block for him. If he doesn't do well this year I think it will be more a reflection of his shittttttty team not his play.

I don't know that if we had kept him he could take Whitehurst's spot, I like him and think he can develop into a solid number 2 I would love for next year when Volek moves on to sign a veteran with superbowl experience maybe a Kurt Warner or even better Trent Dilfer, someone to give us that veteran playoff insight.

All in all I hope Lemon, doesn't end up tagged a lemon_

23. reef shark

reef shark BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +49
    hey ppl

the kid from byu would start over lemon. the dolphins r terrible.

later