1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Will Merriman be resigned after this season?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by 14fouts, Dec 16, 2009.

1. 14fouts

14fouts BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +11
    Since Shawn Merriman is in the final year of his contract what does everybody think will he and should he be resigned?

2. LV Bolt Fan

LV Bolt Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432
    Yes. :yes: :tup: :icon_party:

3. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    He will be taged next year and if he plays good we will sign him the next year... :tup:

I think... :icon_shrug:

4. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,806
    :yes:

5. 14fouts

14fouts BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +11
    I have mixed feelings- I think if he can get back to the player he was and stay healthy we should but who knows if he ever will sometimes when a player gets one injury- its just one nagging one after another- and with the the young lbs we have siler, and english and hopefully phillips will be 100% next maybe we would be better off without him- he has kinda been a distraction the last few years imo, and maybe draft another young passrusher next draft and develop him. :icon_shrug:

6. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,407
    I'll care about this after the season is over, which hopefully won't be until Feb 8th.

7. IFiredCHart

IFiredCHart Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +96
    Acee has insinuated that AJ thinks Merriman is a distraction, but I do not buy it--he would have been traded before the season if this were the case.

I think AJ did try to send a wake up call that football is the top priority, though, and although I think Shawne has been a bonehead trying to play with his injury, I at least respect his heart for being in the right place.

8. 14fouts

14fouts BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +11
    Not necessarily- they werent gonna trade him at beginning of season coming off of surgery- nonone woulda gave up nething to get him not knowing how effective he was gonna be.

9. loweezy

loweezy BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +45
    Acee is just pushing his own agenda because he predicted this was Merriman's last year as a Charger.

Barring a new labor agreement, Merriman will be a restricted free agent this offseason and may still be franchised or tendered the highest tender. He'll remain a Charger until it no longer makes sense to tag him... unless he signs long term. AJ knows what his value is to this defense... we shall see.

10. vmax

vmax BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +5
    As a restricted free agent we can tender him at the lowest level and if someone else signs him we get a pick equal to where he was drafted (round 1). If another team is not willing to give that much up for him we get one more year to evaluate his health and ability for a very reasonable price or AJ could use him as trade bait on draft day. It seems like a win-win for the chargers with AJ holding all of the cards. Personnally I would prefer to see us sign him long term, I think when he comes back next year fully healthy he will be great once again.

11. TCHDNSD

TCHDNSD BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +28

We have a winner

12. sdchrger

sdchrger Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +820
    Close.

If there is no CBA in place by March 1sr then he will be a restricted free agent as opposed to an unrestricted free agent. The same goes for Marcus McNeill and VJ. If that is the case then we can tender any or all of them. We could go with the low tender (unlikely) and if any of them gets signed then we receive a pick back from the team that signed them in the same round that they were taken (first, second, second). I say it's unlikely because the tender amount would be way under market value and I don't see the need to insult any of those players by doing that.

What will most likely happen is that each will receive either the high tender (right of first refusal & 1st round pick) or highest tender (right of first refusal and 1st & 3rd round picks). I think that we try to lock up Jackson and McNeill long term and continue to rent Merriman as long as he performs.

13. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,976
    Concur

14. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +635
    I agree

15. cool arrow

cool arrow BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +21

:tup:

16. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    I think AJ should explore signing Merriman at the end of the year to an incentive filled contract, until he proves he's 100%

17. 14fouts

14fouts BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +11
    I agree and if hes not up to par next year- then its "Lights Out" :lol:

18. NORV4LIFE

NORV4LIFE NO MORE NORV!!!!!

Ratings:
    +58
    tennder him!!! THen get a 1st round pick!

19. bigmike.x.09

bigmike.x.09 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +280
    he's gunna be solid in playoffs and will get a short extension

20. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    Fixed it for you Leo! :)

21. IFiredCHart

IFiredCHart Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +96
    In terms of character, what sold me on Merriman as not being one of those self-absorbed thugs was when he toted the firefighter hat after the tragic wildfires swept through the area...he cares about the area and the community and is someone who has been far from a locker room cancer.

22. loweezy

loweezy BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +45
    I agree. He seems to have a good heart.... and I think any "rift" between him and AJ is overblown by the media. AJ might not like certain aspects of Merriman's life, but to assume he doesn't value Shawne in terms of what he brings to this football team is out of bounds IMO.

He is a locker room leader and the furthest thing from a cancer.

23. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    Unless he kicks serious a** in the playoffs and gets Super Bowl MVP, I doubt he'll get what he's making now.

24. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,551
    Merriman is going to be a bargain after this ****** season. He's still the vocal and emotional leader of our defense, and he's only going to be 26 which means there is plenty of time to get healthy and back on track as an impact player.

And in the interest of not having to spend another high pick on an 3-4 OLB I think AJ should at least give it a shot.

25. RipTheJacker

RipTheJacker Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +152
    I hope so, but i doubt it

26. Boltergeist

Boltergeist BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +111
    It depends on how crazy Shawne's contract demands are....If he starts talking DeMarcus Ware money....we're not even giving him close to that. Shawne hasn't been at that level in over 3 years at this point...and when he was, there will always be the lingering questions as to how PEDs helped him. His off the field shenanigans won't help either.

I honestly don't see us franchise tagging him....and I think a long-term signing is unlikely too, because some team out there like the Redskins will be willing to unlock the vault for him in the hopes that he regains his 2006 dominance. Shawne is down the line of our signing priorities when we have VJ, McNeill (another guy I don't think is worth it), Sproles (this is the guy I think we franchise again), Floyd, and Gates (we don't want to even let him touch the FA market...sign him now).

27. 14fouts

14fouts BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +11
    I agree and although I like merriman a lot. U have to wonder how much his stellar play in the past was due to the peds. I dont think we really need him honestly with the young talent we have on def and maybe we can sign a decent veteran pass rusher in the off season or draft a young pass rusher if theres one available we like.