1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Will LT consider Denver?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by matilack, Feb 9, 2010.

1. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    http://espn.go.com/blog/afcwest/post/_/id/9861/big-stories-brewing-in-the-afc-west
    LaDainian Tomlinson: Clayton also touched on Tomlinson’s situation. San Diego is expected to cut him soon. Clayton said Denver may be one of two (along with Houston) landing spots for Tomlinson. It would kill San Diego fans to see Tomlinson end his career in Denver.

We look forward to monitoring these stories in what is shaping up to be a busy offseason in the division.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Aggieman

Aggieman I bleed blue and gold

Ratings:
    +194
    Denver picked up Knowshon Moreno and Buckhalter last year. They actually managed to develop a great running game with those two and Tomlinson offers nothing but upside. I could definitely see him becoming a Bronco with a pay cut. I still think he'll be a Texan and partially responsible for their 2-1 Playoff record next year. Yep, put them in the AFC Championship with LT on board.

3. scratchnz

scratchnz BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +91
    Agreed.

LT will go to the Texans and finish his career.

Kubrick knows how to run the ball and he will build around LT. Texans will go to the playoffs and LT will probably rush for 1200-1400 yards...

...another slap in the face to the Chargers? Maybe?

4. NORV4LIFE

NORV4LIFE NO MORE NORV!!!!!

Ratings:
    +58
    Geez it seems like Denver has had like 30 starting running Backs since terrel davis over a decade ago. Every year they have a different starting RB. Now LT? WTF? WHo will it be next year,? Frank Gore or something?

5. count_agranoff

count_agranoff BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2
    I really wish LT could stick it out one more year in SD, but i think sadly it's not about money, but ego. I don't think he likes being on River's chargers. hope I'm wrong.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +689
    No chance he plays in Denver. Why would he go there?

He is from TX so I see Houston as a much more likely landing spot.

• Like Like x 1
  7. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    He's going to Miami... or Jacksonville.

8. Brundlefly

Brundlefly Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +370
    Lot to the wut?

9. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    There appears to be a certain mutual distaste between Brandon Marshall and the coaches and management. If LT is going to wind up in Denver, perhaps a trade could be arranged if they want LT enough. Despite Marshall's rather checkered behavior, it might be worth a shot.

10. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    Emmitt Smith once referred to himself during his last years in Dallas as a "diamond in the trash"

He went to Arizona for two years and his last year there was decent when he broke the record.

Other than that, he was done. Arizona needed his name and the recognition of his record being broken in their uniform. It was a good move for all involved.

LT looks at the career rushing yards leaders and knows he wants to get to #4 (past Curtis Martin). He wants the top 4 to read: Smith, Payton, Sanders, Tomlinson. He has no shot at getting past Barry.

He needs over 1600 yards to pass Martin. He's no longer a starting RB, but if he can play another 3 years and avg. about 550/yr... he'll get there and then some.

So he needs to go somewhere warm, with a run-first offensive mentality, and a defense that can give his offense opportunities. Both of these teams offer this.

He also says he wants a ring. So with Miami he's got an outside chance of having that happen in the next 3 years.

Jacksonville needs to get a buzz going to boost their value and prep for the sale and/or move.

Only other place I can picture him is in Carolina, if they decide to shop Stewart and feel they need to shore up their backfield.

11. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    this is another reason to trade LT rather than just let him go. Where he many land. I would guess big time that he'll land in new orleans or one of the texas teams. But you never know.

YOu also have to realize. LT knows our offense inside and out. It would not be smart to trade him to a afc team. Thats a given.

12. BoltzRule

BoltzRule Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155
    It's probably a pride/ego thing. He's not getting the carries he used to, probably a tough thing to adjust to after all the years of being THE offense (although he won't be the focal point on any contending team). LT will say he wants to stay in SD, but won't renegotiate (pride again), he won't get anywhere near what he's getting now, so he's pretty much willing to take less money to play elsewhere (doesn't sound like wanting to stay). Although he isn't the only fading star to do it and won't be the last.

So really if he wants to be on a contender, he'll be used the same way (Colts, Texans) while getting paid less.

Could you imagine if that loss was to our Bolts. That would probably be brutal for him to see and experience, especially if he wants to win as badly as he says.

Also the problem with any trade is:
    1. If he's on the roster after March 1st they have to pay him $1 mil.

2. A team would have to want him enough to trade a draft pick and to absorb his contract.

We did it with Seau so I wouldn't doubt it, but I'm sure LT would much rather be cut. It'll come down to whether AJ thinks he can get anything for him (enough to warrant paying the 1 mil) and whether he feels he owes LT the respect of just letting him go.

13. Chargers-Superhero

Chargers-Superhero Just win the Damn SB !!!

Ratings:
    +117
    Trade LT straight up for MJD of Jacksonville :icon_rofl:

14. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    :lol:

Alright, so I slept on it and came up with a quick and dirty analysis of LTs options around the league:

He's actually got more than I though originally...

I'm basing this on two main criteria:
    1. Is he better than the current starting RB?
    2. What's the weather like and how will it affect the field and his old bones when he gets hit.

Remember, he's got to play at least 3 more years and average 550 yds per year to break into the top 4 all time rushers.

Check it and comment if you like

Arizona - sorry
    Atlanta - sorry (backup to Turner would be humiliating)
    baltimore - sorry (Cam loves ya'... but no room for you there... and it's cold)
    buffalo - sorry (backup to Jackson likely, as they may get rid of Lynch... but you won't win and it's cold... and you'll be on the same team as TO)
    carolina - sorry
    chicago - sorry (backup to Forte possible, but it's cold and you'll be playing with douchebag cutler)
    cincinnati - sorry
    cleveland - sorry (backup to Harrison is possible, but it's cold)
    dallas - sorry
    denver - sorry
    detroit - sorry (actually, this might be best chance to start... but you're not gonna win)
    green bay - sorry (but backup to Grant is nice... but it's cold)
    houston - sorry (but backup near hometown is nice idea)
    indianapolis - sorry
    jacksonville - sorry (but backup to MJD in warm weather is appealing)
    kansas city - sorry (but backup to Jamaal Charles possible... it gets cold though)
    miami - sorry (but backup to Ricky or Ronnie in warm weather ain't bad)
    minnesota - sorry
    new england - sorry (well, maybe... but too cold and classless :lol:)
    new york giants - sorry
    new york jets - sorry
    new orleans - sorry
    oakland - sorry (but they'd probably take ya)
    philadelphia - sorry
    pittsburgh - sorry
    saint louis - sorry
    san diego - ok, but you'll probably be a backup
    san francisco - sorry (backup to Gore possible, though)
    seattle - possible... (new regime so very possible)
    tampa bay - sorry
    tennessee - sorry
    washington - sorry too cold, although you'd probably get a shot at starting under Shanahan. Too cold though... so sorry.

15. Sandolf

Sandolf Blue Moon Rising

Ratings:
    +411
    They are not going to renegotiate again. The $2 mil. roster bonus is the one way ticket out the door!

16. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    I know. But I didn't want to hold that against him. :lol:

17. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +689
    The roster bonus is 2Mil and if he is released before the March 5th they can buy him out for 1 Mil.

There will not be a whole lot of $$$ out there on the FA market for him and a trade is out of the question. No team is going to suck up that 5M knowing the chargers will release him prior to March 5th.

18. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    :yes:

Either LT wants a ring
    or
    He wants to pile up yards

He can't have both.

His best option for a ring is to stay put and accept what the Chargers would be willing to give.

We know this isn't going to happen.

No contender is going to pay him what he wants.

So he'll have to settle for a mediocre team and putting up mediocre numbers until he finally calls it quits.

Sad that it has come to this.

19. BoltzRule

BoltzRule Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155
    Thanks. For some reason I thought it was only 1.

20. NORV4LIFE

Ratings:
    +58
    Great idea. I like this! We'd be unstoppable with vj and marshall!

21. Brundlefly

Brundlefly Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +370
    **** yea for more character issues and immaturity!

22. NORV4LIFE

Ratings:
    +58
    Thats just what we need to put us over the hump right?:icon_rofl:

ANyway LT as a Bronco would be worse than Jerry Rice becoming a Raider or emitt Smith becoming a cardinal.