1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Will Malcolm Floyd make pro bowl this year?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by SatchBolt, Aug 28, 2012.

1. SatchBolt

SatchBolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +7
    If he can stay healthy he should.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,401
    That's a BIG "if"........ #imjustsaying

3. Whooki Mane

Whooki Mane BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +271
    I dont see how he would realistically get in unless he had like 1,400 yards 12 tds... everyone knows the pro bowl is a popularity contest and I love floyd but I dont think he'd win a popularity contest

4. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,407
    People still care about the Pro bowl?

5. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +500
    I'm with you Leo........ Pro Bowl is a waste of column inches. Like Whooki says it's a popularity contest and is not a reflection of reality imho. I'm more interested in Malcom staying healthy and having his usual > 1000 yds receiving and about 12 TDs.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    He has a better chance of making IR.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  7. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,976
    No. Kaeding will be our representative to the vacation bowl.

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    CHARGERS: Healthy and targeted more than ever, Floyd on verge of breakthrough
    [​IMG]

Chargers receiver Malcom Floyd is off to a hot start this season. LENNY IGNELZI | Associated Press

SAN DIEGO ---- Malcom Floyd is at times a forgotten man.
    Attention was diverted toward fellow Chargers receiver Vincent Jackson for so many seasons, whether it was because of his on-field exploits, off-field problems or drama-filled contract issues. This offseason, it shifted toward new wideouts Robert Meachem and Eddie Royal, who were imported with big contracts and big expectations.
    Floyd was credited for his ability to make their transition easier, rarely for being able to change games himself.
    Floyd isn't your typical spotlight-craving receiver. He goes about his weekly routine, minds his own business, and makes spectacular catches on Sunday.
    Much of the focus during the preseason was on Antonio Gates' health, the chemistry (or lack thereof) between Meachem and quarterback Philip Rivers, and Royal ability to assimilate quickly after missing so much time with an injury.
    Floyd, however, was rarely discussed. That doesn't mean he wasn't preparing himself for a big season.
    "It seems to me that he's doing what he's always done," Rivers said. "Maybe it's been under-appreciated ---- not in the locker room, but outside it ---- but Malcom's capable of doing great things. When he's available, I've never known him not to have a huge impact on the game."
    When he's available ---- there's the rub.
    Floyd has played only one full season in the last six years. Because of those lost games, he has never had more than 50 catches, six touchdowns or 1,000 yards.
    In stretches, he has been tough to stop. He started 2010 with 498 yards and three touchdowns in five games before succumbing to an injury. He had four 100-yard games in 2011, but they were split up by a four game inactive stretch.
    He's going strong yet again this season, with 175 yards and a touchdown in the first two games, including a six-reception, 109-yard performance Sunday against Tennessee.
    Floyd knows that he needs to sustain this level of play over a full season. In a contract year, he hopes he can do so.
    "This is the best my body's ever felt," Floyd said. "I wake every day feeling confident and explosive. When I'm healthy, great things happen for us in terms of what I'm able to do on the field. It's about being physically sound. When you're not, it hurts your confidence.
    "That's why I take things one day at a time now, because you never know when something will get at you. The 2010 season started out so well, which is why it was so frustrating to get knocked off track by injury. The focus is trying to take care of my body as best I can. If I stay healthy, I'm going to contribute."
    Rivers has targeted him 14 times already, significantly more than any other receiver. Despite all the money spent on others, Floyd has become the go-to guy of the receiver corps.
    Sometimes he gets the ball because he's wide open. Other times, he's open only in Rivers' mind.
    "That comes with nine years working together," Rivers said. "There's a great trust and a great understanding between the two of us. I can anticipate his decisions and feel what he's about to do on a route. He seems to know where I want to throw it before I actually let it go. There's a great comfort level, and it gives you confidence to let it rip when in other situations I may not."
    Floyd is being targeted more than the other receivers because of his 6-foot-5 frame, his 40-inch vertical and his reliability when fighting to catch passes in the air.
    "Right now, you're seeing the way he can play when he's healthy," Turner said. "He puts a string of quality games together when he is, because he's such a huge matchup problem."
    That's why Floyd's major focus is on staying healthy. He has rearranged his routine to do so, devoting significant time to ensuring that he's in great physical shape.
    "I rarely go out. I don't stay up late too often anymore," Floyd said. "It's so important to take advantage of the rest you do get. It helps with everything you're doing. When I'm not out practicing or working out, I'm doing everything necessary to stay on the field. That in itself is a full-time job."

Blackout coming?
    The Chargers wouldn't release the number of tickets needed to be sold before Thursday afternoon's deadline to avoid a blackout of Sunday's game against Atlanta. But there were 12,000 remaining on Sunday, and a source said the figure hasn't decreased much.
    There's virtually no chance that the required general tickets will be sold in time to prevent a blackout in the San Diego, Los Angeles and Palm Springs media markets. The announcement is expected to be made on Thursday around 1:05 p.m.

Et cetera
    RB Ryan Mathews (clavicle) was listed as a full participant in Wednesday's practice in shells, and is expected to sustain that activity level Thursday when the team works out in pads. TEAntonio Gates (ribs) was limited, and his soreness will determine whether his activity can increase. RB Curtis Brinkley (knee) and TE Dante Rosario (calf) were limited. WR Eddie Royal (shoulder) was a full participant. ... The only players to miss practice were LT Jared Gaither (back) and CB Shareece Wright (ankle). Both are expected to be out for a prolonged period. ... Free-agent CB Chris Carr worked out with the team on Tuesday, but left without a contract and won't be signed this week.

• Like Like x 1
  9. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    Disagree with that article; it's not that he's forgotten, its that he's just not counted on because he can't stay healthy. Since he started breaking out in 2006, I think he's spent a single season completely healthy. Every year its something that knocks him out for part or the full season. If he shows he can be healthy for a full year especially coming into a contract year, that could give the Chargers pause to debate about keeping him. But two games in, even two very good games in, doesn't a season make

10. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,976
    Floyd will not make the Pro Bowl, because the Referees will only count half of his touch downs...:whistling:

11. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    [​IMG]

12. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,976
    You did not just challenge my post... My posts are unchallengable! Check the rule book!

13. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    RULES?!?!??! I don't need no stinking rules.

14. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,072
    I thought we made the rules up as we went along here

15. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,072
    rules are for people who do not understand reality

16. RandyJR

RandyJR BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +6
    Im here to break the rules!!

17. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2,151
    Step 1: Suck it, Mr. Apostrophe! (we're gonna have more lawlessness here than an Outback in Colombia!)

18. MadMike

MadMike Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +504
    Conc, in the off-season we got together and decided your posts were so bad that they are now automatically reviewed after each one.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,976
    That is in the rule book too.

20. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,976
    :(