1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Will Norv be able to Motivate-Part Deux!

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Daddy_O, Apr 23, 2007.

1. Daddy_O

Daddy_O Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +300
    I wasn't finished. Freakin' control junkies locking down a thread just when we're getting somewhere. Hate it when that happens. :lol:

Let's start off with an analasys of the current Coaching Staff and how Norv fits in. I for one, would appreciate the other points ov view on this.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Just be sure to get SDC's permission to post, and ensure that you never post anything he doesnt agree with.

3. Thunderstruck

Thunderstruck BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +272
    Norv is our de facto offensive coordinator. He will adminstrate like a head coach, but he won't be the emotional leader that Marty was. He'll be pretty much hands-off when it comes to the defensive side of the ball, and he'll micromanage the offense.

Does this team need a motivator? That's the question I have. I've said a few times (which always draws in Conc like a magnet) that our team might need to be a little less motivated (as in, be a little less uptight) --especially in the postseason. I know our team sure didn't look very relaxed and/or poised against New England, and Marty hyperventilating on the sidelines and throwing challenge-flags on the field in desperate hope doesn't help matters any.

It all remains to be seen, but I'm sure not going to be worried about Norv's ability to motivate. If you're going to worry about something worry about how his game-management will be, or whether he'll be able to maintain the team's discipline and/or work-ethic. But players don't have to have a rah-rah head coach to play hard for four quarters--that's been proven many times in the last few years. Our 13-pro-bowlers / pro-bowl alternates aren't suddenly going to forget how to play or how they got to their present level just because Marty's no longer there to yell "one play at a time" every 5 minutes.

4. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Our 13-pro-bowlers / pro-bowl alternates aren't suddenly going to forget how to play or how they got to their present level just because Marty's no longer there to yell "one play at a time" every 5 minutes

Blah Blah Blah....

I supose that last season the "13-pro-bowlers / pro-bowl alternates" were well motivated in the begining of the Denver and Cinci game huh?

Yeah lets all sing koombya and think that the players are some how going to manage to be up all the time and not be human because that is what all you pom-pom shakers want to think.

5. When Lightning Strikes

When Lightning Strikes Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +68
    the players will suffer due to marty not being around anymore..

6. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Or the DC or LB Coach will do the job that we expect a HC to do.

7. sdchrger

sdchrger Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +820
    I cannot speak for anyone else, but I know that I have serious concerns about Norv's ability to motivate.

Afterall, the only real success he has had was with a talent laden team is Dallas a hundred. Two failures as a HC and an undistinguished record since then as an OC doesn't bode well for our future.

8. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Norv will be a glorified QB coach and an AJ yes man.

That is all.

9. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Some like T-struck say motivation isnt a problem. That players should be able to motivate themselves.

Forget the great choaches of the NFL teams of the past, and how the greats are all considered great motivators. Lets say this isnt needed. That the players are inhuman and never get down. Never question themselves.

Will Norv be able to maintain control over this young team who had so much troubles last season?

10. sdchrger

Ratings:
    +820
    I think in the past good coaches could pull a little bit more out of their players just when they needed it most. I think that's the motivation that your talking about.

I think the modern coach just like his counterpart in the business world doens't need to do that anymore. Not to say that motivation is any less important today than it was 40 years ago. I think a good leader today increases motivation through solid leadership principles.

1. Recognize and reward performance
    2. Remove obstacles to performance
    3. Get individuals to commit to team goals (Global vs local objectives)
    4. Hold people accountable to poor performance
    5. Make everyone feel like their contributions are vital to overall success.
    6. Be prepared
    7. Admit mistakes and learn from them
    8. Have a plan of action that the entire group believes will lead to success
    9. Celebrate the victories
    10. Have fun.

If Norv can do these things than he will not have any problems motivating his team.

If he merely has to make on the field adjustments at halftime he will be fine. If he has to adjust attitudes at half, he could be in trouble.

11. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    How is a coach to recognize and reward performance in today's salary cap driven league?

I still say it is short sighted and very simplistic of thought to say that todays players do not need motivation. Somehow over the last 40 years people changed?

