1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Will Dobbins be cut?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Thumper, May 3, 2008.

1. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    This article seems to suggest it.

Excessive Depth Could Lead to Surprise Cut

By Michael Lombardo

Following last weekend’s draft and the subsequent signing of left tackle L.J. Shelton, the Chargers roster is once again stocked. While that’s good news for Bolts Backers, it could spell trouble for players trying to win spots on the backend of the roster. Team expert Michael Lombardo identifies one recent draft pick who’s on the bubble.

Tim Dobbins is a ferocious hitter and a force on special teams. He has been compared by general manager A.J. Smith to fellow special-teams standouts Kassim Osgood and Hanik Milligan. Milligan represented the Chargers in the Pro Bowl following the 2005 season and Osgood took his place in Hawaii after the subsequent seasons.

The release of Milligan following his Pro Bowl season tells one thing about Smith: he believes special-teams players can be replaced. That is especially true now that the coverage units are loaded, with Osgood being flanked by two-time Special Teams Player of the Year Carlos Polk and second-year man Brandon Siler, who led the coverage teams in tackles as a rookie with 21.

That is not to imply Dobbins is expendable. He tallied 15 tackles on special teams last season and filled in for Matt Wilhelm when he went down with a leg injury early in the season. Unfortunately for Dobbins, his two games as a fill-in came against Tom Brady and Brett Favre, both of whom exposed him in pass coverage.

Will Dobbins follow Marty Schottenheimer out the door?
    Jonathan Daniel/Getty
    Dobbins' inability to work into the defensive rotation could ultimately cost him his job. San Diego’s inside linebacker corps is as deep as any in the league, a problem only exasperated by the signing of 12-year veteran Derek Smith and the return to health of 2007 third-round pick Anthony Waters.

Dobbins was given a puncher’s chance when starting inside linebacker Stephen Cooper was suspended for the first four games of the season due to a violation of the NFL’s substance-abuse policy. Nonetheless, the Chargers are perfectly comfortable starting Wilhelm and Smith while Waters and Siler come off the bench until Cooper is reinstated.

It’s possible the Chargers will move Dobbins in a trade prior to the start of the season. A.J. Smith learned from his mentor, the late John Butler, how to move expendable pieces and turn something into nothing. That’s what Butler did as general manager of the Chargers in 2002, trading WR Trevor Gaylor and TE Steve Heiden for a pair of seventh-round picks.

Smith used the pick acquired in the Gaylor trade to land Shane Olivea, who started 57 games for the Chargers between 2004-07. He used to pick from the Heiden trade to acquire G Kelvin Garmon in a mid-season trade from the Dallas Cowboys. Garmon started five games for the Bolts in 2002 and all 16 the following season.

If you’re counting, that’s 71 starts along the offensive line that Smith received in exchange for players who would have been training camp casualties, anyway.

It appears Dobbins is set to join the like of Gaylor and Heiden. If Smith can get something in return for Dobbins’ services, expect the Chargers to pull the trigger. If not, anticipate the Bolts cutting the cord sometime between the first round of cuts and the return of Cooper in Week 5.

2. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    That's a shame. Dobbins is a real downhill thumper & I had high hopes for him. He's gonna have to work his butt off to stick around, it would seem.

3. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    This is just one writers opinion. He does make some points, and Dobbins may get cut eventually, but at this point I take it with a grain of salt. At the same time I realize that there are going to be surprise cuts with all the talent that we have on this team.

4. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    The fact that he looked so bad in coverage last year is not going to aid him. On the other hand, he IS a good ST player & there's the possibility that Osgood could go.

Having all of this talent is a great problem to have!! :tup:

5. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +504
    I've been thinking Dobbins will one of the odd men out come cut time. He embarassed himself when in on defense. Polk is another in jeopardy, as is probably one of Gregory/Gordon. Apparently Pinnock might be an injury related cut ala Steve Foley.

6. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    maybe the AJ has been keeping up on the inside info from all the sewing circles, he figures he better stock up on LBs given the Merriman rumor of his impending suspension

:lol:

7. sdchrger

sdchrger Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +820
    I would guess that either Polk or Dobbins is gone. They both are ST standouts. Polk is more versatile in that he can play inside or outside. However, he can't stay healthy. I thought Dobbins would figure into the ILB mix but he was horrible early in the season last year when he played for Wilhelm. He looked lost out there.

8. MtlBoltsFan

MtlBoltsFan Jesse Ventura/Howard Stern 2016

Ratings:
    +383
    Derek Smith is garbage and yes Dobbins will be cut. We are going nowhere with Wilhelm and Smith and the same applies for Wilhelm and Cooper. Chargers defense is overrated by so many people. The sideline coverage/pass rush is great but the run defense ain't what it used to be and the interior of the defense is extremely vulnerable, as are the flanks. The underneath coverage has been piss poor since Donnie left. There are lots of ways to beat this defense. Every single starter must stay healthy to have a chance and given that we have two chinadolls on the defensive line that is not likely. Also forget about interior penetration on 3rd downs. The inside linebackers are too stupid and physically too slow to recognize and chase down the screen... how many times have we been abused by big screens? They don't have the nutsack to blow up the lead blocker either which is why we need Waters or Siler in there. The defense has a long way to go.

9. sdchrger

Ratings:
    +820
    Funny how you can slobber all over Cottrell in one breath and trash the defense in the next. The Chargers have a top 5 defense and yet you make them sound like the Raiders defense. Our pass coverage and ability to create turnovers improved 10x last season with all those crappy lbs on the field.

Is this defense the '85 bears, no, but they are a strong and young unit that will continue to improve,

10. Shamrock

Shamrock Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,243
    Dobbins does get some play on the defense. He, Polk and Siler were part of that "Headbangers Ball" goal line package. The three of them just rocked the line of scrimmage.

I'd rather keep Dobbins than a scrub like Osgood who has absolutely no chance of contributing at his listed position.

11. MtlBoltsFan

Ratings:
    +383
    That has nothing to do with what I said. Cottrell is a gawd because he doesn't put the defense into passive positions and doesn't say things like "the back four don't matter in our defense" like Wade did. Ted can't help Cooper tackle and pursue properly, Ted can't help Wilhelm take proper angles, Ted can't increase both those guys on-field awareness in pass drops, Ted can't help Igor pass rush, Ted can't help Igor play lower to the ground and disengage, Ted can't make Jamal 4 years younger and healthy, Ted can't make Luis healthy, etc... Ted is a gawd and turns manure into caviar. You all trashed him hard :yes: Chargers gave up 17.8 ppg last year and let another guy break the single game rushing record against them. People like you blamed Ted and then the players came to Ted's defense saying "we played like a bunch of women"... maybe because they are women? A great defense stymies a great offense. The Chargers shut down Chicago, Oakland, depleted Denver, KC, etc... and got abused by all the great offenses last year. Great, you are supposed to be able to shut down ****** offenses, but if you can't negate a great passing attack or great rushing attack, your defense will go nowhere when it matters.

12. Showmeyourbolt

Showmeyourbolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +192

How in the hell did we manage to get to the AFC Championship game?

13. MtlBoltsFan

Ratings:
    +383
    BTW the star of our defense is Shaun Phillips. He makes the defense run.

The defense should be ok if everyone stays healthy. Weddle will do wonders in zone and shadowing an opposing TE compared to McCree and Cason will be an upgrade over Florence especially in the run defense department and it is CRITICAL for a nickelback to tackle. Think of all those three wide receiver sets where the QB zips it out to the sideline and the X receiver blocks the nickelback... Florence would never take on and defeat those blocks. Florence doesn't even use his arms when he tackles... he is one of the worst if not the worst tackling DB in the league. So many teams are doing this and it is important to blow up the play. Luis was an animal his first two seasons but for some reason I think he is damaged goods. If he can revert to his old self I will have nothing but praise for the guy as I genuinely loved him two-three years ago.

14. loweezy

loweezy BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +45
    Michael Lombardo sucks.

Just more speculation from sdboltreport... If you throw enough **** against the wall, something's bound to stick.

• Like Like x 1
  15. loweezy

loweezy BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +45
    I don't think teams game plan against Shaun as much as they do Shawne. =P

16. MtlBoltsFan

Ratings:
    +383
    Three divisional opponents were a combined 15-33, miracle win vs Indy during the regular season, played a lot of crappy defenses where LT is effective. I don't care how the Chargers perform against bad teams, I care how they perform against good teams and least year they performed poorly against good teams.

17. sdchrger

Ratings:
    +820
    That's not true. You deserve credit for being his most vocal supporter just like BFISA was Norv's. I was onboard with Ted all season. I never was part of that pile-on gang. :no:

His defense wasn't nearly as vulnerable on the back end as Wade's was. Also while everyone was lamenting the fact that Ted didn't rush 5 to 6 every passing play, I was pleased with the ball hawking approach to defense.

One thing that Wade was better than Ted at was getting Merriman and Phillips in mismatches on blitz packages. Not nearly as many "cheap" sacks in 2007.

18. Boltjolt

Boltjolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402
    Yeah and i think Lombardo is an idiot for the most part. However, i can see Dobbins getting cut or traded. He is burried on the ILB depth chart and was exposed big time in coverage when he did play. We can fill his role ST's pretty easily.

19. MtlBoltsFan

Ratings:
    +383
    Oh wait you are right you did support him.

But you made fun of his weight which means you trashed him :yes:

Yes Wade was good at shuffling Merriman and Phillips around but it doesn't take a genius to do that. Wade had Donnie who was outstanding at making defensive calls and masking the blitzes. Aside from being dragged around everywhere, Donnie was actually OUTSTANDING for us. He was a premiere coverage linebacker, he was a sure-tackler, he blitzed very well, he made great calls, he had the speed to take it to the house on interceptions, he made tackles upfield that no inside linebacker currently on the defense save maybe Waters can make... believe me AP wouldn't not have rushed for nearly 300 with Donnie on the team, as odd as that sounds. Donnie was amazing and the type of player you can have in your 3-4 if you have a hardcore thumper like Godfrey and a defensive line that can really protect the linebackers. Right now we don't have that.

20. sdchrger

Ratings:
    +820
    We do, his name is Anthony Waters. :yes: I think that Waters will be forcing Ted into giving him playing time and by midseason he will be starting for us. I see him taking over for Cooper. I think that Wilhelm, mentally is the best ILB we have and he could fill the Donnie roll of "QB" for the defense (along with Weddle). I see Matt still with a lot of upside, and he will end up as one of the best coverage backers in the game. Cooper is fluid and a sure tackler, but to your point, he doesn't bring the wood. Waters and even Siler can light em up.

21. sdchrger

Ratings:
    +820
    Teddy could afford to drop a few. :yes:

22. Shamrock

Ratings:
    +1,243
    Donna Edwards is a *****.

He WAS a good coverage LB, five years ago. The last few years he couldn't run with anyone, and certainly wasn't a very good coverage LB. Only when he had the RB/TE in front of him while playing zone and reading the QB was he worth a crap in coverage. People overstate Edwards capabilities all the time, and it's pure garbage.

23. Boltjolt

Boltjolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402
    We beat them more soundly in the playoffs so i dont care how we beat them earlier. Earlier we werent the same team as they were down the stretch.

I do not agree with you about the ILB's and id think AJ doesnt either but i do agree that when Waters does take over for Wilhelm eventually, he will be an upgrade. Waters is going to be a stud. I do like Siler too but dont know if he will be an upgrade to Cooper.

Im not a big Igor fan either so in the 2009 draft we should be looking at a DT/DE to replace him, plus another OT when Sheldon shows he isnt that great.

I trashed Ted like no tomorrow but you can defend him all you want and i did back off but he still wasnt good at utilising Merriman as well as Wade and attacking a welll as Wade but we did get more turnovers with Ted but we lacked in other areas such as Sacks and QB pressures and he failed to get pressure on Brady in the championship game.

As for Donnie against AP.....LOL...AP would have run Donnie and his 220 lbs over like he was a blocking dummy.

24. loweezy

loweezy BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +45
    How can you prove that? It still starts up front. A banged up d line, coupled with our best run stuffing corner out of the game, really gave way on the edges for AP. Donnie would have been dragged a lot in that game. =P

25. Shamrock

Ratings:
    +1,243
    If Donna was still on the team biting ankles, then Peterson would have gone for 400 yards.

26. sdchrger

Ratings:
    +820
    Igor has improved every year and could transition to NT in a couple of years. He is slow off the snap and will never be great at rushing the passer, but the dude is stout against the run and can push the pile. Wait until his "old man strength" kicks in and the guy will be a rock in the middle for run defense. I think he may be the reason why AJ isn't looking too hard for Jamal's eventual replacement.

I think the change of environment will be good for Shelton and I wouldn't be shocked if he is our starting RT this season. To play for that horrible Phin team and oline must have sucked the spirit right out of the guy.

27. MtlBoltsFan

Ratings:
    +383
    I would like everyone to watch this:

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Y3IaMr_S508&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Y3IaMr_S508&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

1st play - McKinnie locks onto Igor and drives him backwards. Jamal gets locked onto and can't move laterally.
    2nd play - Luis gets abused and as a result Merriman is left hanging on the edge trying to compensate for Luis and cover two gaps with a blocker in front of him and even though Jamal disengages he does not have the chance to pursue to the sideline. AP busts down the sideline.
    3rd play - Cooper gets blown up by the fullback and AP waltzes in. I can't tell who is on the right edge but it looks like Polk. What the **** is he doing in a three technique on the goal line? Anyway he gets abused too.
    4th play - Wilhelm drops back in coverage and is too late to react to the dump off to AP, Wilhelm lacks the athleticism to ride him out of bounds anyway. Cooper was assigned to one guy, Wilhelm to either AP or simply the intermediate zone. Regardless he completely sucks and got abused by similar plays all throughout the season. There were only two guys coming out of the backfield and Cooper's guy was clearly the fullback. Give me a break Wilhelm. I am not asking you to be an amazing athlete but with better reaction time your put yourself in better positioning and compensate for the lack of athleticism.
    5th play - Jamal doesn't hold his ground. He needed to stay lower to the ground. He gets ridden to the turf by the center and AP waltzes through the middle of the defense. I BEG you to look at Igor on this play... just HORRID... he was completely vulnerable to being washed out of the play and that's what he gets. Cooper sits back instead of shooting the gap because he sees a lineman coming towards him. Another case of overpursuit and not playing the gaps but keeping his eye on AP who takes a counter step which helps the linemen ride out the defenders while AP then changes direction.
    6th play - Looks like Bingham is in and he is cleared easily. What's worse is that on 3rd and 3 we use Weddle as an LB because of his coverage ability (which speaks VOLUMES about the confidence Ted has in Cooper and Wilhelm in coverage) and because of Bingham, Hutchinson is able to chip Weddle and AP just hurdles him and takes off.
    7th play - Cooper does a great job taking on a block but Wilhelm looks like a bozo out there in pursuit. It was all on Wilhelm there to stop AP near the LOS.
    8th play - Wilhelm doesn't want to take on a blocker so he gets driven back. Igor plays totally out of control (and demonstrates his pathetic football IQ) which is critical because if he is able to hold his ground Cesaire does a great job in backside pursuit and would be able to get to AP. Looks like Polk is in there and he effs up too but Igor is the main reason this play is successful for Minnesota.
    9th play - Jamal gets owned at the point of attack and that screws up the whole play.
    10th play - The entire line gets owned at the POA and Wilhelm just puts himself out of position to make a play. Bonehead move by Wilhelm.

Peterson is an amazing RB but just like everyone else, if you control your gaps, you shut down AP. It's that simple. RB's do not control their own destiny. AP running for 298 was more due to Igor, Jamal, Luis, Bingham, Wilhelm, Cooper, than anyone else.

I have no respect for Igor, Wilhelm, Bingham or Cooper as football players. Luis is great if he is healthy. Jamal is great if he is healthy. If they are not, they play like crap and don't expect me to give them a free pass if they are not healthy.

28. sdchrger

Ratings:
    +820
    The Chargers defense was owned that day by AP and the Vikes oline.

One of the poorest efforts in years by a Chargers' defense. The loss was just as much on your boy Teddy as it was on the players. The Chargers were not prepared to play that day and had the asses handed to them.

That being said, that was not the norm for the players and the entire defense. It doesn't surprise me that you would pick their worst effort in years as your evidence of their abilities.

That would be like taking a game where Jake Peavy gets pulled in the third inning as an example of what a ****** pitcher he is.

29. MtlBoltsFan

Ratings:
    +383
    Did I not just remind you how the players took responsibility for the loss and told the media they played like a bunch of women? At least they know that they suck.

Minnesota will win the NFC this year if AP stays healthy, guaranteed.

30. sdchrger

Ratings:
    +820
    I like Minnesota in the North. I don't think they are a SB team though. They have the magic recipe, in that they can run the ball at will and can stop the run.

AP has not shown that he can make it thru an entire season, college or pro, without getting hurt. That's not that big a deal to me, as Chester Taylor is also a stud and can carry the load if needed.

To me the key is Tavaris Jackson. He has to play mistake free ball for the Vikes to win and he at times is prone to mental lapses. If he can manage the game properly, then they will be a dangerous team.