Today in the NFL olayers have to produce or ride the pine. No different than 40 years ago. Those players have stress, they have challenges, they need someone to focus and motivate them. There is no difference.

Why is it you only answer a question after people move on to the next one?

12. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Is this all you have to add? Thanks for waking up long enough to manage a post... :tdown:

13. sdchrger

Ratings:
    +820
    People are completely different today than they were 40 years ago and so are the skills needed to lead them.

We are arguing semantics. The items I listed are critical to creating a motivating environment. That is what is need in today's workplace.

A 25 male in 1960 had one parent working growing up, a high level of discipline at home, school, and at work, a low level of freedom and choices. He motivation was to provide for his family. He lived to work.

A 25 year old male today more than likely had both parents at work, learned independance early, has been inundated with personal choices. He is much more independant and is much less used to structure and discipline. He works to live.

You think you motivate those two people the same way? On a side note, I don't buy that nonsense about the money.

I truly believe that a boom or bust player is a much determined by the team and organization he is drafted into as it is by the player. That all relates back to the items I mentioned in the previous post.

14. sdchrger

Ratings:
    +820
    Without the sense of humor. :lol:

15. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Well thank you for the elementry attempt a social sciences. But you are wrong and your thinking is woefully shallow.

What motivates people is the same today as it was back then. To live, to thrive and to be happy. Family make up, hugs as a child, or any other such nonsense have only a surface impact.

People today as well as 40 years ago have stress. They have to supprot themselves, theor families. They have to be able to maintian identity as well as lifestyle.

Todays players are not much different from players of 40 years ago. Yes today's players do not have to have second or third jobs, but they still have to work hard to remian on the team.

They have to respond to stress, they have to be able to support thmeselves, their identity and their families.

You think that has changes over the past 40 years then you are taking a very superficial look at things.

16. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Oh wait. Let me have a sense of humor like you!

YOU DIDNT POST SOMETHING I AGREE WITH, YOUR SCUM!!!!

Hows that, a real rib splitter huh?

17. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    What are these guys selling Amway? do they need motovational tapes and video's and an HC that rattles the pom-poms to get up for a game?
    Hell I guess we should just pack it in for the term of Norv's contract and follow another team untill we get a Rha-Rha type guy.

I don't believe Chuck Noll was that way, it was his way or the highway, paly or get the hell out of here. If that aint motivation then I don't know what is.:bolt2:

18. sdchrger

Ratings:
    +820
    Now your are just arguing for arguing sakes.

Don't take me word for it. There is tons of literature on the differences between the generations from the boomers, to Gen X, to Gen Y, to the Echo-Boomers.

Keep playing the ostrich with your head in the sand if it makes you happy, but the ability to drive behavior (i.e. to motivate) has changed more in the past 50 years than the 500 years preceding it.

19. sdchrger

Ratings:
    +820
    :trout: :trout: :trout:

20. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    You know, we have met. But you have no idea as to what education I have had.

I know your in training and you have all the lastest quips that are popular right now for training. But that is not the whole picture, that is a very select mindset for a single type of demographics.

Look into what your saying and look beyond the top level. Look at the basics, what is it everyone needs.

If you can manage to do that without looking down your nose and still say that players today dont need motivation because they didnt get hugged as children then I will know you dont know jack ****.

21. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Damn, more SDC humor.

22. Daddy_O

Ratings:
    +300
    Thank you for a solid response. I agree with everything you stated. I wonder if Rivera or Cotrell will be promoted during the season in lieu of he required motivator.

Would we have lost draft pics to SF if Norv was a lateral hire as a coordinator?

BTW, why does this thread smell like salmon? :icon_huh:

23. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    [​IMG]

Found a poster for all you who thinks the players dont need motivation.

24. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    [​IMG]

Here is another.

25. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    [​IMG]

I'm postin this one just cause I like it.

26. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
  27. Daddy_O

Ratings:
    +300
    Conc, we love you man, come back soon. :tup:

28. Concudan

Ratings: